Universal Joint Q's for the D30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Universal Joint Q's for the D30

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
CanukYJ

Universal Joint Q's for the D30

K guys I was sure of all my stuff before the stealer sent me awry...

I have a 'breaking' front dana30 axle ujoint on the drivers side. No biggie, pull the axle, press the joint out and in, easy stuff and all the bolts are loose from the locker install so it's all good. BUT I was calling around town and almost no one knew just what ujoint my jeep had, so I was going to the stealer to get some bushings for my door hinges (10$ each!!! argh!) anyways so I thought I'd get a nice new spicer one while there.

That's when the trouble started. The guy asked me if mine was ABS, I said NO, definitely not, I have had this conversation a millions times before and my axle is NOT an abs one and I know there were abs cross breed years. Well he tells me that's what everyone thinks and then they find out it had abs setup but never used. Now I've taken that whole axle apart and saw nothing that appeared to be an abs component (I know the computers and stuff won't be there, I mean any mounting hardware or tone rings, etc). So he continues to tell me it most likely will have it and that the ABS ujoint from spicer is TWICE THE PRICE. (rofl figures huh). So now he has me second guessing myself. I have changed out the ujoint on the passengers side (don't remember what part #) and it was NOT 65$ for parts or anything close to that, nor was it anything special, because I don't even remember having this ABS nonABS arguement when I did the last one so I would assume I just bought a nonABS joint. Any input?

While I'm at it why it is some people tell you that the hub has to be removed? I thought that was only with the NON-SEALED units, my jeep has sealed hubs so they should stay ON when changing a ujoint, bad info sometimes gets handed around or maybe I'm the one with the mis-info, anyone who can confirm with me is appreciated, thanks in advance.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

It should just be the standard 260x u-joint.
Unread 06-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
CanukYJ

Yea thatís what I figured, damned dealer making me 2nd guess myself, anyone else got any good info to throw in just to be sure?

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
mrclean

U-joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Yea thatís what I figured, damned dealer making me 2nd guess myself, anyone else got any good info to throw in just to be sure?
Yes, '92 should take a standard 260, unless a previous owner swapped in '95 shafts(not likely since you already changed the other side). And no, you don't have to press the shaft out of the hub/bearing assembly. You can, if you wish, but it's not necessary to change a u-joint. Also, if you 'wheel your Jeep, pick up another set of axle shafts with hubs for trail spares, makes for much faster repairs if you break a joint.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
CanukYJ

Hehe yeah I hear ya on the spares I actually have someone who will be giving me some since he is junking his d30, glad to hear I wasn't crazy for not pulling the hub off the shaft.

Unread 06-11-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
pigpen95

I have a 95 Wrangler without abs and my u joint is a 260x. I CANNOT remove my axle without removing the hubs, the joints will not fit through.
pigpen95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
CanukYJ

Sorry guys, I may have worded this funny. What I was asking (I checked behind my wheel and I know I can do this now, tnx anyways) was not if I should remove the HUB from the AXLE HOUSING but rather if I had to remove the HUB from the INNER AXLE SHAFT once REMOVED from the housing, know what I mean? Tnx for the replies, I have enough room to not have to pull the hub from the inner when it's removed, I have heard rumors of people who could not press the joints out because the hub covered part of the joint and prevented getting a vice on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.