Used 88 need 4wd help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Used 88 need 4wd help

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-03-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
Resqfiremedic
2000 YJ Wrangler 

Used 88 need 4wd help

I am new to jeeps and just bought a used 4wd and nooooo i didnt check the 4wd to be sure it was operating. I KNOW! No 4WD light lites up nor 4WD. A new weber carb was installed and vacuum lines missing. I have a blue one broken on harness and have NO IDEA where it went. I also noticed with boot off shifters two lines coming out of trans. One has metal line leading to engine, the other is just a fitting with no line?? Can anyone get me on the right track???

Unread 02-03-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
SFM1AE2

search some of the previous posts. Someone posted a link to a vacum diagram that was was good. Try: http://matt88yj.tripod.ca/4x4_vacuum_diagram
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #3
Resqfiremedic
2000 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, i think i got the vacuum lines diagram. THanks! Does anyone know anything about the two lines coming out of the transmission? One is not connected??? :confused
Unread 02-04-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
JeepTodd

There should be four lines that come out of the transmission. I found the easiest thing to do was to get a new vacumm harness from the dealer and then just plug the ends into the transmission, front alxle and one hose into the vacumm line coming from the engine. Works great now. Cost about $50.00 for the new harness. Good luck and e-mail if you need help or pictures. I just went through the same thing on my 87 YJ.
Unread 02-05-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
Resqfiremedic
2000 YJ Wrangler 

Ok i have gotten all my lines straighten ou and thanks for all the help. Guess now my actuator is bad on front axle or vacuum switch on transfer case.
Unread 02-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #6
Tailgummer

Probably the "Shift motor" on the front axle has died. Not uncommon for them to die. Easy to replace. Last time I checked they ran in the $100 range from Jeep. Usually it is the vacumn motor that goes out, but before you buy it, pull the unit off the axle and make sure the shift fork is not broken. If the shift fork is good and has free movement, then it is the vacumn motor. That is the part that your vacumn lines plug into and the part that moves the shift fork. Also on some models the switch for your 4WD light is on the same assemble. Check to make sure it is working by pushing the plunger in and out. The light will go on and off. The vacumn motor is easy to replace. Just remove the clips from the shaft which the fork is on and slide it out. Slide the new one in, replace the clips, and reinstall the whole assembly. Add som axle oil. Plug in wires and vacumn hose and it should work fine. If you replace the unit, take your old one to the dealer when you pick up the new one to make sure you get the correct unit. They had several styles and the books are not always right.
Option 2: Replace your axles with the Cherokee or WARN one piece units. Much stronger and you don't mess with the shift motor again. A little more pricey tho'
Good Luck
Chuck
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just went through this with my '92YJ. Probably is the vacumm switch motor, but DO NOT BUY ONE FROM THE DEALER!!!!. I found that 4WD Hardware had "Spicer Dana" replacements, (which is probably what was in there from factory)for about $35. The dealer wanted over $100. Just my .02

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #8
Resqfiremedic
2000 YJ Wrangler 

Where can i find this spicer dana vacuum motor from 4WD Hardware??????

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.