URGENT!! Need help w/ brake issue ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > URGENT!! Need help w/ brake issue ASAP

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

URGENT!! Need help w/ brake issue ASAP

Hey - thanks for reading, let me set the scene of what happened. I commute to and from school every weekend (about a 45 minute-1 1/2 drive depending on traffic) and I haven't had any problems at all with the jeep recently so obviously when it's least needed (finals week) something happens. It was snowing last sunday so I took it slow back to campus but once i was already on campus it felt as if I had no brakes. I pulled into a spot carefully and checked the master brake and it was really low on fluid in the bigger reservoir ( I believe that is for the front brake ) i put more brake fluid in and pumped the brakes a few times and than parked it in a more desirable spot on campus. i went out and checked on it the following day let the jeep run and pumped the brakes for a few minutes and felt around - no signs of any leaks.

so i guess my question is how/what/why did this happen and how can I fix it so I can get back home tonight?

Thank you ahead of time.

[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You have a leak somewhere. brake fluid does not evaporate. When you pumped the brakes, did the pedal come back?

When the master ran low, it's likely air was introduced into the system. The legal answer would be, it shouldn't be driven until the air is purged from the lines by bleeding. Anything else is very unsafe, and I don't think it is worth putting yourself and others at risk just to hurry home.

I would,
go to a place where a little brake fluid on the ground will not be a big deal, open the bleeder screw on the right (passenger side) and gravity bleed it for a few minutes. Then do the same to the left, all the while ensuring the master stays full of fluid.
Check to see if you got some pedal back.

I think the bleeder is 5/16's (don't hold me to that)
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post

I would,
go to a place where a little brake fluid on the ground will not be a big deal, open the bleeder screw on the right (passenger side) and gravity bleed it for a few minutes. Then do the same to the left, all the while ensuring the master stays full of fluid.
Check to see if you got some pedal back.

I think the bleeder is 5/16's (don't hold me to that)
Is there any way to gravity bleed w/o a partner or one of those solo tools that are sold?
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I just use an axe handle to hold the pedal down when I bleed. Has worked like a charm for more than 30 years. Try it
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
DCJeeps

As the front brake pads wear, the pistons in the caliper move closer to the disc, as they move, brake fluid displaces the area where they were. What I'm saying is you didn't lose any fluid, it move from the master cylinder to the calipers as the pads wore.
It's possible that air was introduced into the lines due to the low fluid level, try bleeding the brakes.
DCJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
I just use an axe handle to hold the pedal down when I bleed. Has worked like a charm for more than 30 years. Try it
That's brilliant but I don't have one with me.. Ill need to find something similar to substitute in the mean time.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane View Post
Is there any way to gravity bleed w/o a partner or one of those solo tools that are sold?
You can do it by yourself. Make sure the resevoir is full, turn the wheel for better access, crack open bleeder till fluid comes out. Watch it for a couple minutes checking periodically to make sure the master doesn't run dry.

Let gravity do the work initially. It often works in a pinch. If you get some pedal back, you should be OK to carefully take it home. Then get a bud (or your sister) to pump and hold the pedal for a more thorough bleeding.

The keep your eye on the master for a potential leak.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the prompt responses! How long should each side take roughly 30 mins? I'll need a tall dark coffee to stay warm!
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane View Post
Thank you for the prompt responses! How long should each side take roughly 30 mins? I'll need a tall dark coffee to stay warm!
Try 5 mins. You can go in the Jeep and feel the pedal in between attempts. Just DO NOT press on the pedal when the bleeder (s) are open.

Good luck. This should get you home. BE CAREFUL if they aren't perfect.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.