Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you decide to to with the 95 setup, use the link below to my swap and you will find part numbers for the booster and m/c. Both are available from your local Carquest store.

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone does locate a double diaphragm one please post up where. I just replaced my master a few months ago with a stock replacement. I am mostly stock so it does the job nicely. Now that I am starting to figure out how I wanna go with my build I definitely see upgraded brakes in my future. If I find where to get them I will post up as well. If nothing else we might help someone in the future

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can get the double diaphragm brake booster from advance auto I just found on their site. They want $125 for it and $55 for a reman master cylinder. It looks like you can only order it online though. I called them never thought to check online. But atleast now we know they can be gotten. I tried to compare it to the one it list for the 2.5 4 hanger but it doesn't give specs for the one for the 4 banger. It looks like the masters are the same but the booster is different. Does anyone know what mods it would take to replace the 4 cylinders booster with the double diaphragm booster. I would think it would bolt right in and then bam a brake pedal that's easier to push

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7YJ
If you decide to to with the 95 setup, use the link below to my swap and you will find part numbers for the booster and m/c. Both are available from your local Carquest store.
Can you copy the Link into a post? Please. I get on here from my phone and can't see signatures.

Unread 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

siva, i was actually just at advanced yesterday and looked to see if they had the 95 brake booster but from what i could tell the only double ones they had were for the tj model. Since the 95 double was not used the entire time of production and only the 2nd half of the production year most parts stores just carry the single diaphram booster to keep all the yj parts more consistent.
The only difference on the TJ model to the YJ is that i have been able to tell by looking online is that the connecting rod is shorter and the holes on the plate are different.
And thank you Karma for the compliment. I try to keep my Jeep as fun and safe as possible so the life of this dinosaur lasts longer :]
And like i said previously i would love to go with a hydroboost kit but its to expensive at this point considering there are a few other things that i would like to do to my Jeep before january is over (getting 4.56 gearing installed in both 8.8 and D30 within the next two weeks and also getting a pair of M.O.R.E boom shackles)
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmm I thought if one could get it they all could but maybe some regions can and some can't. I did look it up online which isn't always accurate usually is but not always. I will have to call the store tomorrow if I can remember and ask if they stock it or can order it. I just reread. My apologies I meant autozone not advance. I just double checked with the Android app autozone has and it showed up there under a 95 wrangler se with the 4.0 I6. In the specs it said dual diaphragm vacuum brake booster. You have to buy the master separate though you can't get them together. I will try to remember to call one tomorrow and double check or if you have a few days just order it off the website. I did that all the way through to payment info and stopped cause I don't want to bit it at the moment and in the past it stopped me before that point when I was trying to order something before that they were out of stock of.

Unread 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found mine at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ a couple of years ago.
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHeadedYJ View Post
....And thank you Karma for the compliment. I try to keep my Jeep as fun and safe as possible so the life of this dinosaur lasts longer :]
And like i said previously i would love to go with a hydroboost kit but its to expensive at this point considering there are a few other things that i would like to do to my Jeep before january is over (getting 4.56 gearing installed in both 8.8 and D30 within the next two weeks and also getting a pair of M.O.R.E boom shackles)
HI ThreeHeaded,
You are welcome and I meant it. I encourage you to further consider your priorities. So I will ask the tough question: What is more important than good brakes?

It is difficult to enjoy your new gears if you or someone else is dead because your Jeep would not stop.

Safety, it seems to me, is the most important consideration for your Jeep. Many others I'm sure are thinking: "Well, I'll get to those bad brakes as soon as I get (insert desired modification) out of the way". How long will that take before the mod list is exhausted? And the brakes were never addressed. To me, this is foolishness.

Don't you be foolish. Simply elevate the brakes to the top of your list. Then it's done and you won't have to worry about it any more. It won't cost any less later.

Just my thoughts.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh no i completely understand where you are coming from karma. good brakes are definitely an important thing to have not only on my jeep but on any vehicle on or off road.
However with that being said my brakes as of now are not horrible. I can still slow down fairly quickly in time of an emergency. they are just not as perky and quick to respond as before. I just was looking into options to bring my brakes back to where they were.
Also something that I needed to consider when looking at options is a project that i could get accomplished over the weekend by myself. I usually have the wisdom and aid from my grandfather but he has fallen ill and has spent time in the hospital and now is recovering in a nursing home. So that by itself was one option that steered me away from doing any sort of hydroboost system at this time.
Another thing is that this is my only source of transportation that I have to get to school everyday of the week. I live about 40 miles away from OSU campus and am dependent on my Jeep for daily transportation. So getting the upgrade done in a matter of a weekend is a must.
Also because I am on the highway everyday getting to school I need to be able to have a vehicle that I can drive comfortably on the highway. As of right now (because of the bigger tires and added weight) I am experiencing higher RPM's at lower speeds making 5th gear on the highway almost useless. Pedal to the floor i barely climb over 70 MPH in 5th, and thats at over 3k RPM.
I would much rather bring my rpm's back down to where they used to be while running 33's and at the same time upgrade my braking back to how it was (again with 33's and without the weight of the metalcloak).
Plus i feel that having brakes that could lock up with a tap of the pedal is just something that would not benefit me right now, along with the fact that when my engine is off with hydroboost i could loose my brake pedal completely.
If this was my sunday driver or i had another vehicle to drive while i work on this one with a harder project it definitely would have made a difference in my decision making.
Thus my reasoning to go with a much simpler, yet effective upgrade to a double vacuum booster with a larger master cylinder.

And to think.. these reasons are not really concerned mainly on price and what i would LIKE to buy instead of saftey
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #25
5.7YJ

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Can you copy the Link into a post? Please. I get on here from my phone and can't see signatures.
Here you go: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/

My brake boster/master cylinder upgrade: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...grade-1287758/
5.7YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question??/

I have read this whole thread and also the other one posted. I still do not understand how the booster stops you better? If I understand correctly the booster makes your brakes easier to apply. But, how does it stop you faster?
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I have a question??/

I have read this whole thread and also the other one posted. I still do not understand how the booster stops you better? If I understand correctly the booster makes your brakes easier to apply. But, how does it stop you faster?
It increases the output pressure with the same input pressure. I can't remember the exact numbers, but the single diaphragm was something like 1000 lbs of force, but the dual put out 1500. Something along those lines..

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been doing alot of research on this as I work on getting my build together.

From my understanding as long as your keeping with fairly small axles, aka not 3/4-1 ton axles, upgrading to a larger master cylinder will be counter productive. IIRC the larger master cylinder will push more fluid, but generate less pressure- meaning you have to push harder for it to work as well as stock. I also looked into using either the 79 Grand Marquis 7.9L Disc or E350 master with the 95 dual diaphragm booster (to counteract the increased effort) and I was unable to find anyone to pull it off. Another thing to consider is if you plan on going to disk/disk in the future or keeping it disk/drum. Disks require more fluid to operate (hence the larger reservoir in the MC) and should also be metered by a very small amount of time to allow the drum to catch up. This is accomplished in the jeeps stock distribution block, or the little thing under the master cylinder. If you plan on going disk/disk its a good idea to swap this to a unit from another disk/disk vehicle - ie. a ZJ.

Here's some required reading -
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/

My current plan is as follows-
-95 DD Booster / MC from Napa - made by either Bendix or ATE, both reputable. I have heard many bad things of the A1 Cardone units for sale at most places.
-Stainless Steel Brake Company distribution block / adjustable proportioning valve. This allows me to tune the amount of fluid going to the rear end, keep it down a bit while the D35 is still back there and crank it up when the 8.8 finds its home.
-I just bent and flared all new brake lines replacing everything with copper nickle. I decided not to chance it after I lost all brakes on the highway . This stuff is used on salt trucks for its resistance to rust and is easier to bend so I tried it.
-Replace all hardware. Calipers and Rotors will be centric, pads will be black magic.

I think she'll stop.
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got mine from Ebay, if you also get the prop valve your YJ hard lines hook right up to the prop valve with no adapting.
I did have to lengthen the actuator rod some but not a big deal if you have access to a welder.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am running the 95 booster and the Mercury Marquis master. Yes it is possible.
I run disk brakes front and rear. Stock Waggy in front and stock YJ rotor with Chevy Motycarlo calipers in the rear. I can lock up my 36 inch Iroks no problem.
This is my write up.
http://www.mijc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2821&sid=998a6c8c3e2bc8966e13a a0161d1f214

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.