U-bolt style vs. strap style (driveshaft to yoke u-joint) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U-bolt style vs. strap style (driveshaft to yoke u-joint)

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

U-bolt style vs. strap style (driveshaft to yoke u-joint)

Wondering what people's thoughts are on u-bolts vs. straps for a 1310 series driveshaft u-joint being mating to the yoke? Is there any advantage to going with the u-bolts? Also, if the u-bolts are worth it, is it simply a case of drilling out the yoke bolt holes for installation?

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Yjeep93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i went to u-bolts. my opinion is that they are a far better idea then the straps. when you snap a ujoint or break a strap the bolt holding the strap in the yoke is snapped off inside. if your lucky you can get some pliers on it to unthread it but usually you have to get an easy out in there. if you snap a ujoint with the ubolts all you have to do is throw in a new ubolt or just straighten one. the ones that i used are from a ford...??? i got mine from shucks and the part number is 81008. and yes all you have to do is drill out your yoke. it is very hard to drill it while it is still in the jeep though. i would recommend using a drill press. just make sure you get your pinion nut tight when you go to put it back together. your supposed to use a new nut when you remove the old but eh.. =) hope this helps!
Yjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8AHUMR View Post
Wondering what people's thoughts are on u-bolts vs. straps for a 1310 series driveshaft u-joint being mating to the yoke?
ultimately i like the ubolt style but there are some issues to watch out for:

Quote:
Is there any advantage to going with the u-bolts?
the only real advantage is the one stated in the first response. ill explain...

Quote:
Also, if the u-bolts are worth it, is it simply a case of drilling out the yoke bolt holes for installation?
no. you can do this, and many have, but it will leave very little yoke "meat" around the ubolt. you can get a yoke made for ubolts for $50.00.

i state that the only advantage was the one previously stated because far too many people convert to ubolts to eliminate the straps stretching and ultimately throwing ujoints. this is simply a band-aid. if you are stretching straps you will ultimatley stretch ubolts. i have gone through this personally. whatever your driveline woes are, they need to be fixed first. for me it was a bad pinion angle after tweaking springs.

the advantage of the straps is, no matter what torque you place on the bolts the pressure on the ujoint caps is somewhat consistent. with the ubolts you have to be very carefull how tight you get them. it is quite easy to overtighten and deform the cap. this will eventually cause the needle bearings to disintegrate.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
boggerjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i went to ubolts after my straps kept failing.had to buy a new yoke. i would tighten the straps and the u joint was still loose.
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had thoughts about doing this, once upon a time. But instead, I took a more, shall we say, reliable route. I dumped the D35 for the 8.8 and got the flange yoke instead.

However, I still have the straps up front, but I'm not that concerned about it and I carry spares in my ditty bag anyway.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
I had thoughts about doing this, once upon a time. But instead, I took a more, shall we say, reliable route. I dumped the D35 for the 8.8 and got the flange yoke instead.

However, I still have the straps up front, but I'm not that concerned about it and I carry spares in my ditty bag anyway.

WRM
Agree. The 8.8 uses a flange. Much better.
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #7
Thaddeus-J
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any experience with a conversion kit? I gotta change a pinion seal cuz it's leaking and will replace all the u-joints while I'm at it. I searched for a yoke conversion kit and this one popped up.

Heavy Duty U Bolt Yoke Conversion Kit
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus-J View Post
Anyone have any experience with a conversion kit? I gotta change a pinion seal cuz it's leaking and will replace all the u-joints while I'm at it. I searched for a yoke conversion kit and this one popped up.

Looks like a pretty good kit.

BTW: IIRC they have free shipping this weekend. Or, at least 4WD.com does.

You may want to look there as well.
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Jeeper_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus-J View Post

If you have the D44 axle that seems like a slick deal there.

If you have the D35 axle I would opt for the 8.8 axle. I paid at the JY $177 (disc brakes, 4:10, and lsd) sold the D35 for $100! Not much more than the kit you posted.

Looks like they also make it for the D30. I might think about that. Thanks!
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
t-bird
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Last edited by t-bird; 01-07-2011 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: wrong thread
t-bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I installed the u-bolt on my '91 YJ as I had to keep changing the u-joint. I have not had any problems since. My old yoke had spread some and the u-joint was moving in the yoke even when the straps where tight.
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry408 View Post
... My old yoke had spread some and the u-joint was moving in the yoke even when the straps where tight.
That should tell you something was wrong. damaged strap, wrong strap, damaged yoke.. something. Failure was inevitable.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I never had an issue running the straps. The u bolts on the 9" were just another bonus but I still run straps on the front and have never broken one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you go to u-bolts and replace the yoke try looking at you local driveshaft builder or supplier they might have whay you want for a lot less than the 4 wheel drive shops. Remember when they say that they are a 4x4 shop or supplier they markup stuff too high for what others will sell the same thing for.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

THese are nice

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.