universal Universal Joint question likely universally asked.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > universal Universal Joint question likely universally asked....

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

universal Universal Joint question likely universally asked....

I have searched this quite a bit and am getting conflicting information....

Does my 1994 Dana 35 require a u-joint that fits a 3.5 inch (Spicer 1310) yoke, or a 4 inch (Spicer 1330)???? Also, will my u-joint at the rear of the TC be the same size? To add to my confusion, which isn't difficult today, NAPA also lists a 3 7/8" joint for my '94.....

On a side note, I am planning on going with a greasable "super strength" u joint for the axle joints. Does anyone know if these are worth the extra expense? (really not THAT much more expensive....like 7 bones extra each)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I plan to buy these after work today and get them all swapped out because I am pretty sure that I still have the original joints (except for the rear shaft/axle joint which has a zerk fitting) and I am pushing/turning 35s right now.....seems like an failure waiting to happen and I'd like to be changing them in my garage rather than on a trail in the dark.......

Unread 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

35 on d30/d35 you live on the side of danger Huh? I would not worry about change u joints but changing axles would be more benefits.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1310 for the drive shafts. I would put spicers back in the axle shafts or even better upgrade to tj shafts if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
35 on d30/d35 you live on the side of danger Huh? I would not worry about change u joints but changing axles would be more benefits.
Yeah, that's how I roll.... Nevermind.....this is the PO's setup and I am slowly upgrading/swapping here and there. An 8.8 is on the radar for this summer and I will likely keep the 30, but upgrade to super 30 shafts for now. That set up with the 8.8 will be fine for Kentucky off roading. At least until I get a wild hair and head to Harlan Co.

I wanted to swap these u joints for now because they have likely been spinning in the original grease from 14 years ago since they are all sealed, with the exception of the above mentioned rear joint. Seems like a long time to me when considering grease breakdown from heat, friction, etc......
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I wanted to swap these u joints for now because they have likely been spinning in the original grease from 14 years ago since they are all sealed, with the exception of the above mentioned rear joint. Seems like a long time to me when considering grease breakdown from heat, friction, etc......
Those joints probably dont have a speck of grease left in them.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So is the common "1310" response for the drive shafts a rock solid answer for a '94? I read a couple of places that mentioned that '94s and '95s were produced with 1330s on the rear shaft at the axle..... Sometimes mentioned that it may have been done that way as the beginnings of part switch overs for the pending TJ production.......
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Brads_nky_yj

Quote:
Yeah, that's how I roll.... Nevermind.....this is the PO's setup and I am slowly upgrading/swapping here and there. An 8.8 is on the radar for this summer and I will likely keep the 30, but upgrade to super 30 shafts for now. That set up with the 8.8 will be fine for Kentucky off roading. At least until I get a wild hair and head to Harlan Co.

We'll get you to come down with us sooner or later lol
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Those joints probably dont have a speck of grease left in them.
My thoughts EXACTLY......hence (just for you Brandon ) my wanting to replace them before they DO fail.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
We'll get you to come down with us sooner or later lol
Won't take much convincing once I get the majority of the weak points taken care of.......(see profile!)
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So is the common "1310" response for the drive shafts a rock solid answer for a '94? I read a couple of places that mentioned that '94s and '95s were produced with 1330s on the rear shaft at the axle..... Sometimes mentioned that it may have been done that way as the beginnings of part switch overs for the pending TJ production.......
Best thing to do is measure the width of your existing u-joint from cap to cap, and also measure the cap diameter. Take these measurements to the parts store to make sure you get the right part.

I thought I had 1310 in the rear DS, but apparently I had something bigger, and it all looked stock.
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FYI most 94,95 4.0L yjs have a 1330 ujoint at the axle end the joint measures 3 5/8" across the caps. Ive even seen them on a couple 95 4cyls too.
ssyj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ive yet to come across one with a 1330 joint, Always wondered about the 2 part numbers.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree Sebastian, and will probably end up doing that today rather than rushing to buy and swap these....no real rush, just something I want to get done and it gives me another excuse to hang out under the Heep...

So it may be that the information I got regarding the 1330s on '94s and '95 may have been for the 4.0 only, and not my 2.5 LO......I didn't find any specification related to engine size when they said that 94s and 95s were given the 1330s in the rear at the factory. (that will result in some jokes....)
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran into this problem when I did my SYE / CV shaft and 8.8 swap. Drove to my buddy's house, and put on the SYE and Tom Wood's shaft (With 1310 u-joints). We did the SYE and shaft, and then it got late so we decided to do the 8.8 the next day. I went to connect the CV shaft to my Dana 35 so I could drive home, and it did NOT fit. The u-joints on my new drive shaft were too small for the D-35 yoke. I had to hitch a ride home and then back the next day to finish up.
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Ive yet to come across one with a 1330 joint, Always wondered about the 2 part numbers.
I filtered my NAPA search with '94 Wrangler AND 2.5 L and still got three different options for the rear DS to axle joint....a 3.5", 4.0", and even a 3 7/8".....I think I will probably save a trip or two by just measuring it myself before buying......guess my Fri. night project will have to be a Sat. morning project.......
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
I ran into this problem when I did my SYE / CV shaft and 8.8 swap. Drove to my buddy's house, and put on the SYE and Tom Wood's shaft (With 1310 u-joints). We did the SYE and shaft, and then it got late so we decided to do the 8.8 the next day. I went to connect the CV shaft to my Dana 35 so I could drive home, and it did NOT fit. The u-joints on my new drive shaft were too small for the D-35 yoke. I had to hitch a ride home and then back the next day to finish up.
Sounds like one of my typical projects.......NOTHING ever goes through without a hitch......or like we say in Kentucky, ..."a hitch in it's giddyup...."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.