The Ultimate Coolant Temp Sender/Sensor Thread Once and For All - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Ultimate Coolant Temp Sender/Sensor Thread Once and For All

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
fgcox1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Youse guys are all genius'es!!!!

It is on the drivers rear (ouch!) and was broken off, looking just like a bolt head. Muddy93, you de man!

Unscrewed and replaced, it works great.

I do think it is interesting that the 93 YH FSM is wrong. I wonder how many folks have been led astray?

Anyway, I owe each of you a cervesa of your choice if you are ever in Dallas!
Tnx Fred

fgcox1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #17
quadrider21

92 2.5L swaped with 2000 2.5L

I swaped my 92 2.5L engine because the temp senor was broken off

Any ways, the 2000 2.5L doesn't have the same sensor in the head that my 92 did. Any one have a good idea on how I can get a good temp reading with out drilling and tapping the head?
quadrider21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #18
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrider21 View Post

Any ways, the 2000 2.5L doesn't have the same sensor in the head that my 92 did. Any one have a good idea on how I can get a good temp reading with out drilling and tapping the head?
if this motor is out of a 2000 Wrangler then it is not a 2.5L I believe it to be a 2.4L and is a whole different motor.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
khurley
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrider21 View Post

I have a 96 cherokee, 4.0 inline 6 cyl. I recently installed a reman, and the whole for the temp guage sending unit is not there. My question is the same, any ideas what I can do to get a reading to my temp guage?
khurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
bartolo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if u unplug the sensor temp for the computer will the jeep stall i was mudding and my temp sensor for the computer broke and it was just hanging my jeep 91 yj 4.0 ho stall on me after looking around i found this put it back in place and a few minutes later it start would that be the probem i had?
bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolo View Post
if u unplug the sensor temp for the computer will the jeep stall i was mudding and my temp sensor for the computer broke and it was just hanging my jeep 91 yj 4.0 ho stall on me after looking around i found this put it back in place and a few minutes later it start would that be the probem i had?
Possibly. I've had mine unplugged and nothing ever came of it, but I was playing with an XJ one time and I unplugged it and the electric fan came on and would stay on. If the computer can't sense how much fuel to put in the engine it might cause it to have hard starts or not run as efficiently. If you broke it though you should replace it. Its only 14 bucks at autozone. I can't remember how much the coolant temp sender is, I replaced that years ago after I broke it when doing a valve job.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
khurley
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 96 cherokee, 4.0 inline 6 cyl. I recently installed a reman, and the hole for the temp guage sending unit is not there. My question is the same, any ideas what I can do to get a reading to my temp guage?
khurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone post a pic of the ECM CTS on a 1990 4-banger?
brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #24
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have 93 94 and 95 2.5L ...and a 95 4.0 ... anything needed to check? on their be glad to help
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
That's oil pressure, engine coolant temp. is, driver side rear corner, next to the valve cover.

fgcox, the sensor may only appear to be a stud sticking up from the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcox1 View Post
It is on the drivers rear (ouch!) and was broken off, looking just like a bolt head. Muddy93, you de man!

Tnx Fred
No love for timatoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Temp sensor

Here is a good post for function:
image064.jpg   image066.jpg  
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
ckimbrough66
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have the same wire loose. would that cause any problems? like my yj running very rough?
ckimbrough66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #28
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not from the temp sensor in the rear of the engine. It is strickly for the guage.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, this thread is clear as mud. Too many engines, too many combinations/variations. I will add to the original description regarding temp sensors/switches for the 4.2 L carbed engine. this engine actually has 3 temp sensors. Two are located on the driver's side manifold.

Usually the two wire switch is in the forward location, the single wire switch is in the rear location, but on my engine they are reversed. Doesn't make any difference as they both will measure the coolant temp. The single wire switch is used for the intake manifold heater operation. The two wire switch is used for the operation of the closed loop system with the ECM and in conjunction with the Thermal Electric Switch in the air cleaner.

On the rear of the block next to the valve cover and by the firewall is the third coolant temp sensor which operates the gauge on a 4.2L engine. It has a single purple wire to it as shown here.

This applies pretty much to all stock 4.2L engines, though many folks have no need for the either of the two manifold mounted if they have nuttered their engines and removed or disabled their intake heaters. Hope this clarifies things some.

b
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
87yjrad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bernie! That's exactly what I needed. I just did a Howell FI conversion and can't get my temp gauge working. That helps a lot because I saw three sensors but didn't know what each one did. I'll get it not. Cool.
87yjrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.