Unknown bracket in engine compartment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Unknown bracket in engine compartment

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
jgebhardt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unknown bracket in engine compartment

Bought an 89 Wrangler (Base model) about six weeks ago and have been fixing numerous issues... Rebuilt transfer case, SYE, new driveshaft, new exhaust system, replacing floor pans, new soft top, new windshield, the list goes on (sound familiar?? lol). On the plus side, gave me a good reason to upgrade my welder and get that plasma cutter I've wanted

I'm beginning to go through the engine compartment now and there's a bracket on the passenger inner fender well in front of the battery. Have no idea what it was for, and haven't been able to find it online or in the parts catalog. Since I'm the type of guy who wants to know the car inside and out, this is driving me crazy! Any idea what this is?
Thanks!

jgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

that's where the factory jack was stored
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's for your jack.

Edit: Beat me to it.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What it is, is a great place for an old ammo can to store small tools and such...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind riding without a jack, or don't use the factory jack thats a great place for lockable storage
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
jgebhardt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I'm fixing so many issues because the previous owner didn't know what he was doing that I was worried it might be something important! I've had this Jeep for 5 weeks and have yet to actually drive it The PO sold it fairly cheap because it had a cracked transfer case housing, I thought that would be an easy repair - HA!! I feel like a CSI detective figuring out the history on this thing - he installed a lift kit without an SYE, driveshaft had come out and smacked around, bent the mainshaft in the transfer case. Fix one thing, leads to another... But having fun in the process!
jgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yep stock jack location but great place to store stuff
bck4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Huh. I like the ammo can idea. I still have my jack bracket and have a couple ammo cans laying around in the garage. This may be a fun little project. Thanks for the idea!!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Amazingly, mine still has the original jack, crank, and lug wrench.

bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Amazingly, mine still has the original jack, crank, and lug wrench.
I have all the original components to mine as well. They don't do much good with the lift, but I've got them. Anybody need an OEM jack setup? LOL

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.