Ughh, electrical issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ughh, electrical issue...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ughh, electrical issue...

Well, lemme start off by saying that the jeep had been running fine and still is but... Today I was working on welding something up on the jeep and I didnt have any ground to hook the welder up to so I just took the ground off the battery, but I forgot to take the positive one off the battery. So as I get done just doing a tack weld, I see smoke coming from my hood light. Well, I melted the cord on it, it was aftermarket. Next thing I do is start up my jeep to make sure I didnt fry the harness and it start up fine, all lights work but my radio wont come on now??? So I figure I should probably drive the jeep to make sure its still ok, I get a little down the road and start to turn and it shuts off, all electrical still worked on the inside though, and it started right back up and it did fine the rest of the trip. Is this something I should check into now??

1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
tri486
2000 TJ Wrangler 

HMm well first off would be the fuses, then possible u melted a main wire somewhere and it finally broke after driving it. hmm maby your burned out your battery but if you were driving it then it died the engine dosnt rely on the batter once its started..
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im not sure if I should be worried about this or not, any other suggestions?
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You need to better describe any remaining symptoms that you are suffering from. Are there any codes stored? This kind of amperage shock can reek havoc on the electronics, so yes you should be worried, but try to catalog all of the symptoms that have cropped up and hopefully someone on this board can help to sort them out. There simply is not enough information for anyone to attempt a diagnosis over the web at this point in time.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The only thing that I can tell so far is that the radio and hood light have blown. The engine and all lights are good. Other then the fact that it shutoff while driving. It seems to idle fine and it didnt mess up anymore after it shutoff. I was able to start it up right after it shut off also. How do I get codes from it?
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad92yj View Post
The only thing that I can tell so far is that the radio and hood light have blown. The engine and all lights are good. Other then the fact that it shutoff while driving. It seems to idle fine and it didnt mess up anymore after it shutoff. I was able to start it up right after it shut off also. How do I get codes from it?
Here is how ... Diagnostic Trouble Codes
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad92yj View Post
Well, lemme start off by saying that the jeep had been running fine and still is but... Today I was working on welding something up on the jeep and I didnt have any ground to hook the welder up to so I just took the ground off the battery, but I forgot to take the positive one off the battery. So as I get done just doing a tack weld, I see smoke coming from my hood light. Well, I melted the cord on it, it was aftermarket. Next thing I do is start up my jeep to make sure I didnt fry the harness and it start up fine, all lights work but my radio wont come on now??? So I figure I should probably drive the jeep to make sure its still ok, I get a little down the road and start to turn and it shuts off, all electrical still worked on the inside though, and it started right back up and it did fine the rest of the trip. Is this something I should check into now??
Check the fuse for your radio, in fact check all your fuses. You sent voltage (welding) that had to seek ground apparently. The hood light bulb mayjust be blown.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We were just discussing that question about disconnecting the battery when you weld. You need to check for faults. Did it start right back up? Radio is probably the fuse common to the light.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
warrenpeace24
1999 WJ 

Like I said in the previous thread. It is always a good idea to completely disconnect the battery. That way nothing like this happens. I know people will argue that it is okay, but I am not a gambling man.
warrenpeace24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What was it you were welding on?
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You said you could not find a ground for the welder and took the ground off of the battery.
You did not use the ground for the battery for the ground for the welder did you?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.