uh oh...this cant be good - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > uh oh...this cant be good

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-25-2002, 02:36 AM   #1
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

uh oh...this cant be good

I was driving down the road last night and I heard a clunk and a bunch of noise. I looked under my Jeep and the rear drive shaft had completely come off on the differential side. I was in the middle of the intersection(in DC) and I needed to get out. I put it in 4WD and got out of the intersection, but I lost the drive shaft completely. Is this fixable? Should I spring for the SYE and CV drive shaft? I really hope I didn't screw up the transfer case. Any help?

04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 07:11 AM   #2
dartboy

HAd the same thing happen a few months ago. Except my 4x4 wouldn't engage to get me out of the way. I had to go back and pick up my drive shaft, fell out while pushing Jeep out of the way as I had nothing to tie it up with. Had to replace my slip yolk(it was Junked), and both universals. Everything has been fine since.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Capa

Would this have anything to do with the lift you put on?

I'm about to purchase the RC lift, that's why I ask.
Capa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The bolt that connects the driveshaft yolk to the differential pinion shaft yolk were gone. It looks like I can just replace the bolts and put the old driveshaft back on. My question is: Because I drove with it out I have no idea what position it should be in. I know the driveshaft is balenced, will this mess thigs up even worst if I put it on unbalenced?

I dont think this was a result of the RC lift, It pulled out of the differential side because the bolts were apparently loose.

I do want o get a SYE and CV driveshaft and get rid of the T case drop. Anyone do this? hard?
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 10:29 AM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the driveshaft is balanced out of the Jeep, so you can just slide it back in if it's not damaged. Usually when the rear goes like that, it commonly damages one of the yokes. I'd check and make sure a u-joint fits perfectly in the yokes. Ya might need a new yoke. Keep the old one for a spare. A yoke is a very useful spare to carry.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
Mad Man

I've had the same problem with the bolts from the strap and bolt kit coming loose... I finally just drilled out the yolk and use a normal U-Bolt kit and that solved the problem.

Mad Man
Custom K&N conical setup, Custom Exhaust,
Optima Yellow Top, tons of other stuff
President "Michiana Jeepers"
2000 WJ Laredo Stock Wifes Ride
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab Tow Vehicle
Mad Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
Dan Morera

The same thing happended to me two weeks ago, it's no big deal. When I heard the u-joint go I stopped and took of the driveshaft put the Jeep on 4wd and to it home, I just replaced the u-joint and it works fine. I do agree that you must look carefully for any damage on any of the other joints.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.