Upgrading to 33"s Questions! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Upgrading to 33"s Questions!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Razorback23
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Oh. I see.

Perhaps you would like to try the body lift.
And I don't take my jeep off road that often. Maybe a couple times a month. Mostly just trail riding.

Razorback23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Sasquatch4x4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 4" lift and I bend fenders, also be mindful of rear d35 axle. I have 33" toyo mts, they're fairly heavy and I just broke the spider gears in the diff, I did wheel it hard for about a year before that happened but I wouldn't go any bigger than 33s with the Dana 35 rear axle
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 4" rc springs. Track bars and sway bars removed. I could flex my 33's into my front fenders.

I would not suggest buying them but you have em already. will help the ride quality a lot by torquing the bolts at the shackles and perches to about 35 ft lbs. Use locking threaded nuts.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback23 View Post
Well I'm only 16 and have no money. The RC lift was a birthday gift from my parents so I can't complain. And there's a local guy wanting to trade my 31s for 33s.
When I was 16 I had money...it's called a job. You need money to feed your habits and working is the best way to get that. You have it made...you don't have a house payment, utilities, grocery bills, etc.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
2 1/2 lift is not enough for 33s, if you plan on flexing it at all.

33s, 2 1/2 lift, 1" body lift, 5/8 shackles and TJ flares.

Same set up, stuffing the tires and bending the front fenders.
Not 100% true. I'm on 3" of lift and 35s....
2.5" is not enough by itself. Some liberal trimming and fenders will get ya there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
When I was 16 I had money...it's called a job. You need money to feed your habits and working is the best way to get that. You have it made...you don't have a house payment, utilities, grocery bills, etc.
Also this^^^
Get a job, work as many hours as you can, and go apechit with it! Sooner than you realize you'll have a mortgage, kids, lights to keep on, insurances for everything you ever touch/own, yada yada yada...

cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #21
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST

LOLLERSKATES. My buddy runs a rough country lift with a body lift and 33's. He doesn't rub but the ride will knock fillings out and I can't really comment on flex. I cannot recommend you buy the RC 2.5" lift based on his jeep, even if you we're going to add a BL. It would still ride like a washing machine on spin cycle with a bowling ball in it.

I've heard nothing but good things about OME components but they tend to be more expensive than RC.
"You get what you pay for."
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U

Be easy on the kid; 16 is a great age. Razorback, enjoy where you are at right now. Don't listen to these guys. Yes, get a job (if you don't have one) because owning a Heep is an expensive hobby but it doesn't mean you need to feel guilty for getting a gift or feeling like you suddenly need to be 30 years old to fit in. Don't be rattled by the words of these old "geezers". They're just jealous!

All of what you are asking really depends on what you are intending on using your vehicle for: For road driving, I think you could get away with 2.5 lift with lager flares; for trail riding you"ll need at least 4".

I had 33" tires with 3.07 gears and it was the worst. I lost 5th gear and it basically limited a lot of what could do. It really is a personal thing but I think if you are running larger gears (smaller numbered gears) you won't like it.

2.5" lift works best with 31" tires.
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use the lift you have and keep the 31's and you will be plenty happy. Do not get caught up in the bigger is better theory. That costs lots of money and you can wait until later in life when you can afford it. The RC lifts have their place in life. Their kits are nice and complete and when I was 16 I would have not minded the ride at all, so bolt er up and have a ball.
Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
CBinDC
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmn
Use the lift you have and keep the 31's and you will be plenty happy. Do not get caught up in the bigger is better theory. That costs lots of money and you can wait until later in life when you can afford it. The RC lifts have their place in life. Their kits are nice and complete and when I was 16 I would have not minded the ride at all, so bolt er up and have a ball.
X2 on this.
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
Rich G
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dont let the haters get you down on the lift, it might not be the best lift in the world but it will get the job done.

That being said, I dont think 2.5" is enough for 33's, I would get a 1" body lift also.

If you dont do alot of rock crawling and stuff then who cares about flex? I have 31's on a 1" body lift and I never ever rub.
Rich G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.