V-8 Conversion process started - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V-8 Conversion process started

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #121
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilyj View Post
How is mine not a true magnum. I am sure my mopar perf pcm is getting at least 250hp out of it.

Anywho I run rubicon express xd 4inch lift springs. No bent springs yet. But i try and keep the wrap under control by not hammering from a stand still. Kick down gear with the auto impresses everyone that's been in the passenger seat though.
was i talking to you? nope.

mopar has an LA block and a magnum top end. hence not a true magnum.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #122
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post

mopar have you had alot of problems with torqued springs with the magnum in there? i know yours isn't a true magnum but still...
I was having bad spring wrap and wheel hop after I went SOA. When I was still running SUA with the skyjacker springs I didn't notice any problems with wrap or hop. After the SOA flip I ended up having to go with a traction bar. I kept blowing u-joints up. After the traction bar all is well again and I can burn rubber to my heart's content if I so choose to.
I imagine my almost Magnum produces right around the same power a stock magnum engine produces because I have all magnum specific parts except roller lifters.

For the poster who asked why I used the block I did to build my engine, the simple answer is I had it laying around, so I used it. No other reason for it. I am currently (very slowly I might add) building a Magnum block to swap in place of the LA block as it is getting very very VERY tired.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #123
mylilyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
was i talking to you? nope.

mopar has an LA block and a magnum top end. hence not a true magnum.
Lol. My bad.
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #124
Prekman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Guys, without hijacking the thread, in place of a 5.2, a 4.7 from a WJ would it be awfully more difficult (and expensive) to swap...i've read a couple of posts about OBD and transmission issues? The reason for the question is that apparently the 4.7 would have a better m.p.gallon perf..I am talking about the "mild" 4.7 not the overland version.
Prekman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #125
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
I was having bad spring wrap and wheel hop after I went SOA. When I was still running SUA with the skyjacker springs I didn't notice any problems with wrap or hop. After the SOA flip I ended up having to go with a traction bar. I kept blowing u-joints up. After the traction bar all is well again and I can burn rubber to my heart's content if I so choose to.
I imagine my almost Magnum produces right around the same power a stock magnum engine produces because I have all magnum specific parts except roller lifters.

For the poster who asked why I used the block I did to build my engine, the simple answer is I had it laying around, so I used it. No other reason for it. I am currently (very slowly I might add) building a Magnum block to swap in place of the LA block as it is getting very very VERY tired.
what type of traction bar are you running? i came by a skyjacker one with everything except the "C" bracket that welds to the axle for almost nothing.
however before the d60's go in, hopefully this summer, i will be sua and i am still wrapping my drivers side spring. i guess i'll drive a jeep that leans to the right until the axle swap is done.

you may want to look into a reman 5.2, that's the route i will be going after i get all the other large mods completed. you can find a fresh 5.2 magnum long block minus the intake and TB for right around $1500 before freight. the 5.9 isn't but a few hundred more and it will bolt right in and plug into every wire on your rig as well, just sayin . i'm already running a 5.9l ecm i am leaning towards this aswell.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #126
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prekman View Post
Guys, without hijacking the thread, in place of a 5.2, a 4.7 from a WJ would it be awfully more difficult (and expensive) to swap...i've read a couple of posts about OBD and transmission issues? The reason for the question is that apparently the 4.7 would have a better m.p.gallon perf..I am talking about the "mild" 4.7 not the overland version.
i have read somewhere that the 4.7 and the older 5.2 use a "mostly compatible bell housing bold pattern. if memory serves, i think there are 2 holes that need modified to put a 3.9l bell housing on the 4.7. do some research, i'm sure someone has a writeup on it somewhere here. or, go to the junkyard and ask for a bell housing from both, trace each on a piece of cardboard, and compare the differences.

as far as the obd is concerned i think one main difference is the lack of the ability to bypass the egr on the newer engines. that is other than the obvious fact it's a different diagnostic language used by the ecm, however many obd2 sensors are usable on an obd1 system. just not the other way, as in most computer applications, you can go back but can usually not go forward with compatibility in programming.

Unread 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #127
Prekman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thx Mike..Maybe better mileage is not worth the xtra money and the trickier installation..I think even in Novak pages they advise a chevy 360 then the 318 and do not talk at all for the 4.7...
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #128
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The 4.7 honestly isn't a great motor. There isn't much aftermarket support because they really aren't stout enough to handle much more power than a stock build.

Mike, the main reasons I am building a motor myself are;
I have a good block that I got for free.
Other than sourcing a cam I will have about $90 into rebuilding it.
My current heads have already been gone through so I am just going to transfer all that stuff over to the new block.
I have many many other things I could do with that extra $1400 like roll cage, goodies for the crossfire, etc.

As far as my traction bar, I just built it myself out of 1/4 wall tube and heim joints. I think I posted up pics of it in my build thread in my signature. I think for the tabs and everything I spent like $100 on it.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #129
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thx Mike..Maybe better mileage is not worth the xtra money and the trickier installation..I think even in Novak pages they advise a chevy 360 then the 318 and do not talk at all for the 4.7...
Everybody recommends a Chevy 350 swap because they are a dime a dozen. I personally wouldn't put one in any of mys rig to try to sell it. They are a garbage motor, the whole SBC line. You run them for a while then throw them away.
The magnum block I am building had well over 240,000 miles on it. Had never been apart before I dove into it. The factory crosshatching in the cylinder is still intact all over the bore except a very small spot at the very top of the cylinder. A simple hone job brought it back into great shape and a set of standard sized rings slide right in with perfect ring end gaps. Cant ask for better than that can I?
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #130
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, the 4.7 is garbage.
I know that will piss off all the grand cherokee guys, but I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #131
Prekman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

...so long for a potential and more expensive 4.7.. I will go for the 318...
Do you think it could be swaped with its transmission (auto) and tranny...modified in order to offer 2WD or a modified 231 + AX15 is easier? I've heard that there were clearance issues when placing the whole package (motor-transm-transfer) in YJ hood, though it can be done
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #132
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you think it could be swaped with its transmission (auto) and tranny...modified in order to offer 2WD or a modified 231 + AX15 is easier? I've heard that there were clearance issues when placing the whole package (motor-transm-transfer) in YJ hood, though it can be done
That's why you test fit everything.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #133
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i read this 3 times and have no idea what you are trying to ask here.

Unread 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #134
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 5.2 and 4spd auto fit in a yj like they were made to be there its really a shame chrysler never offered them in the yj there sales would have gone thru the roof. its not over powering the drive train (not counting the 35) gets better gas milage sounds alot better.

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #135
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can fit a 318 and its auto trans (A518 more than likely) along with a transfer case into a YJ. The auto it only about 2" longer than the AX-15 so it will work just fine as long as the engine is placed carefully in the frame to give as much clearance as possible. No need to downgrade to strictly 2wd to have an automatic.

Tags
5.2 , 5.2l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.