UGH more tranny problems! No reverse plus MORE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > UGH more tranny problems! No reverse plus MORE

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

UGH more tranny problems! No reverse plus MORE

So picture this, I've been working on my Jeep for going on 5 months now. I FINALLY have the whole fricken thing back together, looks GORGEOUS. My overly safety conscious dad is coming home in an hour to inspect it and then I planned to go joyriding for the first time. Well I've driven it a tiny bit (around the yard to move it) and it ran fine. I go to drive it into the driveway so I can get an extension cord close enough to use my drill, and as I start to move in reverse, I hear this metal popping noise. Doesn't sound good, I'm like CRAP and jam on the clutch. I get out and examine everything, looks fine. Get back in, move a few feet, same deal. This time I didn't get my foot down as fast though, and it went another foot. It would pop right as I start to move then you wouldn't hear it anymore. So then I put it into first thinking oh hey maybe it's something screwy with reverse. Same deal. Well I got it going once where I didn't hear the pop, so I went ahead and drove it into the driveway. Well I stopped, then realized I needed to move more. I put it in first, and started to release the clutch. The engine just bogs down and acts like I'm trying to start it in 4th or something. I put it in neutral and try again, still same thing. I tried second and even third, same deal. Then I put it in reverse, let out the clutch, nothing. OH prerequisite to this, my reverse had made this whirring/knocking noise and so I had just tried to avoid it as much as possible until I could find out why. Anyways, after I released the clutch pedal all the way, I could hear the whir/knock noise spinning around like I normally do when I'm in reverse, but normally thats when I'm moving. This time I'm going nowhere, it's shifted into reverse, and I can hear it spinning, but I get no wheel movement. Nada. PLEASE tell me I didn't bust my freaking tranny AGAIN. Oh gosh or worse yet my precious T-Case with the already installed SYE. I was so ready to drive her. Anyone have anyyy idea whats going on?

EDIT: I went outside to bang my head on the steering wheel and decided to try it again and see if I got the same results. I started to let out the clutch in reverse, and it moved. But after going about a foot I felt it start to bind up, almost like I was trying to go over something, which is what it felt like when it was approaching the point of making that metal popping noise. So then I stopped it, not wanting to ruin it further.

nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: Actually nevermind on all accounts, I don't think it's transmission related at all. I can't push it in neutral more than it would drive, which is leading me to believe it's brake related. My thoughts are that I've done a lot of backing up lately, and that little automatic adjuster thing that tightens them when you brake in reverse has gotten too tight. So I pulled off one wheel and pulled the drum (checked shoes & such while I was at it) and adjusted the one side. Doing the other tomorrow, and then I'll jack the rear end and see if I can free spin the axle. Keeping my fingers crossed here. Still worried about the whirring/knocking it makes in reverse though, but that's a headache for another day
nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.