v8, 383 stroker swap thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > v8, 383 stroker swap thread

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I like all the great input here, The motor however wont get delivered til tomarrow. I have done alot of research on axles, I think the 8.8 is the cheaper rout as well as it will go in easier i could always start with it. And slowly upgrade ad build a ford 9" on the side. I just hate when you have to do something twice, Id hate to destroy it the first day out wheeling. I will not be easy on it by no means.

however im thinking of engine mounts, atm I was thinking of the bolt in craddle i seen a few years back, However Im not sure if it will hold up to be the abuse not only i throw at it but as well the engine.

Also was thinking about the water pump, a friend wanted me to go with an electric one, i just think that will open anther thing to fail..

on another note im going to go with a holley carb truck off road avenger. any objections to this.

V8JeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The 8.8 will hold up just fine. And if you want to be sure get some chromolly shafts and a full carrier locker. Then it will be as strong or stronger than a 9" with the stock jeep width.

I thought a carburated motor would be just fine for me but now I regret not going with fuel injection and will soon be swapping a TBI setup in.

I used Novaks weld in motor mounts and they have been great!

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #18
KreepyCrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8JeepGuy View Post
I like all the great input here, The motor however wont get delivered til tomarrow. I have done alot of research on axles, I think the 8.8 is the cheaper rout as well as it will go in easier i could always start with it. And slowly upgrade ad build a ford 9" on the side. I just hate when you have to do something twice, Id hate to destroy it the first day out wheeling. I will not be easy on it by no means.

however im thinking of engine mounts, atm I was thinking of the bolt in craddle i seen a few years back, However Im not sure if it will hold up to be the abuse not only i throw at it but as well the engine.

Also was thinking about the water pump, a friend wanted me to go with an electric one, i just think that will open anther thing to fail..

on another note im going to go with a holley carb truck off road avenger. any objections to this.
Sorry to ask this if you already said it... but how much is the 383 costing you? I am looking into a 383 swap for a strictly off-road jeep and have to add up all of the costs to get a general idea.
KreepyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well im kinda of getting a really really good deal on this motor i payed 500 dollars for just the motor comes with heads ect. however my buddy has more in the cam then that. just doesnt have anything to put it in. its been sitting on the stand in his garage for awhile now i will have to get a water pump and all the accessories and so forth. but for 500 bucks i couldnt let that go. i already got offered a 1000 for it. my buddy had paid for it to built it was a little over 1700 when it first got built and that was just for the base motor internals ect no heads.

TBI will be down the road, but dont want to shell out the ponies atm.

Im going to look at some other build threads right now to get some more ideas

let me know if you have any build threads in mind i should see.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Alright got the motor today and its pretty wild how this is going to come together...

Im thinking of going with an automatic transmission now however maybe something with the roll stop not for sure what yet but i will upload pictures of the project here pretty soon.

what gear ratio you guys running in your 8.8 ford rear ends?]]]Moser Axles Ftw?

Last edited by V8JeepGuy; 04-08-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go with 4.56.

I am running 3.73 with my 700R4 and its too much. At 70mph i am sitting at around 1300-1400 rpm. Sounds good except it puts hella presure on the trans components. I recently turned my 4 Speed 700R4 into a 2 speed Powerglide because my gearing wasn't low enough. Its ok, because I can get 65 out of 2nd gear at around 2,200 rpm.

Minimum of 4.10, but i recomend 4.56. Someone else suggested the same to me, but i was a dumba$$ and didn't listen.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm runnin 4.10s with my 35s and th400 and at 80mph Its right about 3k and 65 is around 2500 so depend what you going to use your jeep for..

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What I meant was the extra pressure applied by the tall tires on the trans caused it to burn out 3rd gear and overdrive. The trans was struggling in overdrive and kept shifting back and forth due to the very low rpm. So now I am rocking a 700R4 as a 2 speed. The 700r4 has different gearing than the TH400, so the rpms are much different. You are pretty good with your rpm/speed, but mine wouldn't be as optimal.
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wasnt disagreeing with you I was just telling the OP my setup and what he could expect

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oops, sorry, misconstrued your statement.
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I need to look through some build threads and come up with some more ideas.
Unread 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

alright so im just getting parts together so i can take pictures and then dive right into doing this... Im really thinking i want to weld in motor mounts instead of the cradle. still throwing around ideas this will go into gear here very very soon. just glad to have sold the motor transfercase and transmission already covers what i paid for the motor and some other things hang in there updates are comming soon!
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah.... if/when you ever have to drop the pan (gasket, rear main seal, oil pump, etc) you'll be thankful you don't have that cradle in your way
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
V8JeepGuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im back

So recently bought a Harley been taking up some money. along with kids ect the cost of living and my blood pressure lol....

So I still have the same jeep in my profile, still have the 383 stroker, have not made any progress on it until today lol

I was given a 1982 K5 Blazer only thing missing is the motor. has fresh rebuild on tranny and transfer case.

Unfortunately it only has the 10 bolt front and rear axles

Fortunately it has the 700r4 tranny

Unsure, if I should use the np208 transfer case from it...

So I have decided that this will be done and I will start gathering and researching again. I have a few things that im waiting on to sell before I can go any deeper into this. but just would like to hear some thoughts and opinions

I have decided to go with the ford 8.8 get the tubes welded in replace carrier and throw some moser axles in it going to get the 32 spline with disc brakes. LSD probably auburn or whatever there called. either way I want to use the 700r4 my 383 the np208 transfer case since I have it.
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you decide to keep the 208 (that thing is HUGE and HEAVY) then you'll have to get a front axle from a chevy or older dodge, as that 208 is a passenger drop.... but it could be made to work easy enough.

My drivetrain came from a K5 also.... originally with the 208 like yours. I ditched the 208 (sold it on CL for $75) and went to a u-pull and picked up an NP-241 from an early-mid 90s chevy 2500 pickup. It's driver drop, bolted right up to the 700r4, and better still, there are SYEs available for the 241 (expensive, but available from JB conversions) where in my searching, I couldn't find a SYE for the 208.

Good luck, and take lots of pics... both for us AND for yourself... nice to look back and see your progress
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.