Unknown spring size and Suspension ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unknown spring size and Suspension ?'s

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Unknown spring size and Suspension ?'s

About:
I bought my jeep with no information on lift that is on it. (profile is filled out to the best of my knowledge) (SBC 350 and turbo 350 trans, D35/D30, NP231, SYE)

I am wanting to get new springs. I have one on the front that looks slightly bent. I would like to replace all the way around with quality. (I see a lot of positive on here about OME and BDS)

A little more detail; My plan is to go SOA in the next couple months. Along with a 8.8 and 35's. I am wanting a good spring and overall quality suspension setup. (I understand cost, have read and read about SOA and will be doing the build myself)

Getting to numbers:
I have read stock rocker height is 18" mine is 22.5" rear 21" front. difference of R-4.5" F-3"

Stock tires 29" mine are 265/75/16 or 31.6" giving a lift height of about 1.25"

Shackles are about 3/4" lift.

Leaving me with 2.5" Rear and 1" front. Spring lift.

Questions:
Would it be safe to assume this is a 2.5" spring lift and the front is sagging due to weight or the slightly bent spring?

Which spring would be recommended for the set up I am wanting to run? I see that OME has light, medium, and heavy duty that will only lead me to more questions. Some guidance from people who have more experience with suspension setups would be greatly appreciated.

CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It is safe to assume you have a 2.5" suspension lift.

Easy answer for your OME question, buy the 36r springs. They are labeled Medium duty but they are in fact the heavy duty spring. Why? I dunno. Haha. Giggtyjeeper runs 36r on all four corners SOA so they will hold up to what you want to do. I have no comment's on BDS because I have only researched OME. If you can find any numbers on the springs you could put them in google and get a brand. My bet would be Rough Country probably.
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Springs are sagging because of the bigger motor I'd say?
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
Springs are sagging because of the bigger motor I'd say?
According to google, the 4.0 and his SBC 350 should weigh very close to each other. I first thought yeah but it could've been from a bad PO accident or something. Never know with these things.

Edit: Google is now giving me up to 600lbs so it could be the motor.
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Micheal, what if the previous motor was a 2.5?

I'd also say a good suspension lift will correct your issue.

Ome, bds, and Rubicon express are all good. Buy your springs seperate, get your ubolts, and shocks, and you'll have a high quality cheep kit.
Unread 10-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

From my understanding through decoding the vin the original motor was a 2.5l.

I am not opposed to other spring options, I am just wanting to stay away from low quality springs.
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I personally run a 3.5 black diamond lift. Its rough but I haven't got out to flex it out yet.

Anyways my Jeep sits level with a large winch and bar on the front, 32" spare and large marine battery in the back.
Unread 10-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter
Micheal, what if the previous motor was a 2.5?

I'd also say a good suspension lift will correct your issue.

Ome, bds, and Rubicon express are all good. Buy your springs seperate, get your ubolts, and shocks, and you'll have a high quality cheep kit.
As far as I know, after market springs don't care about motor size. At least with OME it doesn't. The light, medium, heavy descriptions I have always read talked about accessories. But I've never looked at buying other springs so I could be wrong and if I am I am sorry.

I also second any of the three brands up there. Top notch and remember you'll want 36r's if you go OME.

Tags
soa , springs , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.