uHaul and moving jeep question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > uHaul and moving jeep question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

uHaul and moving jeep question

I am going to move from Corpus Christi TX to Fort Worth TX ~500 miles....I need to rent a Uhaul and planned to pull my jeep behind it on one of those car carriers. I have 33" tires - anyone used one of these with larger than stock tires - i think the rental place said 265/60R15 are largest - but that may be for their insurance purposes. anyone broke the rules?

Unread 04-19-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i pulled mine with 31x10.50's, with the rims I have my tires stick out about 3 to 4" from the fender flares. I used u-haul's car carrier where you pull the whole vehicle up on it.
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj
i pulled mine with 31x10.50's, with the rims I have my tires stick out about 3 to 4" from the fender flares. I used u-haul's car carrier where you pull the whole vehicle up on it.
yeah that is what i figured....do you have 15x10" wheels? anyway, from what you remember, do you think there was enough room in the straps to fit a couple more inches of tire? i dont think the width will be an issue - just if i can get it from uhaul without having to show them my jeep!

Thanks, TB
Unread 04-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I brought my CJ home on one of those Uhaul tow dollies. The Jeep had an assortment of 33" tires on it at the time. If I remember correctly, it was a tight fit but it worked..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
sonic289

I just went though this about 2 weeks ago... I have 33's and they did not fit. I was trapped in NJ and had to get back to Michigan. I ended up letting some (ok, at least half) the air out of the tires and had a buddy stand on the tire to compress it some. It was shady as he11 but I got it home without a problem, the trip was almost 700 miles. Just check the straps at every gas/food/bathroom stop.
1991 Wrangler, all black (EDIT: Now Flat Tan), 2.5 liters of raw horsepower, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5" Mud Kings, Black Steel Wheels, Borla Exhaust, Line-X'ed interior, LED taillights, Cavalier front seats, etc. Khaki Jeep Club Memeber No. 2

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, etc.
sonic289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic289
I just went though this about 2 weeks ago... I have 33's and they did not fit. I was trapped in NJ and had to get back to Michigan. I ended up letting some (ok, at least half) the air out of the tires and had a buddy stand on the tire to compress it some. It was shady as he11 but I got it home without a problem, the trip was almost 700 miles. Just check the straps at every gas/food/bathroom stop.
Sonic - thanks for the info - i was thinking that i could let some air out of the tires.. i have never used one of those car carriers before...is there anywhere to attach additional tie downs like more straps, chain etc to secure it more? TB
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
MuddyV8YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't ever towed my jeep with wheels on the ground, but i was wondering if you were considering removing the rear/front driveshaft?
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyV8YJ
I haven't ever towed my jeep with wheels on the ground, but i was wondering if you were considering removing the rear/front driveshaft?
i was planning on getting the car carrier that loads the entire Jeep up on the trailer - if i get stuck using a car dolly (where the front tires are on the trailer and rears are on pavement), i will have to remove the rear driveshaft.

Thanks, TB
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
sonic289

Actually there is tow chains attached to the tow dolly itself, I wrapped them around the axle. I was thinking I could take some ratchet straps or a come-along to use as additional back up just in case but I didn't end up doing that. There are additional spots on the dolly where you could potentially attatch additional straps as a 2nd backup to the chains.

Also, to answer your other question I picked up my dolly without the Jeep there so they will not (or in my case did not) need to see the Jeep. It can be your own dirty little secret.

Finally, even though I have a stick I removed my rear drive shaft for towing. You may already be doing it or know how to do it but incase you don't the 4 bolts holding the straps on the u-joints are 5/16 and when you slide the drive shaft out oil will come out of the transfer case... To save this and to prevent oil from dripping out the whole way home I cut the end off of a coke bottle and jammed it on the end of the T-case and duct taped it on until I got home.
1991 Wrangler, all black (EDIT: Now Flat Tan), 2.5 liters of raw horsepower, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5" Mud Kings, Black Steel Wheels, Borla Exhaust, Line-X'ed interior, LED taillights, Cavalier front seats, etc. Khaki Jeep Club Memeber No. 2

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, etc.
sonic289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

OKay so I have been doing some internet searching and any pros cons out there for flat towing with a tow-bar set up? A while ago I had a custom front bumper made with weld-thru extraction points...i think i can get a tow bar to fit that set-up and just pull it behind the unaul...any input greatly appreciated..TB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.