U Joint Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U Joint Replacement

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

U Joint Replacement

Anybody know of a good write-up on replacing U Joints? I am getting alot of rattling under my 88 YJ and from all I've read on the forums, it seems that the U-joint is the culprit. Also, can anybody tell me how much mechanical ability one would need to change a U-Joint, and what tools would be required? I checked with the mechanic and he told me the would charge around 100-150 dollars, so if possible I would like to do the work myself and save some money. I have a Chilton's manual but the write up in there seemed to require prior knowledge of U-joint replacement to get started. Thanks for the help.

DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On the axles or driveshafts? The process is similar, but the axles are a bigger PITA.

Here's a writeup. Since I dont have a vise, I used a BFH to smack the small socket.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...n/1272541.html

on the axles, you'll have to first removes them from the tubes. I know there's a writeup somewhere, but my boss is coming.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

its fairly simple really, especially on the driveshaft. for tools you need a 7mm (as i recall) socket to remove the four bolts that are on the u-joint straps on the rear yoke. then slide the driveshaft out (Im assuming a stock driveshaft). now you need a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the retaining clips that hold the caps in place. there are two on the axle end, and four on the t-case end. Now, to remove the joints from the shaft, the best thing is a u-joint tool. it looks like a bog c-clamp, harbor freight has them for about 35 bucks. if you dont have that, a BFH and a punch can be used for removal. you need to pound the joint through enough to remove one of the bearing caps, then pound it the other way and pull the other cap, then the u-joint should come right out.

to re-install the new ones, pull the caps off, minding the needle bearings stay in place. slide the caps in as far as you can, put the u-joint in, then use a shop vice to press the caps in, make sure you dont knock the needle bearings out of place. then use the u-joint tool to press them in the rest of the way. use a needle nose to install the new retaining clips, and you are done. grease em up and put the shaft back in.

your Haynes manual should detail this procedure as well
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure its on the drive shaft, as most of the clanking and rattling seems to be coming from under the jeep behind the front seats. I got under the Jeep a while ago and checked it out, but I really don't know if there is a way to check and see if if the U joints are really whats damaged. Any ideas on how I could check this? Thanks for the responses so far.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Johnny World
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
I am pretty sure its on the drive shaft, as most of the clanking and rattling seems to be coming from under the jeep behind the front seats. I got under the Jeep a while ago and checked it out, but I really don't know if there is a way to check and see if if the U joints are really whats damaged. Any ideas on how I could check this? Thanks for the responses so far.
Here you go. I had the same problem and got good answers.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/look-what-i-discovered-today-pics-clips-269248/

And as for not knowing how to change a u-joint, don't worry, I didn't even know what a u-joint was. but reparing it myself was probably the smoothest repair i've done on my YJ to date.

I used this write up to install my new u-joints.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/

oh yeah, if your replacing one u-joint, might as well replace the other. (rear driveshaft has 2).
Unread 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
ragtopkid

Front has 2 u loints also, real easy to do with my 20 ton shop press, but I have done the socket/ BFH route and big vise route also. I am just at that point in my life that I can afford the correct tools to do the job as easy as possible.
ragtopkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

http://www.delta4x4club.com/TECH/UNIVERSAL/UJOINTS.php

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.