Un biased cheap lift review comming soon from a seasoned Jeeper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Un biased cheap lift review comming soon from a seasoned Jeeper

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Un biased cheap lift review comming soon from a seasoned Jeeper

Ok guys. I figured I'll help out the f12 crew and give a unbiased review of a entry level kit. In a couple of weeks I will be ordering a 4" lift for my 89 which is currently stock. I will be choosing one of the 3 following lifts

1. Rough Country
2. Zone
3. Superlift 3.5"

The tires I will be using are the 33x10.50 BFG KM2's off my XJ since my wife does not like them on road in snow and I am replacing them with Duratracs so there is no sense in wasting a set of tires with 10k miles on them. I will also be throwing in a set of 4 banger axles with 4:10's and possibly front/rear Spartans lockers.

Keep in mind I have run very good setups on my 95 so I will be giving an honest assessment asfar as bang for the buck

On my 95 I ran a 3.5" Rustys lift which failed after a month. It was replaced with a 4.5" Re lift W/ Bilstein 5100's. I ran that for years. Then I replaced the RE springs with a set of Alcan springs so I know what I can get out of a quality lift asfar as ride and performance.

If I could afford to go Alcan again I would but being a home owner, and having 2 kids with 1/2 the income as I made a few years ago I simply can not afford that anymore. This building the smurf on a ramen noodle and steel reserve budget. Vs a Filet Mignon and Top shelf Bourbon budget

Unread 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds great! I have heard really good things about Zone Offroad. From what I hear, they are a sister company to BDS. I personally would gravitate in that direction due to how many positive reviews I have read about their kits but looking forward to seeing your decision.

Obviously we have probably all heard things about rough county, but I have not heard much about the superlift yj lift kits.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Un biased cheap lift review comming soon from a seasoned Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsipe007 View Post
Sounds great! I have heard really good things about Zone Offroad. From what I hear, they are a sister company to BDS. I personally would gravitate in that direction due to how many positive reviews I have read about their kits but looking forward to seeing your decision.

Obviously we have probably all heard things about rough county, but I have not heard much about the superlift yj lift kits.

You are correct Zone is indeed a sister company to BDS (both are owned by sport truck USA) however each company is run independently and has their own R&D department.

RC has said to have improved over the last few years and have a great warranty. And the most economical of the 3 I am really leaning towards the RC cause I can get it to my door for $400 vs 600 for zone and Superlift is about $ 620 with decent shocks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you clarified the Zone/BDS thing. I just read it in another thread this morning. It bugs me when people always say that they are "sister companies" so you are getting the same spring for less. That is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genome73 View Post
I received this (in part) from Steve at Sport Truck USA when I inquired about Zone and BDS:

Zone and BDS are considered sister suspension companies being we’re both owned by the same parent company, Sport Truck USA, however, we do operate as separate divisions in different markets. BDS does not make our parts as we have our own engineering team and design philosophy to achieve such aggressively priced, quality products, but we do share a similar mindset to BDS when it comes to engineering and designing a quality kit that performs well while utilizing as many American made components in all our products as possible. BDS offers their lifetime no fine print warranty whereas we offer a more industry standard limited lifetime warranty, though we do have an extremely low warranty claim rate on all our products so kit/part issues and failures are certainly not a common topic for us. Our limited lifetime warranty essentially covers manufacturer defects while we do look at each issue on a case by case basis. We started up Zone about 8 years ago to compete with the other brands offering a similar price point while our goal has always been to offer better quality and performing, as American made as possible, parts while keeping our price similar to the other affordable brands out there. BDS typically competes with the more premium product brands and are typically known for their lifetime no fine print warranty and including more “bells and whistles” in their kits. We typically compete with the other affordable brands while avoiding including “bells and whistle” type components that most customers don’t need and don’t want to be forced to pay for.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
You are correct Zone is indeed a sister company to BDS (both are owned by sport truck USA) however each company is run independently and has their own R&D department.

RC has said to have improved over the last few years and have a great warranty. And the most economical of the 3 I am really leaning towards the RC cause I can get it to my door for $400 vs 600 for zone and Superlift is about $ 620 with decent shocks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Having had one of the RC "improved" kits, don't waste your $$$. It was super stiff and then sagged with in 9 months... Just saying.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree.. rough country leaf springs are not what you want. I cant say anything about coils because I don't run them. Their leaf springs sag quickly. Yes they have a warranty but how many times do you want to mess around changing springs before you just say effit and get a different brand of springs.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Having had one of the RC "improved" kits, don't waste your $$$. It was super stiff and then sagged with in 9 months... Just saying.
were you running track bars? how tight were the shackles?

that will hinder ride a lot

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had the old RC Lift and the New RC Lift and i have to say that the New one is MUCH Nicer Alot Softer ride and seems to flex much better. One thing i would like to try is to replace the shocks i feel if i do It will be even better of a ride. The shocks that come with it are Super Stiff it took me and a friend to compress them by hand

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I may be a Guinea pig and try their new 4.5" Kit with the Military wrapped springs .....

Either way It's going to be a complete Honest assessment. My YJ is going to be more of a DD then trail rig anyway considering my XJ already has plenty of armor, rock rash, its locked and has a 100" wheelbase. Now lets not turn this into a Bashing thread I figured I would be a great candidate to make an honest assessment considering I've ran different quality lifts on a YJ so I can give an honest judgement
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I may be a Guinea pig and try their new 4.5" Kit with the Military wrapped springs .....

I just called them up and got a quote for just the springs and i might get a set myself

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto

Sun Visor Fix How To

Quote:
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post
I just called them up and got a quote for just the springs and i might get a set myself
Did ya get a Part # ?
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did ya get a Part # ?
I believe he said the #'s are 8064 & 8065

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread

Another YJ Resto

Sun Visor Fix How To

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was hoping you would lean towards the Zone kit , we have heard a lot of negative about RC , it would be nice to hear about an inexpesive alterantive
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_
I was hoping you would lean towards the Zone kit , we have heard a lot of negative about RC , it would be nice to hear about an inexpesive alterantive
Which is why it's a contender in the mix. I PMed zone about prices shipped with a JF discount they have not replied yet
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
were you running track bars? how tight were the shackles?

that will hinder ride a lot
No track bars or sway bar and shackles to 35-45#
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.