Under Steer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Under Steer

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Under Steer

The set up is this.

2.5"suspension lift.
1" body lift
1"lift shackles

31*10.50 tires.

The jeep has a good bit of under steer now. I will give the wheel a good 4-6" of turn before I get much response. When driving at speeds over 45mph this can make things a little tricky. I really want to get this sorted out before I upgrade the lift to a 4" lift and go to 33 or 35s..

Im getting no feed back from the power steering pump, no leaks etc.

Any suggestions?

Unread 06-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a recent occurrence? Did it start happening after the lift? A few more details please.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You changed the steering geometry. Use a drop pitman arm.

And that's not understeer, that's less than responsive steering. Understeer happens in a corner when the wheels are turned (not just steering wheel) and the vehicle sort of pushes through going straight. Install a spool in the rear and you'll know what understeer is.
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Should he really need a drop pitman for a 2.5" lift? I'm thinking it's more of a recentering issue with the steering wheel or a loose steering shaft. I had tons of delay until I properly recentered my steering wheel, that's why I'm curious as to when this problem cropped up.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Should he really need a drop pitman for a 2.5" lift? I'm thinking it's more of a recentering issue with the steering wheel or a loose steering shaft. I had tons of delay until I properly recentered my steering wheel, that's why I'm curious as to when this problem cropped up.
I counted 3.5"
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

In all its 3.5" of lift.

The issue has been one that is worsening over time. It did not handle this way after the lift. The lift by the way was done in 05.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just to add, lift shackles are never "good" for steering. It removes the necessary positive caster for steering response. Mine are only 5/8" and I could tell the difference when I installed them. But my rod ends are shot too so my steering is crap on the highway.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I counted 3.5"
Missed the 1" shackle part of the lift. for me.

OP, if your steering has gotten worse over time, you'll want to look at all of your steering components, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, etc to make sure nothing has worn out since '05.

Unread 06-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

In my personal experience, 3/4" shackles and 2.5" OME springs and a stock PA still steers fine. My previous 1" shackles had some bump-steer, but return to center and response was still acceptable.

Like Rporject mentions, if it has been getting worse over time, and was not this bad after than lift was initially installed...I'd be looking at tie rod ends, ball joints, steering wheel shaft (joints and bearings), and look into adjusting the steering box. Probably in that order.

Bad steering angles and geometry will give you consistently poor results, not a slowly worsening situation.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If your steering looks like this:

Time to upgrade.
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Towny72
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Dang thats some slop.... Well thanks for the pointers. Saturday I going to give all the links components etc a really good looking at. Hopefully I can figure it out or at least narrow it down and report back..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.