Uh-Oh (BRAKE!) whump!!!.... buzzard fail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Uh-Oh (BRAKE!) whump!!!.... buzzard fail

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Uh-Oh (BRAKE!) whump!!!.... buzzard fail

Dang, the first really nice weekend of the year, all set to go play with the new ARB in my rear diff, and the SHTF. Or rather, the buzzard hit the windshield.

Coming home last night with my daughter up the road to our house, sweeping curve to the left. See a dead deer (that wasn't there in the morning) on the left side of the road with three buzzards feasting at the roadside cafe. They take off, all looks good, when one of them decides to become a kamikaze. It's over thirty feet in the air, safe and sound, then turns on a dime and dive-bombs straight into my windshield. No time to react, other than to try and slow down a bit. For the record, hitting a buzzard dead-on with your windshield at 45 mph is a real attention getter.

Scared the heck out of my daughter, who was texting on her phone and didn't see it coming. Little bits of glass blew all over me and my side of the jeep, good thing I had my sunglasses on. I'm just glad it didn't hit her side of the glass, or come completely through the windshield. This could have ended up so much worse. This is also a good lesson for my daughter, who will be getting her driver's license this year: Things can happen real fast when you are driving a vehicle, and it's not always *you* who causes an accident. Swerving to miss the bird could have put us into some trees and become a major injury accident instead of simply just some glass.

Stupid bird. Grrrr.....

Got an appointment to have a new windshield put in Monday morning. On the bright side, at least now I'll be able to drive into the sun for the first time without the haze of an old pitted windshield.

Let's see if these cell phone pics come out.

windshield1r.jpg   042300_1745-01-r.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Holy crap! Good thing you had an eye on it, and were slightly prepared for it. Well, as prepared as you can get when a buzzard is hurtling toward your jeep at breakneck speeds. Glad to hear you two are okay!

H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
USAFRecon

I am sorry I can't stop laughin, I am glad you are ok but just the way you told the story just really made me start laughin
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

awesome...any pics of buzzard?
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No, didn't get any pics of the bird. I kinda bummed on the bird's behalf, I don't like the needless death of any animal, and it was just enjoying an evening meal. However, I don't know if it was having avian aspirations of being a raptor and scaring me away from it's food, or figured a game of "chicken" would be big fun. Either way, the end result was a rear-view mirror full of feathers flying in a mushroom cloud.
Unread 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You know what the last thing to go through that bird's mind was...... it's butt!

Glad you and your daughter are ok.
Marine_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just for laughs, I decided to have some fun for the time being. Here's the pic of my jeep's new passenger and the "home" it's made for itself. Figured it would be nice to have this pic on file in case the right family member was bragging about the dangerous critters in "their" part of the world.

I guess I could say it's cheaper than an alarm system to prevent theft, and eats less than a guard dog...
spiderwindowr.jpg  
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! glad you guys are alright. I had a Turkey do that to me about 10yrs ago. I was doing 50mph in a Ford van and the turkey was flying acroos the road. The side wing window and mirror hide it from view until just before impact. It hit dead center on the driver side of the windshield. Scared the poo outta me and spidered the whole windshield out. I had only a small clear spot around the inspection sticker to see thru. Luckily I was also wearing sunglasses so the glass chips didn't get in my eyes, if they were even open. It's like someone throwing a 20 pound sandbag into your windshield.... 3 weeks later I had another close call with a turkey but this time he just twanged the antenna....
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Bongi22
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
I don't like the needless death of any animal, and it was just enjoying an evening meal.
You should have taken it home and made a dinner.
Then it wouldn't have been needless.
Buzzard stew.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Love the spider picture...
Bongi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Holy ****, that's quite a hit.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Burnerman, as wiley as wild turkeys are to hunt, they ain't the smartest creatures on the planet. About a month ago I was talking to a couple neighbors as they walked up our street. I was idling along next to them, my YJ just crawling along in first gear. Their dog starts chasing a turkey from about 100' away, and the dang thing took off straight for my jeep, the dog tear-assing right behind it, barking it's head off. Dumb bird flew right into the side of my bumper, burst into a cloud of feathers, did a perfect "triple lindy" over the side of my hood, landed in the middle of the street, then got up and staggered away. We all, the dog included, just stoped right there, with this slack jawed look on our faces, thinking "WTF is wrong with that bird? Didn't it SEE the jeep????"
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah Turkey's are not very graceful flyers. Both of the ones that "attacked" me were trying hard to gain altitude after take off.
As for the Buzzard. One of the guys at work had one take off of a "roadside dinner" and got air sick after take off and ejected his lunch on the guys hood. That was to gross to post here..... I think about that when running topless in my Jeep... You think bird poop is bad, buzzard ejection looks like a murder scene....
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So you let your daughter, who only has her permit, text while driving a stick shift vehicle?
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

She was the passenger,HE was driving... she was texting so she didn't see it coming and poo'd her pants.....
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerman View Post
She was the passenger,HE was driving... she was texting so she didn't see it coming and poo'd her pants.....
Ah. The whole thing was kinda vague in that regard. The picture of where the bird hit did clear that up tho.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.