Two engine issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Two engine issues...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 04-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
kadgarth
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Two engine issues...

I have a 1987 4.2L Wrangler with a weber carb.

About a week ago two weird things started happening. I assume they're related but have no proof of it.

First, whenever I've driven my Jeep for more than a couple minutes it makes a big "whoosh" sound when I turn it off. Imagine a Soda bottle opening but louder and more violent.

Second, if I've been running the Jeep for a good 10-15 minutes when I go to turn it off it will "diesel" 3-4 times before finally cutting out. I.e. keep turning over after I've turned off the ignition.

Lastly, two days ago I noticed a decent amount of anti-freeze on my front bumper after driving the Jeep to work. My overflow cap was open and it hasn't happened since I closed it, but I don't see how coolant could get to to the front bumper from it so I don't know if that was really the cause.

Things I've checked:

Engine Thermostat reads normal. It will go slightly above the center mark, then go back down, then repeat. I assume this is just the thermostat actuating on/off so it appears to be working.

Second: Theres plenty of antifreeze.

Third: I'm going to try running either 91 or 93 octane instead of 87 to see if it helps with the dieseling. Thats more of a band aid than a fix though.

Its recently gone from an average high of 60 to almost 85 where I live if thats relevant.

Thanks for reading

kadgarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

dieseling is usually the result of a timing issue. How long have you had the weber carb and is it nuttered?
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
kadgarth
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I only bought the Jeep in February and the PO didn't have any records on it so I don't know how long the carb has been in there.

I honestly havn't check if its nuttered or not... is there a foolproof easy way to quickly check?

Last edited by kadgarth; 04-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: edit
kadgarth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.