U-Bolt like knife on Axle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > U-Bolt like knife on Axle

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallysport View Post
I opened up the axle case to find info on my gear ratio. It's a 3.07 (43-13). Initial inspection has one of the spider gears pitted, but only one.
It only takes one. Id get rid of it before you have real problems...

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

3.07 Dana 35's are cheap. AmmitOsiris will have one available once he gets off his behind and swaps the rear end I arranged for him.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got a 35 I'd be willing to part with. I can bring it over to Pleasant Hill sometime. I'm not sure the gears, I can open it if you'd like. I pulled it off my jeep a year ago and it hasn't moved much since. I'm not sure the condition, I figured I'd look at it more once i planned to sell it along with the front, as like these guys are saying, i moved up in size. but yeah, if you're interested in one, just PM me, and I'll take pictures of whatever you want to see before i lug it out there.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit
I got a 35 I'd be willing to part with. I can bring it over to Pleasant Hill sometime. I'm not sure the gears, I can open it if you'd like. I pulled it off my jeep a year ago and it hasn't moved much since. I'm not sure the condition, I figured I'd look at it more once i planned to sell it along with the front, as like these guys are saying, i moved up in size. but yeah, if you're interested in one, just PM me, and I'll take pictures of whatever you want to see before i lug it out there.
Well what engine do you have?

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammitosiris View Post

well what engine do you have?
Project #1- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/5-0-yj-right-way-1799609/
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post
I think he meant stock engine
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #22
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

I think he meant stock engine
If the engine isn't stock, I wouldn't expect the gears to be stock. But the PO told me it originally came with the 2.5 I4
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Most likely the u bolts were loose for years and just wore through the tubes.

When you need new u bolts, swing by Dentoni's at 5650 imhoff in concord. I worked for the company for years, then I left, and a long story short I am back for the mean time. I work out of the Stockton area and Bay Area. We can make u bolts on the spot in concord, and if we don't have the material, we will have them read for pickup the next day.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipit View Post

If the engine isn't stock, I wouldn't expect the gears to be stock. But the PO told me it originally came with the 2.5 I4
In that case it has 4.10 gears which is the most desirable stock gearing in a Jeep. So the PO very well may have left them.
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

In that case it has 4.10 gears which is the most desirable stock gearing in a Jeep. So the PO very well may have left them.
Well hey even better. Not to criticize the PO, but he was a madman, so I would not be surprised if he tossed in a random gearing, but if they are desirable then he probably left them in. again, I figured I'd check them out once I was done with their replacements, which should be this month, but hey, if a fellow JFer needs one, I can at last see if I got what they need.
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
mcnallysport
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, back at the ranch, I wanted to see if that U-bolt that cut through the housing actually started in on the semi-floating axle. So I went to remove the spider gears (one pitted) and quickly realized the last guy in this differential really didn't want anyone back... He used a spring clip to retain the spider shaft instead of the stock retaining bolt (which probably have a history of crapping out). Any ideas on how to pull this out, let me know, perhaps put some threads in it then pull it w/ a bolt, but there is so little room...

I should "PM" AmmitOsiris as he suggested, but I'm such a rookie on this site I don't know what "PM" stands for...

Tech data- Engine 4.2L with 240KMiles, (did a compression check to see how much to spend on an axle). Need to spend $ on engine so the 8.8 will have to wait awhile, looking for the 3.07 (43-14) dana 35.
mcnallysport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

PM = private message

if you click on his name, a menu opens up.... one of the options is "send a private message to ______" whoever it is you clicked on
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
flipit
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallysport View Post

I should "PM" AmmitOsiris as he suggested, but I'm such a rookie on this site I don't know what "PM" stands for....
Private message.
Ah, my phone is slow out here, you got it
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
mcnallysport
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the "driving" instructions.
mcnallysport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #30
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Craziness! I'm guess the ubolt is stretched more than the tube is dug out? love to see 'after' pics when you take it apart
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.