V-8 Conversion process started - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V-8 Conversion process started

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #46
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Mike....

I havent gotten over the hurdle for the slave cylinder as of yet. If I wasnt so cheap I would just get a later YJ clutch setup and just call it a day, but I think I will go to a local hose supply house and see if they can let me go from my flared metal tube to the pin retained plastic tube. If all else fails I can go with a compression fitting from tube to tube until I can afford to go with new clutch stuff.
you may have answered this already but, you mean the new bell housing from the dakota is an external slave? if that's the case will my external slave/fork/t.o. bearing work in there? correct me if i'm wrong. i am close to pulling both motors and want to make as few trips as possible to the salvage yard, it's a bit of a trek, so if i need the dakota setup from the yard i can get it on the first trip.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #47
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the Dakota bellhousing is the external slave cylinder and should work with your 94 setup you already have. I am actually in the search for a setup like the one in your Jeep right now because the old master cylinder for the internal slave cylinders does not provide enough fluid to completely disengage the clutch. The pedal is all the way to the floor before I can get it to start releasing. I believe that there isnt any air left in the system, but you never know.
I used a new throwout bearing I had purchased for my 94 YJ when I did an auto to manual swap, but never changed, and it fits in my bellhousing just fine.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #48
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome thanks again for the info!
i am trying my hardest to get the entire interior/engine wiring harness' out of the 93 zj without cutting anything. i am checking up on your progress as an overall cool down before i get out a wet saw and cut the whole damn jeep in half.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 06-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #49
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I pretty much have everything together and settled except the wiring and a few vacuum hoses to run. I havent gotten the clutch thing straight yet, I will probably end up having to buy a new master cylinder and going from there.

The front driveline barely clears the bellhousing at full flex, Guess I could have mounted the engine up a little higher but its all good. I am planning on doing a SOA lift eventually anyway which will take care of that little oversight.

I built my exhaust yesterday, used the majority of the stock 4 banger stuff with only a few modifications to bends and a hole being cut for the other bank.

I will add some more pics tomorrow after I get back from work.
Hope to have it at least running tomorrow but time will tell.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
Unread 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #50
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Big update for today,

Got it running. Finished about 90% of the wiring today and decided to see if it was going to work. As soon as the fuel rails got rid of the air in them it fired right up and purred like a kitten. Basically all that is left to wire is the fan relays, the fan, the tach and then mount the PCM wherever its going to go.

After all that is settled I will draw a roadmap of the wiring for future troubleshooting and for some of you guys on here thinking about this swap yourself.
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #51
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sweet!...I look foward to that, thanks
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #52
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i am so eager to get my 4.0 out of b/n my frame rails and start test fitting the 5.2. i am stalled because my engine removal tool, otherwise known as a backhoe, is currently in need of steering work. next week is the e.t.a of it's return to service so i'm sure i'll start having more questions as soon as i get both motors pulled. awesome job getting it to fire right up first try! i hope i have the same luck. throwing around the idea of putting the abs from the xj into my wrangler. pros? cons? or are you like me a complete laymen to abs?

Unread 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #53
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ABS is a whole other can of worms. To install it you are going to need to get at least the axle shafts from the donor rig and the sensors/backing plates and probably the steering knuckles from the front axles. The ABS axles have tone rings on them so that the computer knows how many wheels are spinning and how many arent and speed differences between them etc. You will also need all of the brake lines because all 4 wheels get their own brake line, vs a single for the rear in your YJ. You will also need to get the motor/pump from the donor rig along with the controller (Believe they are a seperate module) and any wiring associated with it.
Is it worth it to me? Not on a YJ. But its your rig, if you wanna go for it, enjoy that little project lol!
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #54
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just wana V8 in my rig, lets see that right up, unless you wanna come down here and help me out...I got beer
Unread 06-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #55
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Still trying to get the bugs worked out of it still guys so sorry for no updates as of yet.

It runs, decently and drives pretty well but I have a few sensor issues affecting driveability.

Stock 4 banger radiator seems to be able to handle the cooling chores easily so thats a plus.
Got all the wiring together, just not wrapped, and as soon as I can find my bad sensor(s) and get it running like I know it can (and does on occasion) and get a few final things tweaked I will definately include a wiring how-to write up.

Patience...........................
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #56
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok, need pics and video when your done
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #57
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of my motor mounts pre-painting and engine reinstall. I made them out of 3/16th plate we had laying around which is more than enough (and the same thickness as the frame).

Here is the front of the passenger side motor mount: notice no extra bulk, all the strength that could be needed and it looks good too!

Here is the back side of the passenger side mount:

Here is the front of the Drivers side mount: note that it looks like the hole in the frame made my weld weaker, but I was able to weld to the inside of the hole which will give me back most of the little strength that was lost.

And the back of the drivers side mount:

Notice how the drivers side is longer than the passenger side: This is to shift the motor over in the frame about 1" to give me clearances for power steering and everything else snaking around under there.
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #58
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

After I get it running right I will get a bunch more pictures of everything all finished up and will take requests of any extra angles needed.
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #59
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Here are some pictures of my motor mounts pre-painting and engine reinstall. I made them out of 3/16th plate we had laying around which is more than enough (and the same thickness as the frame).

Here is the front of the passenger side motor mount: notice no extra bulk, all the strength that could be needed and it looks good too!

Here is the back side of the passenger side mount:

Here is the front of the Drivers side mount: note that it looks like the hole in the frame made my weld weaker, but I was able to weld to the inside of the hole which will give me back most of the little strength that was lost.

And the back of the drivers side mount:

Notice how the drivers side is longer than the passenger side: This is to shift the motor over in the frame about 1" to give me clearances for power steering and everything else snaking around under there.
Nice Welds!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #60
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitesamson View Post
Nice Welds!!!

I try

Tags
5.2 , 5.2l

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.