V-8 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > V-8 conversion

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 03-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
tdemmie

V-8 conversion

Who knows of a good conversion kit for putting a chevy 350 into my 87 YJ. Would greatly appreciate a response.

tdemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
V8wrangler_idaho

I could make you a killer set of motor mounts for a good price. They would need to be welded to the frame. But as far as recomending a kit. I would need more info. Are you planning an axle swap or tranny and t case swap? what are you thinking about doing. If you want to stay with the stock tranny and axles. you can get a kit to mount the 350 to the stock tranny. Up grade the t case to a bronco dana 20 Twin stick t case. Its one of the shortest combos you can go with. give you good drive line angles too. There are so many option of things your can do depending on what your planning on doing. doing an axle swap opens up lots of difffrent tranny and t case options. if you stay with the stock axles you dont have as many options for tranny and t case. so give us more info on what your wanting to do.

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
ellerber

Look in www.4wd.com They have a sling arm motor mount that I am using. I like it a lot. It was easy as hell to put in. The hard part was cutting off the old motor mounts. Good luck!
Transfercase: NP 241
Tires: 33X12.5 Baja Widetrack MTRs
Lift: 3inch Rough Country
Body Lift: 2 inch
300HP
ellerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 09:54 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8wrangler_idaho
you can get a kit to mount the 350 to the stock tranny.
Not unless it's already got an automatic. if not it would either have the Ax-5 if it was a 4 cyl or the peugot being an 87, and as far as i know there's no adaptor to mate either of those to a 350.

another thing is whether or not he's got the Np207. the 231 would be fine to keep but the 207 is iffy.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood

Last edited by sentinal02; 03-01-2004 at 10:00 PM..
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
tdemmie

V-8 conversion

I have made a few modifications. The wrangler is an 87, however, I swapped the Peugot with an AX-15 out of a 97 TJ, along with an NP-231 from the same vehicle. I have an antifreeze leak in the seam of my engine block so I wanted to explore my options for a performance swap. So I guess I need to find out whether or not I can use that drivetrain with the motor I want. There has got to be an easy conversion kit out there! Let me know if anyone has the same set up or simply knows more about the subject than I do. Thanks
tdemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
V8wrangler_idaho

advanced adapters along with novak adapters makes a kit to mate the chevy 350 to the stock ax-15 tranny. both novak and advanced adapters also have the convertion radiators that you would need. Both novak and advaced adapters also have the convertion motor mounts. Novaks you have to cut your old ones out and weld in the new ones not sure on advanced adapters desing on that probley the same. I think novak has better prices then advanced adapters. depending on what year motor your going with wireing would be really easy.. I went with a 85 chevy 350 and bought an after market wireing harness for it to convert the older style 350 to tune port injection EFI system off a corvette. You just have to put a hot wire to it and one to the distributor and then plug the rest in. But most likly your looking at 3000 bucks to do a convertion I swapped out my drive train because it was accually cheaper to do that and go with all chevy parts. plus they are heavy duty parts compared to stock jeep. The cheapest way to go I would have to say would be. chevy 350 700r4 tranny and np231 t case. the 700r4 and np231 t case came stock in a late 80s chevy trail blazer with a 4.3 liter motor. the 4.3 and chevy 350 of 5.7 liter motor had the same bellhousing bolt pattern so its a perfect match. 700r4 tranny is a really good auto trans. has a lower first gear then most auto trans and its has overdrive. it also has a locking torque converter witch give you better gas milage and makes the tranny run cooler. But if your not into auto trans. then you can stick with the stock ax 15 np231

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8wrangler_idaho
advanced adapters along with novak adapters makes a kit to mate the chevy 350 to the stock ax-15 tranny. both novak and advanced adapters also have the convertion radiators that you would need. Both novak and advaced adapters also have the convertion motor mounts. Novaks you have to cut your old ones out and weld in the new ones not sure on advanced adapters desing on that probley the same. I think novak has better prices then advanced adapters. depending on what year motor your going with wireing would be really easy.. I went with a 85 chevy 350 and bought an after market wireing harness for it to convert the older style 350 to tune port injection EFI system off a corvette. You just have to put a hot wire to it and one to the distributor and then plug the rest in. But most likly your looking at 3000 bucks to do a convertion I swapped out my drive train because it was accually cheaper to do that and go with all chevy parts. plus they are heavy duty parts compared to stock jeep. The cheapest way to go I would have to say would be. chevy 350 700r4 tranny and np231 t case. the 700r4 and np231 t case came stock in a late 80s chevy trail blazer with a 4.3 liter motor. the 4.3 and chevy 350 of 5.7 liter motor had the same bellhousing bolt pattern so its a perfect match. 700r4 tranny is a really good auto trans. has a lower first gear then most auto trans and its has overdrive. it also has a locking torque converter witch give you better gas milage and makes the tranny run cooler. But if your not into auto trans. then you can stick with the stock ax 15 np231

yeah, what V8 said. lol. If you're looking for a kit with everything you could possibly need all in one package, i don't think you're gonna find it. there's just too many ways to go about doing this kind of swap. I can name almost a dozen different trannys off the top of my head that are excellent candidates for V8 power along with another 5 or 6 t-cases. what are you looking to do with the jeep? if you're crawling a granny low range tranny would be a good idea. mud and sand you don't really need the low crawl ratio so maybe you would prefer a tranny with overdrive. Planning on swapping the front out anytime soon? Passenger side or driver side drop? that will tell you which t-cases to consider. or vice versa. Call up novak or advance and talk to them once you decide what you want to do. I'm sure they can tell you what you'll need to get it done and maybe they'll give you a discount if you're buying a bunch of things together. But like V8 said, the adaptors are usually the most expensive parts you'll have to buy, so a lot of times a complete power train swap is cheaper if you can find the right donor vehicle.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.