Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #31
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I am running the 95 booster and the Mercury Marquis master. Yes it is possible.
I run disk brakes front and rear.
X2.. It is definitely do-able

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #32
BLAZZIN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run the E-350 master cylinder on my 95 YJ with a J-10 Dana 44 front and a Ford 9 rear. I have no issues locking up my 36" Iroks, and my booster is from the 4 cylinder that was previously in my YJ.
BLAZZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I am running the 95 booster and the Mercury Marquis master. Yes it is possible.
I run disk brakes front and rear. Stock Waggy in front and stock YJ rotor with Chevy Motycarlo calipers in the rear. I can lock up my 36 inch Iroks no problem.
This is my write up.
http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2821&sid=998a6c8c3e2bc8966e13a a0161d1f214
I was speaking in a more bolt together sense, but either way I stand corrected.
Unread 01-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #34
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No one recomending the Vanco big brake setup? From what I read, the weak link really seems to be the front calipers/rotors. The single piston caliper seems put all the pressure right in the middle of the pad not utilizing all the rotor to pad surface area. Adding more pressure through a booster/master setup may help you stop better but it's still a band aid IMO for the real issue. The stock master has enough pressure to already flex the knuckle. I would maybe at least talk to mrblain or Van about some options. If you do go for the master option I would also look at the centric rotors and black magic pads to go with it...
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #35
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
No one recomending the Vanco big brake setup? From what I read, the weak link really seems to be the front calipers/rotors. The single piston caliper seems put all the pressure right in the middle of the pad not utilizing all the rotor to pad surface area. Adding more pressure through a booster/master setup may help you stop better but it's still a band aid IMO for the real issue. The stock master has enough pressure to already flex the knuckle. I would maybe at least talk to mrblain or Van about some options. If you do go for the master option I would also look at the centric rotors and black magic pads to go with it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI,
Kudos to you for being so responsible. Good brakes are a must and many modified Jeeps have horrible brakes. I don't care if they kill themselves but please, not other people. You know who you are.

I had the same problem and decided to go the hydroboost route. My brakes now work great with good sensitivity and stopping power. I have had zero problems in four years. I would say they are about as good as the original stock brakes, a huge improvement over where my brakes were before being modified.

Here is the site for the system I used:

http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/66.htm
Give them a call. Vanco is very easy to work with.

Sparky
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #36
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

okay im going to try and revive a dead thread here.. So i ended up buying the ebay unit and until recently it has been just sitting inside my living room. Last week i started the tear down and putting everything on. NOW here comes the point where i am completely stuck and not sure where to go from here...
The new system full with fluid, all lines connected, everything good to go, even bled the brakes multiple times.
but i have ABSOLUTELY NO PEDDLE PLAY.
the peddle all the way up moves at most 1/4" down at MOST!!
this is the first major brake job i have done and not sure what is wrong
With the lines that run through the jeep disconnected i have good peddle play just in the new vacuum booster and master. but when i connect the lines the peddle gets so stiff that it feels like the peddle would just break off before the jeep ever stopped...
WHAT is WRONG???!!
I am out of ideas
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have you adjusted the screw between the booster and MC?

Oh, and is this with the jeep running or off? The pedal will get softer as the vacuum builds up when the jeep is running

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #38
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is with the jeep running and with it off.
I adjusted the screw and it is all the way down still same problem
talked to mbm today and they said that it could possibly be the proportioning valve that is not working right
what i dont get though is that it was working before i put everything on, why would it now stop?
Going to put the stock booster back on today
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #39
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reviving an old thread here. I have been running the stock set up until now; when i finally found a decent priced 95 yj dual diaphragm booster. I am now matching that up with the M/C from the previous attempt. Here are some pics of the difference in size. Ill repost more later with details.

image-3297010410.jpg
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #40
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, it all bolted up good. Had just enough room to squeeze in the new set up with my cold air.
When I first took it out the brakes had no urgency to them at all, stopping worse than before.
So I separated the MC from the Booster and screwed out the pin inside the booster to make it about 1/4 inch longer; allowing for the pin to just rest on the inside of the MC but not engaging the plunger. (see link for a write up)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ade-yj-tj.html
Made myself a gasket for a good seal, and bolted it up and tried driving it again.
The brakes felt real good this time only there was a high pitched whistling sound coming from the connection of the booster and MC.
Discovered a "leak hole" that was purposely designed into the MC, Sealed the hole shut with some JB Weld and waited over night. (see link for write up)
http://www.bsfab.net/?p=58
Today I test drove it for a minute and am real happy with the results, the Jeep stops way better than before and I could even lock up the wheels if I needed to.
Will update if any issues arrive, aside from peeling my face away from the windshield.
In a couple weeks or so I think I am going to try the trick of removing the O-ring from the proportioning valve, opening it up for better fluid distribution (or so I am finding online)
Until then, here are some pictures (not mine) of some of the things mentioned above.
boosterpin.jpg

mcleakhole.2jpg.jpg

mcleakhole.jpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.