Upgrading from "Sport" Style bars to "Family" style bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading from "Sport" Style bars to "Family" style bars

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
Al-88Wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Upgrading from "Sport" Style bars to "Family" style bars

I have seen some threads on here that people were either looking upgrade their sport bars to the family style ones, or have already done it. I searched to see if I could find some answers to my questions, but I was unable to really find anything. My main questions are:
  1. Are there any major mods to upgrade, or will they just bolt right in?
  2. Will this interfere with the function of soft top, since the bars' angle has changed?
  3. Can I reuse the bars that go from the windshield frame to the main hoop?

I apologize if these questions have already been answered - if they have, please send me a link to the thread!

Thanks!
-Al

Al-88Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

YES searching would have found this info out.

You can reuse your forward bars, it will NOT interfer with any tops except a bikin top for the sport bar, and You have to widen 2 holes to get the bolts to fit well.

Other than that it bolts right in.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I am not mistaken there is also something with the rear seatbelts you have to change. Someone who has done this mod may chime in.
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1989yj
If I am not mistaken there is also something with the rear seatbelts you have to change. Someone who has done this mod may chime in.

That is only with TJ seat belts in a YJ. With this swap you can keep your stock lap belts or upgrade to the shoulder belts that would come with the bar.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rusty. I was thinking about the shoulder belts. Thanks for clearing that up.
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler
That is only with TJ seat belts in a YJ. With this swap you can keep your stock lap belts or upgrade to the shoulder belts that would come with the bar.
If you will be installing car seats then the shoulder belts are a down grade. Car seats are much easier to install with the lap belts and secure the seats even better than the lap belts because you can get the lap belt tighter.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
Al-88Wrangler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler
YES searching would have found this info out.

You can reuse your forward bars, it will NOT interfer with any tops except a bikin top for the sport bar, and You have to widen 2 holes to get the bolts to fit well.

Other than that it bolts right in.
Cool, thanks for the info. I saw in another thread somewhere where you were looking to trade your bars to do the upgrade, but I didn't see anywhere if you actually did the swap or not..

Which also leads me to ask.. anyone in the Eastern PA looking to swap their family style bars with my sport style??

Last edited by Al-88Wrangler; 11-07-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Al-88Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.