U-joint or tranny problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U-joint or tranny problem?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
GIJimmay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

U-joint or tranny problem?

Hi guys!!! So the other day i was coming up on a stop sign and my jeep made an unnerving thump when i came to a stop and put it in first, after this my jeep would move maybe a quarter inch and freeze (almost like the parking brake was on but it wasn't). Having no way to get it back home i put it in 4 wheel and gave er a little more juice and i broke loose, i drove home with a loud CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK as i went down the road, however the transmssion had no "funny feelings" to it and it sounded like it may have been theu joint any ideas?

GIJimmay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
cesarcal1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check your brakes. Something similar happened to me and it ended up being the pads from one of my rear brakes came off the metal part and was locking up one of my rear wheels. Ended up doing both rear drums and new wheel cylinders while I was at it.
cesarcal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Should not of drove it home.................Crawl under it and check your u-joints.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well......... it could be a U-joint. Look under your Jeep and see what they look like.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
GIJimmay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

quick update definatley not u joints lookin at trannt/t case next
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check the brakes yet? Cesar might be on to something there. Also an easier check then your transmission, and are you dealing with an auto, manual, 4 cyl or 6. Did this happen while in a turn?
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
GIJimmay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

sorry forgot to specify, 4.0 I6 and its a manual, havent had a chance to check the brakes yet, damn that easter weekend!! lol, will get an oppourtunity later this week
Unread 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I also suggest to check the brakes. The pads that are on the shoes do come loose and would make sense with the big pop that you heard.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.