Used Tub Need help determining where rust spots are - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Used Tub Need help determining where rust spots are

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Used Tub Need help determining where rust spots are

Hey guys. I think I found a pretty good deal on a tub.

Questions:
1. Is it a good deal? Would you buy the below tub for that price if you needed one?

2. Where are those two rust spots located? I know one looks like it is near the heat shield for the CAT and the other is in the same spot on the other side. Is this the rollbar mounting area?

Comments:
I am in desperate need of a tub. I have a welder to patch up a few places if i'm not dealing with rebuilding the entire tub. My current tub is rusted beyond repair. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN MY AREA FOR NEARLY A YEAR W/NO LUCK.

Quote:
I have been parting out my 88 Jeep Wrangler. It has a very nice tub. Very minor rust in easy to fix places. I personally dismantled this tub off of the frame. Only 1 bolt did not come out on its own so no bolt holes are stripped out. Don't let this one get away. Please call or text to 4o7 8o8 7o26. Thank you.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/4138940462.html

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry the pictures are so large. I tried re-sizing via photobuckett but it didn't seem to change what it looks like on the forum....
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
napaguy

That looks like a decent deal to me..I know here on the west coast that's a little more than they sell for but not out of line. If there isn't a ton of hidden damage or other rust I would say go for it. Sometimes you have to pay a little more when you find something you really need.

The two areas shown look to be too far inward to be the roll bar mounting area but I may be wrong. Can he/she send you a picture of the floor from the other side?
napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by napaguy View Post
That looks like a decent deal to me..I know here on the west coast that's a little more than they sell for but not out of line. If there isn't a ton of hidden damage or other rust I would say go for it. Sometimes you have to pay a little more when you find something you really need.

The two areas shown look to be too far inward to be the roll bar mounting area but I may be wrong. Can he/she send you a picture of the floor from the other side?
Can't get any other pictures at the moment. I'm driving about 80 miles tomorrow to look at it, towing a big trailer so hopefully it wont be a waste of gas!! Ugh.......
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The cruddy paint/liner on the inside is gonna make it hard to really see the extent of the rust without a screwdriver or at least looking in person. Also I'd check behind the flares and the driver floorboard. Then you're gonna have to try to get the last body bolt out that he broke off, drill the bolt out or cut the mount out and replace/repair it. I'd look at it in person before I commit. If you're willing to drive for it then your tub options will open up a bit, you can haul one in the bed of a pickup.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Check for rust where the windshield frame meets the body.

Behind those side mouldings and flares.

Where the seat supports mount.

Floor boards in front
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
nixer600

I live in nw Florida that's a 400$ tub here. I bought one for 500$ that had one rust hole the size of a dime under the roll bar floor mount. No dents.

I would look with a screw driver poke and poke and poke all over, nobody wants to spend money on JUNK.
Mid those two spots are the only bad spots and they are on the floor it could be an easy fix.

Look under the flares and look inside behind the jeep logo and look under and around the roll cage floor mount area.

Id give him 400 for it, but like someone said sometimes you have to pay more for something you need.

Maybe give him 500$ but make him throw something else in? Leaf springs? Body mounts? I need passenger seat mounts LOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys for the input. Much appreciated. I'm driving down there tomorrow. Been searching for over a year and this is the most promising I've seen yet.
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are asking the wrong people. Get in touch with Max. He is in Stuart and he will definitely be able to point you to a deal.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You are asking the wrong people. Get in touch with Max. He is in Stuart and he will definitely be able to point you to a deal.
Or buy this one out from under you.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Talk to max. Buy the tub from cl if you can get in touch. That is a good deal
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the input Que. I went and had a look at the tub today. The required welding is so minor I just couldn't pass up on it. He threw in a hood for free with the asking price. I taco'd my hood on my windshield a few months back like a complete idiot.

Anyways. She is sitting in my garage now. I'm one happy man for it. He has the frame with zero rust holes what so ever for $300... I might head back up for it if I gather the funds.

I'll post some more pics of the new tub for fun when I get the time. Thanks again for all input fellas.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.