Up travel Down travel SOA RE 1.5 springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Up travel Down travel SOA RE 1.5 springs

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Up travel Down travel SOA RE 1.5 springs

I have the R.E. front RXJ511 front shocks, they are 19.3-32.6 and set at 26". Thats 6.7" up travel and 6.6" of down travel (Factory shock mounting tabs D30)

The rears are the R.E. RXJ507B 16.2-26.7 set at 21" , that's 4.8" up travel and
5.7 down travel . I set the rear shock tabs just below bottom of the 8.8 .

Does this seem long enough to get the full capabilities of these springs ? Do I need to move my shock tabs? Will I get more flex from other shocks?

I am not sure if they are limiting my travel . I cant get the jeep up high enough to measure full stuff or droop .

amerdt4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Post pics of where all of your shock mounts are located.

If they are close to the stock location, you'll have trouble taking advantage of the springs flex.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll have to get pics later when I get home but the rear tabs are shorter and higher than the factory location on the old d35 . But my shock now rests about midway through its travel from collapsed to fully extended . I read something about you want to be about 40/60 . Seem legit ? How much uptravel do you actually need for street highway driving? 3-4 inches ? My springs are 1.5" over factory so do I take a string from eye to eye and measure the height from center point to top of spring above the axle ? Add an inch maybe 1.5" for compensating for inverting the spring and that will determine my uptravel ?

Front - factory locations upper/lower

Rear - Factory upper/ lower .5" below axle tube on the 8.8.

How much down travel will these spring provide ? I have 5" shackles BTW
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure people are going to post that you'll need to max out droop and compression. You'll just have to get creative. I use 2x6's under the jack stands that are screwed together to get enough height. Others might have better ideas. I would just find a ramp loading dock or a big pile of earth or a big rock to get compression.
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

SOAs are a waste if the stock shock mounting is retained. If you want to cover the range of potential flex you need to build custom mounts. Do a droop test with the tires off. I use sandbags to simulate the weight of the tires.
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is all I have to work with right now ...

I pulled up till the left rear started to lose grip , took measurements ... at this point shocks are still attached
Front right @ 22" - collapsed 4" with 3" to spare
Front left @30" - extended 4" with 2" to spare
Rear right @23" - extended 2" with 3" to spare
Rear left @19.25 - collapsed 2" with 3" to spare

rear lower shock mounts

What do you guys think ? Am I ok ?

Seems I can get more from the front and alot more from the rear but it doesnt seem that the shocks are limiting me .

Would It make a huge difference if I made the eyes perpendicular (top to bottom)in the rear ?
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

some other shots ...

Yes I know , The high steer is coming ...

Unread 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
booboowv77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I did my SOA I moved the shock mounts on the axle so the mounting hole was 6 inches higher and I could still use my not so factory shocks for the time. I still want to do a drop test but have not got around to it but I have never maxed out my shocks either way. The springs seem to stop it before the shock does.
Built not Bought #759
booboowv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Probably should have measured here ...

Unread 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dont flame me for the skyjacker 5th link , I know its coming (Fratis) I checked that too and its not binding .
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

No flamin just shootin you straight. The 5th link is fine. If it were me id discconect shocks and link and put it on jackstands. id pull the tires and let it droop. I would then see if everything can connect back up. Keep in mind a dynamic test would allow it to droop a bit more. If they can then you have other things holding your droop back. Just from experience there is no way the factory mounts can accommodate the droop potential of a SOA if all other elements are working towards maximum flex. Ebrake line is a major one. Looks like you could use longer break lines as well. Lots of folks move the axle shock mount up higher in the rear. This doesn't work unless you deal with the upper mount. Both the front and rear lower mounts should be turned 90* so the bolt mounts perpendicular to the axle housing. Unless you want to do some major work the only real way to deal with the lack of space for shocks in the rear is to mount them like this /\ with a bar that goes from framerail to framerail. lots of people use the shock extenders but they just dont add enough length for SOA setups. Getting full capabilities of the springs as in maximizing flex takes quite a bit of work and hardly ever accomplished in the first take. Get under there and see what's holding things back.

You need to deal with the steering. Im not a histeer/crossover steering nazi especially with aggressively build jeeps getting lower and lower but the stock units will fail quickly if you are using your SOA. The problem arises when you go to increase the size of the draglink and tierod to match your needs and it no longer fits underneath.
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of good info Fratis, thanks. I will definitely put her up and see how things are acting . I was planning on reworkng the break lines to get more slack , almost tight but they do have some play. My next issue to address IS going to be the steering . I haven't really wheeled because I'm afraid of blowing the ball joints . EVENTUALLY I will go with bigger axles but not until everything else is done ,Er "reworked" . What do you think is the best steering upgrade(besides tossing it ) for the d30? WJ knuckles?
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Two things to what fratis mentioned... I moved my rear lower shock mounts above the bottom of the rear axle. To accommodate this I added the bar frame to frame for the upper mounts and angled my shocks inward like /\. When I did that and got the angle I needed there was some interference with the tail pipe. For now I removed the tailpipe altogether and put a turndown after the muffler but not happy with that setup. I'll have to reroute my exhaust in the near future.

Also, in the picture of your tie rod and drag link, you'll notice how close your drag link is to your spring. At full droop, or close to it you'll lose some turning radius turning the wheel to the right, I believe. My drag link would make contact with the spring in that situation. That's another reason to change your steering setup. I did eventually but it wasn't for that reason. Just keep that in mind when your twisting it up. If you do what fratis said and jack it up and remove the wheels take the steering from lock to lock and you'll see what I'm saying.
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed with above. I tilted my shocks in and moved my lower mounts out. I am still sua but my rear shocks were an issue. I built my own upper rear bar with custom mounts to still let the shocks move forward to back and side to side. I can get some pics of it for you if that would help. Like I said I am sua but my upper mount design would work for either. With the upper bar my tailpipe would not work either so I did a turn down as well. Works fine for me.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #15
amerdt4
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Steering is next . Thanks for the responses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.