Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Upgrading Jeep YJ Brakes

Just recently slapped on 35" MTZ's on my 93 Jeep YJ along with the extra weight of my full metalcloak armor. Now my stopping power has gone down tremendously!
Been researching on brake upgrades for my rig and found a few things and wanted opinions...
Putting in a 95 double diaphram vacuum booster, along with the corresponding 95 master cylinder.
This seems to be the peoples choice in a "simple" and relatively easy brake upgrade.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/index.php?topic=9425.0
While looking for other options i ran across some thread where this guy uses a ford E-350 master cylinder as his upgrade because it has a larger fluid reservoir. and it seems relatively simple to install as well.
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/Topic657042.aspx
My question is should i just go with the 95 v/b and m/c
OR should i try to do a combo of the two with the 95 v/b and ford e-350 m/c?????
seems to me if the ford m/c is bigger than what the 95 has, and the v/b on the 95 is better than my stock 93. WHY couldnt i just combine the two for a mutant Frankenstein like setup that would work best?
just a thought
btw already have rear disc conversion as that was a nice little feature with the 8.8 install i did a few years back

Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you are going to stick with the D30 here is an additional option to consider as well. From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down View Post
You are going to be running larger tires and if you can tackle an SOA you could probably handle swapping out your D30 knuckles and upgrade your brakes while you're at it and obtain a cross over steering knuckle by doing the WJ knuckle swap with junkyard parts.
Just something to consider while putting your parts list together.

http://www.evilmonkeymedia.com/dl/wjsteering.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...-steer-373709/

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489905

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what I did...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/0...my-yj-1177891/

Worked great for me and was cheap!
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn-91YJ View Post
Here's what I did...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/0...my-yj-1177891/

Worked great for me and was cheap!
I'll be doing the same hopefully before spring, got the entire set up for $35.

OP, there's varied opinion on the larger reservoir idea from the E350 some say it's great, others say that due to the larger reservoir there's less pressure leading to more foot force at the pedal.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you bone for those links. I have considered the wj knuckle swap but i think i am going to save that for when i upgrade my dana 30 all at once.
I also have looked into the tj swap but i would like this to be as easy for me as possible so i can bare the cold and go out and change it soon since it is snowing outside and my jeep is my DD.
dont really wanna slide all over the place this winter with sh*tty brakes haha
And i am going to read more about the E350 swap and figure out if i should attempt it
In the meantime i discovered this on ebay and was wondering what you guys think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1995-Je...item336e436cd0
its a little pricy but it seems to be nearly identical to the 95 swap and its all shiny and new and what not...
plus its the cheapest direct bolt on upgrade i have seen online
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

$30 for shipping seems a bit high, but otherwise that looks like a pretty decent deal.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

check out a 'hydrobooster' uses power steering fluid instead of brake fluid. here is a link to where someone installed it on their Jeep. A company makes a kit specifically for Jeeps and is said to improve braking for larger tires.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...droboost-1.htm
Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHeadedYJ View Post
Thank you bone for those links. I have considered the wj knuckle swap but i think i am going to save that for when i upgrade my dana 30 all at once.
No worries, it is like a multi upgrade in one shot, on the braking side you get larger twin piston WJ Calipers built for the heavier WJ's

Unread 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse
check out a 'hydrobooster' uses power steering fluid instead of brake fluid. here is a link to where someone installed it on their Jeep. A company makes a kit specifically for Jeeps and is said to improve braking for larger tires.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...droboost-1.htm
No...

It uses powersteering fluid pressure instead of vaccum pressure. I personally have experiance with hydroboost breaks outside of my of my jeep and they are fantastic!
91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As for the double diaprham brake booster. I have been looking into that and it seems that only the 95 4.0 I6 has the double diaphram one. The 95 2.5 I4 doesnt have the double diaphram. If I am wrong I hope someone corrects me but through my searches so far thats what has turned up.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BoD View Post
No...

It uses powersteering fluid pressure instead of vaccum pressure. I personally have experiance with hydroboost breaks outside of my of my jeep and they are fantastic!
Power steering fluid and brake fluid are basically the same thing. They are both hydraulic fluid. The hydrboost replaces the vacuum booster not the brake fluid.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah siva i agree with your findings. through everything that i have been reading i think the double diaphram booster only comes on the I6 in 1995.
I would LOVE to do a hydroboost kit but that is way to much money for me, i have tons of other things i could do to my Jeep with that money. But its definitely a possibility for the future.
Today i am going to try and call some local junk yards and parts stores and possibly even stop at a dealership to see if i can locate a 95 double diaphram booster.
If i am completely unsuccessful in finding one i might just stick with the one i found on ebay
It may be a little more expensive than getting a used one, but it has a warranty, and deff cheaper than a hydroboost
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHeadedYJ View Post
yeah siva i agree with your findings. through everything that i have been reading i think the double diaphram booster only comes on the I6 in 1995.
I would LOVE to do a hydroboost kit but that is way to much money for me, i have tons of other things i could do to my Jeep with that money. But its definitely a possibility for the future.
Today i am going to try and call some local junk yards and parts stores and possibly even stop at a dealership to see if i can locate a 95 double diaphram booster.
If i am completely unsuccessful in finding one i might just stick with the one i found on ebay
It may be a little more expensive than getting a used one, but it has a warranty, and deff cheaper than a hydroboost
I had no luck locating a used 95 setup at the local yards. None of the parts stores had any replacements either. That's why I ended up getting a TJ booster. The eBay unit looks nice but almost 3x what the TJ setup cost.
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong on this but I think the Hydroboost setups out of the Safari Vans is easily adapted into a YJ and the majority of the parts can be sourced at a you pull it junk yard.

Here is a link to some additional information, it appears this guy might be selling adapter kits as well.

Here is a good thread that I followed and bookmarked about better stopping power as well, might be a good read as well.

Last edited by BackRoadJPin; 01-06-2012 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: added links
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
Kudos to you for being so responsible. Good brakes are a must and many modified Jeeps have horrible brakes. I don't care if they kill themselves but please, not other people. You know who you are.

I had the same problem and decided to go the hydroboost route. My brakes now work great with good sensitivity and stopping power. I have had zero problems in four years. I would say they are about as good as the original stock brakes, a huge improvement over where my brakes were before being modified.

Here is the site for the system I used:

http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/66.htm

Give them a call. Vanco is very easy to work with.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.