Two Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Two Questions

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-06-2002, 04:18 AM   #1
FLYBYU

Two Questions

I just got my 94 YJ back from the dealership after having the clutch and rearend redone (expensive!) I've only owned this Jeep for about a week (it's my first.) My first question is if it is normal for the clutch to engage very near to the end of the pedal movement or did the dealership just adjust it wrong? My other question is if it is normal to have problems downshifting into second from third with the manual, I have to be going very slow before I can get it to slip into second, it doesn't grind or anything so I don't believe it's the sycros. I've experianced this trait in other gearboxes as well (mostly large trucks) so I'm wondering if it's a Jeep thing or if my tranny's shot.

FLYBYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 93 and the clitch is not adjustable, it has a hydraulic slave cylinder and i understand that they are supposed to adjust themselves.have no problems shifting mine
Unread 02-06-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
Tailgummer

Rickr is correct. The clutch on a YJ is a hydraulic clutch with a master cylinder and slave cylinder. They are not adjustable. Did your shop replace the slave cylinder while they were in there? Most of the YJ's I have driven tend to actuate farther out in the pedal than I care for but not excessively so. Watch your fluid level in the master cylinder to make sure you are not leaking any. Check your receipt to see if the dealer replaced the master cylinder and the slave cylinder while they were in there. It is goodness if they did.
The down shift is a Jeep thing. Jeeps are trucks (originally 1/4 ton)
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:25 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On a 94 the slave cylinder is external. So unlike the earlier years, it's not a huge deal if it's not replaced when the clutch is replaced.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
jeepster18_88

Are you sure that they replace the clutch and if they did, was it with a new or rebuilt one. As for the downshifting, my YJ never had a problem but my CJ does. Try backing up for a few hundred feet and it will somehow "adjust" or something the syncros and should help you. Hope it helps.
Unread 02-07-2002, 12:51 PM   #6
Skeeter

I had the same problem in my 94 YJ!
I changed all the fluids to senthetic and
it help alot. good luck
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.