V-8 Conversion process started - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V-8 Conversion process started

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome man!! My block is at the machine shop getting punched out 30 over right now. Question about the trans and flywheel... maybe you mentioned already and I just overlooked it, but what did the flywheel come out of, v6 Dakota? Is there an alternative flywheel that doesn't require notching for the cps? The block I have had a cps mounted on the back of it, not mounted on the bellhousing like the ax-15 has. Where are you going to mount your cps?

Thanks for all the info so far!

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
navman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only suggestion I have is, Don't let your driveshafts dictate your motor location. Put the motor where it belongs, then worry about the shafts. By the time you get the motor in and running you may already have the sye. If not, getting your existing shafts lengthened or shortened is cheap plus your going to change the rear with the sye anyway. Why go through the hassle of trying to work with something thats going to be replaced. Rant over build on!!
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How are you going to get it smogged?
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
How are you going to get it smogged?
my guess is that he doesn't have to get it smogged. Im from wisconsin and anything older then 10 years doesnt need it. most states other then cali are like that.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
my guess is that he doesn't have to get it smogged. Im from wisconsin and anything older then 10 years doesnt need it. most states other then cali are like that.
That would rock. I reaaally want to pull the smog stuff off of all my cars. I hate how it gets in the way and decreases mileage and power.
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The CPS bolts to the back of the block (on a magnum engine) and there is just a relief in the bellhousing for it. You really cant mount it anywhere else except move it up to the harmonic balancer which is even more work. Since I have an LA block I do not have the mount bosses on my block for the sensor so I will just build a bracket that bolts on the head and places the sensor where it needs to be. Should be a pretty simple setup, just need to get my cherry picker from my old man's so I can get it off the engine stand and get it bolted together.

Another small update, picked up a distributor from a yard for $35. Snagged a fuel pump from a TJ (condition at the time unknown) that was just sitting in the back. Someone yanked the tank and seperated everything and just left it, why I dont know. I threw it up on the bench and asked him what he wanted for it, he says "for what?". CAAAACHING! Freebie. I tested it on a battery, it spins. Will do a pump test on it tomorrow at work.
Ordered a bunch of little things from NAPA and I am left with only a few small odds and ends to get together. Only major task is exhaust and o-2 sensors.

As for engine position/driveline lengths I did a little measuring. The trans/tcase combo is about half an inch longer than what is in the Jeep right now. I am perfectly happy moving the motor forward half an inch to keep my driveline length as is. That way when I do a SYE I can just order a driveline with it off the shelf. Another benefit is my trans mount will fall in the range of the slots on the belly pan so no need to modify junk there.

Items left to get/check out:
Gotta test my wiring
Need CPS and make bracket for it
Electric fan (found one in u pull it yard, just need to grab it)
Radiator (going with 4.0 for now, $120 on ebay shipped brand new)
Gotta figure out master to slave cylinder line
Exhaust

I think thats about it.
Hoping to start the swap in a few weeks!

heres my budget breakdown so far:
Engine - Already had $0
Heads/intake/engine wiring - $75
Throttle body/PCM/Bell housing/Flywheel/Clutch - $120
Trans and tcase - $225
Dist and fuel pump - $35

Puts me about $450 right now! Looking pretty darn good!
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to answer the question of where I got the flywheel from. I picked it up from a 2wd 92 Dakota with a 3.9 V-6. It has the correct Chrysler small block bolt pattern to fit the 318 and the smaller pressure plate hole pattern drilled in it to fit the smaller ax-15 clutch disc. This way I can upgrade to the 3550 easily in the future if necessary.
One thing to watch out for is if you are doing an MPI setup the V-6 flywheel has the wrong tone ring setup. I searched all over the place and could not find the tone ring seperate from the flywheel, and I am not spending $580!!!!!! on a new flywheel just to get a tone ring. I could have just gone and gotten another flywheel and have it drilled for the smaller pattern, but then I am spending $$$ that I could be putting elsewhere. I chose to heat the tone ring up, remove it from the flywheel, fill all the gaps with weld and grind smooth. I then found a picture of a correct v-8 tone ring and made myself a little chart for where the new gaps belong. There needs to be 8 single slots which correspond with each cylinder reaching TDC. I just took the ring and layed it down on a bench at work that is covered in aluminum. I took a scribe and marked the inside diameter of the ring on the table, then marked the center with an X and scribed the lines to about an inch outside of my inside diameter scribe mark. This gave me 4 positions for the slots, all that was left was 4 more that fell in the middle of those 4. I just took a square and marked off a 45 angle between each line which gave me all 8 spots. Transfered those to the filled tone ring after lining up the single slot to a position (needed to cut out 7 slots each 45 degrees from each other). I made the cuts with a metal band saw at the shop and cleaned everything up with a file. Using the photo as a template I found that 2 flywheel bolt holes are immediately in line with each other as well as 2 of the slots. Used a ruler and marked where it needed to go, removed it, warmed it up and slid it in place.

NOTE TO ANYBODY DOING A 5.9 CONVERSION with MPI:
The 5.9 is externally balanced, unlike the 3.9 and 5.2 which are both internally balanced. You HAVE to get a flywheel from a 5.9, which will save you the headache of having to mess with the tone ring, but it will require you to have the flywheel drilled to fit the pressure plate. Even if you are not using MPI, you need the 5.9 flywheel for balancing reasons.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #23
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
NOTE TO ANYBODY DOING A 5.9 CONVERSION with MPI:
The 5.9 is externally balanced, unlike the 3.9 and 5.2 which are both internally balanced. You HAVE to get a flywheel from a 5.9, which will save you the headache of having to mess with the tone ring, but it will require you to have the flywheel drilled to fit the pressure plate. Even if you are not using MPI, you need the 5.9 flywheel for balancing reasons.
Nice to know that, I'm doing the 5.9 in my rig. So there is no 5.9 flywheel that the ax-15 pressure plate will bolt to without having to re-drill it?

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The AX-15 is only a medium duty transmission so they would not have put it behind the 5.9 in any rig. In a Jeep the 5.2/5.9 with an ax-15 may live with very keen attention paid on throttle control (no gun and run for us without blowing things to bits). For your 5.9 I would just suggest getting a flywheel re-drilled. It shouldnt cost a ton (had one done for something else a while ago, was like $40 locally) and will make life a bit easier for you.
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #25
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another smaller update and a bit more progress.
Got the block honed out and mic'd, was well within stock size tolerances and my existing rings were on the very good side of within specs so I just cleaned everything up and put her back together. I picked up a CPS and a VSS from the junk yard today along with a set of exhaust manifolds. Paid a whopping $25 for everything.
A couple weeks ago I picked up an exhaust crossover pipe that runs from the manifolds to the cat, with an O2 sensor included for $9 so for like $30 I have my exhaust taken care of for now (will eventually do a high flow cat and muffler but this will get me going).
Havent had a chance to check out the wiring and computer yet as I have been busy as crap with school and work and all but the wiring is together and almost set to run. As of now I have pretty much all of the needed sensors/wiring/etc to make the EFI function properly.
Here are a few pictures to see how she is looking:

Have to bend the crossover tube to get a little better fitment but otherwise exhaust is right about where I want it to be to meet up with the existing cat and back setup.

I havent gotten the accessory brackets figured out yet but those will come easy enough.

Here you can see the wiring ran to all the sensors and proper locations, ready for testing, making things a bit shorter and wrapping.
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #26
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Big update:
Had my dad put my controller on his test mule truck, tested good!
Have a baseline knowledge of good PCM.
Will have the coil tested out during the week so I can narrow down good/bad parts before I get too deep into it.

Picked up quite a few necessary parts in the last week or so and have more coming during the week.
Engine is all but finished as far as assembly and prep work (basic engine stuff, not fuel system).
I have all the sensors/electronics necessary except 1 O2 sensor.
I have enough of an exhaust setup to modify and tweak to fit to my existing Cat and muffler (will run them until I can afford Headers and new exhaust)
Transmission and transfer case are taken care of except connecting my master cylinder to the new style slave cylinder (that is without spending $200 on a new setup if I dont have to)

Wiring has been pared down, now I just need to clean it up, make all the connections necessary and get it tested on the test mule rig. I will double check constant and switched power connections on the test rig before I disconnect everything. I have a fuel pump (out of MPI setup so will be capable of the pressures needed) I will set in a gas can with a couple gallons of fuel. My intake came with the connector for the fuel rail so I will plumb a single line to the fuel rail on the truck so my system will be completely independent expect for needing to power the trucks starter externally. I will then connect all my wiring to the test mules sensors/injectors/etc so that I am starting with all known goods except wiring. When/If it runs I will swap over a few easy to change sensors just to make sure I have good stuff to work with. After I have a known good harness I will snag a connector like the one in my heep and make my harness so when the swap time comes its just a pull and plug deal.

Expect wiring diagrams/writeups in the next couple of weeks!
Unread 05-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heres how she sits in my garage right now. Chrysler Hemi Red!

Unread 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #28
clush
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Keep up the good work.
clush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #29
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Preliminary testing of the wiring connected to the PCM indicate that everything is functioning as it should. Powering the constant and switched power wires and grounding all the proper connections gave me proper MIL, Fuel pump relay and Auto shut down relay signals (all grounds). I couldnt go any further as I was simply wrapping the harness and trying to clean up loose wires on the bench in the shop. Everything so far indicates a go with the wiring and hopefully I can get her in and going with minimal fuss.
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #30
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tomorrow............

It all begins! I sold my transmission out of the Jeep and have to pull it tomorrow. The deposit the buyer left gives me enough to get the final parts needed to make the swap happen. I am pulling everything tomorrow and picking up the rest of the parts from the junkyard. I will hopefully have everything prepped by next weekend so I can drop the motor in and wire it up. During the week I will fit the radiator to the grill (which will be off) and fitting the Taurus fan to it. I will also get the wiring from the Jeep connected to the MPI wiring from the donor rig. Then it should be just a matter of setting the motor in place, building mounts, permanently mounting the motor and making brackets for the power steering pump and alternator.

WISH ME LUCK BOYS AND GIRLS!!!
I havent gotten a chance to do any more wiring testing so look for that information after next weekend if its all a go!

Tags
5.2 , 5.2l

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.