Universal Joint ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Universal Joint ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
ShadowWolf
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Universal Joint ?

I need to change my Rear Universal Joint. I am currently without a bench Vise. I see a couple for sale on CL , but they are only 4.5'' seems kind of small to me, so the question is , would that be a big enough vise to fit the DS in with a couple of sockets ?

Unread 12-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Ferenckzy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need a vice to change a U-Joint. Just rent the press kit from Advance Auto or Autozone. Or buy the one at Harbor Freight.

'94 WhyJ, Tall, Locked, RCV'd
Ferenckzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you considered a ujoint tool?

Something like this: 3-in-1 Ball Joint/U-Joint/C-Frame Press Service Kit

I carry one in my trail box & it has come in handy many times.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

You can do it with a ball peen hammer and a socket that fits inside the drive shaft's yoke. A 4.5" vice is big enough if you set the bearing caps in the jaws and whack the yoke, instead of trying to use the jaws to compress the caps in and out.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
dagoober
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you dont even need a vice or a press. i have had to change out 3 of them in a week once and all were either on the trail or the road. its really easy and only takes about 10 minutes. all you need is a hammer (i used a crescent wrench as a substitute since i dident have a hammer with me), a socket, and pliers. to remove the driveshaft you unbolt the straps holding it to the rear axle and then just pull the driveshaft out from the transfer case. you then need to take the c-clips out then you place the socket over the end of the u-joint and pound the cap out the other side. once you can get your pliers around the cap of the u-joint that is exposed just pull it out with the pliers. do the same for the one on the other side.
putting the new one in is pretty much just doing the opposite of taking it out. just remember to put some grease in the caps before you put it all back together.

don't bother spending money on a press or renting any tools if you don't need to. all you need is a hammer, a socket, and pliers.
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
dagoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
ShadowWolf
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try with the hammer first, And will also look into that tool if the hammer does not get it done. The vise on CL is only $20 might buy it anyway if it looks good, thanks guys.
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
ShadowWolf
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I got under the jeep this morning to do the U-Joint, and noticed that the Yoke is pretty beat up , it looks like the PO drilled out one of the holes where the straps mount and just put a nut and bolt there the remaining strap bolts look a mess also. I ordered a Ubolt Yoke conversion kit from Quadratek when it comes in I will do the Universal joint and the yoke kit together probably this coming week end.
Unread 12-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you dont even need a vice or a press. i have had to change out 3 of them in a week once and all were either on the trail or the road. its really easy and only takes about 10 minutes
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have changed U-joints in a truck stop parking lot (not a Jeep) but there have been times I needed to get them pressed out. No way to tell ahead of time.

I did buy the Harbor Freight unit, and it did the job for me.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ive completely worn out one of the harbour freight presses. Its crazy not to have one really if you jeep much. Ive replaced dozens of ujoints on the trail with it, a couple ball joints too and it made the job simple clean and quick. Well worth what little the HF press costs. Combined with a battery powered impact, on the trail its almost cheating its so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
newyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used a hammer and socket to do mine three days ago no sweat

[url]http://www.cityprofile.com[/url]

[url]http://www.pgh-offroad.com[/url]
newyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.