V-8 Conversion process started - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V-8 Conversion process started

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #91
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know!! Thanks

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #92
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

well mopar ol buddy here i am again, i have the motor mocked up in b/n the frame rails (remember i have no body or fenders on the ol girl) and i can't help but notice the small amount of clearance b/n the front driveshaft and the starter motor. i got the bell from a 2wd dakota and thought the starter might be pass side on a 4wd but in your pics it looks like your starter is also on the drivers side. i may be creating the problem by lifting the trans about 1.5"-2" to facilitate a flat underbelly skid. also the la blocks and the magnum blocks it seems use different types of motor mounts. i have a set of the adv. adapt. mounts. they bring the mounting points perpendicular to the motor not at an angle like yours. maybe i need to lift the motor up more but it seems by my measurements that i will have less than 3" of clearance to the hood after i put the cap on the intake (same one as in your pics). i will do my best to get you pics of the mounts. everything is sitting on the old mounts with shims at the moment to get measurements. where is the bottom of your exhaust manifold in comparison to the frame rail on the front of the motor? where i think is a good height has mine sitting about 2" above the frame rail to the bottom of the exhause manifold. i am too nervous to strike an arc without having asked someone who has completed the same swap.

in other words
PLEASE HELP!!! lol

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #93
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a drivers side starter as well. The tranny/tcase lift might be causing you trouble with your clearance with the driveline. Seems like your only option is to lift the motor up to give you the clearances you need. In my setup I have at least 2" of headroom on top of the motor before I come close to hood contact. I am aware that "Magnum" mounts are different than traditional LA blocks, however Magnum blocks retained the LA ears so if you are using a Magnum block you should be good either way.
Are you using the big tube front driveline or the small diameter one? I have the small one and just barely have enough clearance at full stuff between bell housing and driveline. You may need to pick up a small diameter one if you have the large one.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #94
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

still stock small diameter driveshaft. i think i may just scrap the idea of running a flat underbelly skid in this case. after i lift the jeep 4" (after cashflow allows) i can always look again to see if the mod is possible. right now i just want to make it all one piece. thanks again for the info mopar!

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #95
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Finally getting all the bugs worked out.
Replaced all the stock 90 YJ gauges with the nicer looking (to me anyway) 92+ gauges courtesy of JeepsOlot!
Discovered that the 2 wire VSS isnt sufficient for either the speedo or the PCM. Put a 3 wire in its place (no longer need the cable output) and the Jeep runs so much better AND my electronic speedo works. I finally have a working tach (didnt want to tap into the coil wire to run the old one).
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
Unread 02-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #96
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

nice to hear you got the thing running better. what kind of mileage are you getting? i am hoping to match 18mpg with the Cherokee i took the motor from. i know our results may vary slightly due to the different blocks and heads in our swap but i am hoping to beat the 14-16mpg the 4.o was getting. i still haven't turned the key on my magnum motor yet however, it is at the custom shop getting it's new wiring harness. i gave up on it, after so long you just have to admit defeat. what kind of exhaust did you run? got any vids, would love to hear it!

Unread 02-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #97
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

For right now the exhaust was just a hack and weld together job to get it on the road. When I get my plow truck sold I am going to have an exhaust made for it starting with center dump tight tuck headers going into 2.5 inch tubes, they will merge into a single 3 inch which will go straight into a high flow cat. I will have 2 O2 sensor bungs welded in so that I can finally wire up my second O2 sensor (basically just to clear the check engine light). I am not sure what kind of muffler I want to run but I want something LOUD and throaty to tell people what it is I have under the hood.
For mileage I really cant tell as of yet because without a proper VSS the PCM never knew I was moving so it was not running on a proper fuel map. Running that way I was getting anywhere between 16 and 20 out of it. I suspect now that it is running properly (and the learning function of the PCM will be enabled) that I should be able to consistantly hit the 20 mark. I will take some video and post it up after I get my exhaust made up, it doesnt sound too great right now. Gotta find my bad lifter and get it replaced too.
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #98
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

cherry bomb vortex. they sound awesome. they are a lil pricy for a small muffler, but they are hi temp painted and made by a quality manufacturer.
i am more than likely going for the pro series however, mostly due to the fact that when i am working 3pm-3am i don't wake the neighborhood. that and so i can hear the radio on the way to work.

Unread 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #99
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds about what I am looking for. Might have to do some pricing around and see whats available. Seems like local shops around here dont do mandrel bent exhaust, they can only piece them together so I may end up just doing it myself if/when I can find the time. I have always been a fan of Cherry bomb glass packs (blown the stuffing out one or two in my day) so I think a turbo style muffler from them might be the way to go. Thanks for that info.
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #100
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For mileage I really cant tell as of yet because without a proper VSS the PCM never knew I was moving so it was not running on a proper fuel map.
So, your 2 wire VSS doesn't communicate properly with the PCM?
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #101
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin_Reaper View Post
So, your 2 wire VSS doesn't communicate properly with the PCM?
I thought it was, but turns out that it wasnt. The 3 wire doesnt send an on-off(5V) signal like the 2 wire does. It sends a high voltage(not quite 5V)-low voltage(almost 0V) square wave signal that the computer/speedo reads. I bet if you are running an OBD-I system that originally had a 2 wire you wont have any problems, but the OBD-II likes to have the 3 wire to be happy.
So far 40 miles and the fuel gauge is still reading above full. Its a different gauge than I had been running so I cant be too sure if its reading the same way but it seems to be. Time will tell.
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #102
Fin_Reaper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be running the 96 PCM as well - OBD2... I was sure hoping to keep my mechanical speedo.
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #103
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

very cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #104
Prekman
1994 YJ Wrangler 

First CONGRATS, MoparFreak that's quite a post you've made REALLY helpfull. I am trying to put things tgth in order to have the same..I live in Athens (GREECE not US...) so it will take time. If anyone knows, the 231 transfer from a 2.5YJ converted to 23 spline will it do or 231 for 4banger YJ were weaker than those mounted on 4.0?
Take care&enjoy your rig
Prekman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #105
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Prekman, the 231 from a 4 cylinder will work just fine behind the 318/360. That is what I am still running. You are correct, all it requires is the input gear to be replaced with the correct one for the AX-15, as the 4 banger only came with the AX-5.
Good luck with your parts gathering and your future swap. You will not regret it

Tags
5.2 , 5.2l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.