Ugh. Janet and Iain's clunky Jeep build. - JeepForum.com
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh. Janet and Iain's clunky Jeep build.

In the past week or so, we started to notice a random clunk sound from below jeep when pulling in/out of parking space on our gravel driveway. We knew we had a cracked driver's motor mount, so we finally got around to replacing it a few days ago. Wow, what a difference it made for drive-ability. But the random clunk is still there and now we are hearing it when pulling it/out of driveway (paved road onto inclined gravel). Despite our best efforts to isolate source of sound, we are having challenges. We think it is coming from the front, but I will note the rear track bar bracket on driver's side is pretty bad.

Have recently replaced front axle u-joints, upper/lower ball joints, steering arm and ends, tie rod and tie rod ends. Our immediate suspicion was that we did not install axle ujoints properly, but now I'm thinking it may be something we have not yet replaced. The items on our initial inspection list (from shop we took jeep to when first purchased) that we have not addressed are steering stabilizer, front and rear track bar, and front sway bar link.

Have a super cool jeep adventure road trip planned for this Monday, but unless we can get this clunk figured out, will have to cancel. UGH!

What will be the fastest way to get this problem diagnosed and fixed? Know any tips to diagnose the problem quickly? Should we run out and buy all of these parts and replace, since they are all in need of replacement and hope one of them fixes it? Or (dare I say it?) take the jeep to a shop to diagnose and/or fix?

EDITED: This thread started as chasing down a mystery clunk sound, which ultimately turned out to be the rear leaf springs. The thread has since morphed into a build thread. However, to learn more about our rebuilding process from day one, I refer you to this link, where the journey began.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...tions-4053338/

Last edited by 92WranglerinUT; 08-28-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Changed thread topic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 07:31 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you just hearing it or do you feel it? You only replaced one motor mount (I would do those as a set), what about the trans mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #3 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't think I am feeling it, but only hear it on gravel in need of grading. We only replaced driver's side. Passenger side looks ok visually. Also, when we picked up rear axle and mm from our fav used parts shop guy, we had our jeep with us. We asked him if he was sure that only the driver's side was bad, because we were happy to buy both. But he reassured us only driver's side was bad. Tranny mount looks ok. That was the first thing I checked, because I had read that if mm bad, then good chance tranny mount could be bad.

post #4 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's tough to diagnose what one refers to as a clunk... It could be as simple as an exhaust bracket swinging. At this point I would suggest rolling around on a creeper under the jeep and giving every joint a good tug, see if any play appears. If you believe it to be coming from the front focus your attention there. Maybe one of you gets under the Jeep (engine off and safely parked) while the other bounces on the bumper.

Quote:

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #5 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Checked exhaust mounts, mm, tranny mount. Checked u-joints/ball joints. Jacked tire up on each side and checked for play and bolts tight. Noted sway link end is funky. Not sure how to check steering stabilizer, but it looks old. Took turns driving in slow tight stop/start circles while other watched. Took turns jumping on bumper. Noted track bar bracket not good.
post #6 of 374 Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the good news is that your Jeep won't mind you removing both the track bars and the stabilizer in your effort to find the source. Bouncing didn't replicate the sound huh? Should be able to eliminate a faulty shock as well then.

Quote:

post #7 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 AM
dalenielsen50

Look at your bushings on st spring shackles, I had a clunk that disappeared when I lifted mine, I also deleted the track bars and sway bar at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Mookdog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bad track bar bracket? Just remove the track bar = problem solved.
post #9 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

This was one of my mysterious clunks. The trans mount is hard to see when it's still mounted.

And it started out with a bad drivers side MM.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #10 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! Just to be safe, we will definitely replace tranny mount today, even if it is not source of clunk. Come to think of it, the clunk sounds very similar to how my accord did when it had a bad sway link end. Will have to redo jumping on bumper, with a specific eye on the sway link. Don't think I did that before.

If removing steering stabilizer to test link end, may as well put a new one back in, so I guess I will go ahead and get one of those, too. May as well get the sway links too, since parts shop is 40 minutes away from home. Will our tie rod puller work on the sway link ends?

Eliminated shocks with bumper jumping, but they are pretty worn. Maybe I should just replace those, too.

As for rear track bar, if there is zero difference in how it will handle at 65mph, then happy to remove that as well. If not, then will have to get a new bracket.

Only have a few days to get this done before our road trip. Guess the quickest way will be to just replace a bunch of stuff.
post #11 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Remove the track bars and the sway bar links. Take it for a drive. Make some turns at speed. If you're ok with the sway, then don't bother putting anything back on. If you're not ok with the sway, put the sway links back on. Repeat drive.

I like my sway bar attached, unless I'm wheeling. Probably because of my driving style. So I made some quick disconnects for the sway links.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #12 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't cancel your trip over this.
I don't think it's major.
Check the trak bar bushings, trak bar bolt tightness, shock bushings, the shocks themselves, shock tightness, trans mounts, torque arm stud, spring bushings, Front caliper tightness, body bushings & bolts, tailgate hinges, hammer left behind rear seat.

If it's the shocks and you want good get Bilstien. Cheap: Skyjacker Hydro 7000.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built."
Henry Ford
post #13 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did not make it to parts store today, but did the following: 1) greased joints/drive shaft; 2) tightened front track bar bracket; and 3) removed rear track bar. Overall jeep is quieter, but the sound is still there. Impossible to replicate accurately from jumping on bumpers, but sure notice squeaky leaf springs. Can reliably replicate clunk at really slow speed mostly when going into a tight turn, and definitely when going over rough enough surface.

Shocks are bad. Passenger sway link end looks about ready to break. Making a shopping list. Really, Chris? Bilstein? Rancho or KYB not good enough?

Question: What are pros/cons for having rear track bar at freeway speed? Feeling lazy about putting it back on.
post #14 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 PM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92WranglerinUT View Post
Shocks are bad. Passenger sway link end looks about ready to break. Making a shopping list. Really, Chris? Bilstein? Rancho or KYB not good enough?

Question: What are pros/cons for having rear track bar at freeway speed? Feeling lazy about putting it back on.
There is 100% no reason to have a rear track bar on a a leaf sprung YJ. The front one serves a minor purpose (not having it can throw your steering off slightly in certain situations you should probably never be in anyway). There's a huge thread somewhere about it, probably in the FAQ.

I have a brand spanking new rear trackbar sitting in a box. I installed it and cycled the suspension with a jack a few times. I realized it was dumb. I took it off and threw it back in the box. So far I'm keeping the front one, but I welded in an extension to keep the angle of it consistent with the drag link.

I know Chris' answer on the shocks, but I'll save that for him!

Edit: I take that back, there's 1 reason to keep the rear track bar : You live in a state that has an extremely thorough inspection process and will ding you for it. In which case you throw it on before the inspection, and then pull it off afterwards.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.

Last edited by project_mercy; 07-12-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: stupid inspections.
post #15 of 374 Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You did good. You could be getting a sound from the leafs, leaf bushings or shocks. Did you try snugging/checking the shackle bolts?
You could disconnect the sway bar since it's questionable anyway and check for clunks. Same with the front track bar.
Yes on the Bilsteins...
Don't bother reinstalling the rear bar. It's lonely on the side yard without the front one tho...

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.