Urgent Fuel System/Gauge Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Urgent Fuel System/Gauge Help

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
T.O.P. Jeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Urgent Fuel System/Gauge Help

First, thank you for reading my thread.

Second: the issue.

It all started with a new smittybilt rear bumper, the need to drop the gas tank. Followed by a newly discovered broken gas bowl (I just had to look in the tank didn't I...), followed by a non working sending unit (broken by broken fuel bowl), a rusted off, barely holding tank on, skid plate, culminated by a non working gas gauge. To skip the in between....:

I replaced the Gas Tank, Sending Unit, Pump, and Skid Plate on my 91 YJ. Bought it all through MTS. (Highly recommended, and very friendly). They also put it all together and sent it as one unit, cross country, in less than 2 days with no shipping charge. If I ever meet one of the owners I'm shaking his hand.

Anyways, got it all set up, Turned the jeep over, and it starts, and runs, so everything I replaced works, if I run a straight ground to the negative terminal. (I figured the gauge issue was a ground, and not knowing if it was sending unit ground or not, I just ran a jumper cable from sending unit to negative terminal so that we knew it wasn't the issue, for the pump anyways.)

However, the initial reason for spending the $700 was to get a working gas gauge. Now, as it has always done in the past, as soon as I turn the key, it goes beyond Full on the gauge and remains there until I turn the jeep off. This, as far as I've read is the sign of a bad ground. Well, I remounted the stock ground from the fuel pump/sending unit on the parking brake assembly where it should have been mounted from the factory, and as it turns out had been removed by the PO. Bottom line _ the gauge still doesn't work.

Is there a separate ground for the gauge? Where? Where is yours grounded? How do I tell if the gauge is broke or if its a ground? Once, I have a good ground, is there anything I have to do to calibrate the gauge? Whats all this talk of 0-90 ohms Empty to Full? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I have read a lot of forums and know a lot of friends who don't have working gas gauges in their jeeps. Everyone complains about it, asks for help, gets advice, and then doesn't say what it was and what they did to fix it. I'm trying to correct that disconnect. I'm not good with wiring, but I got the basics down, so give me colors of wires, and I can make this work. All I want is that if I spent $700 to fix my fuel system and have it running up to par, then I'm bound and determined to have a working fuel gauge for the first time that I ever had the Jeep.

I'm trying to get this done over the weekend, so please, PLEASE, if you have any insight at all, post it. If you need more information from me, please let me know and I'll get it to you ASAFP. Thank you guys so much, I hope you can come through for me!

Mark

1991 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition YJ, 4.0L Inline 6, 5 speed. 31" BFG All-Terrain Tires on Stock Wheels. KC Day Lighter 155w Driving Lights, Push Bar, Speaker Bar, Centrapod Speaker Box. Banks Power Pack Exhaust, ammo box center console, hardtop and soft top.
T.O.P. Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel , gas , gauge , pump , sending unit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.