Two engine issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Two engine issues...

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
kadgarth
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Two engine issues...

I have a 1987 4.2L Wrangler with a weber carb.

About a week ago two weird things started happening. I assume they're related but have no proof of it.

First, whenever I've driven my Jeep for more than a couple minutes it makes a big "whoosh" sound when I turn it off. Imagine a Soda bottle opening but louder and more violent.

Second, if I've been running the Jeep for a good 10-15 minutes when I go to turn it off it will "diesel" 3-4 times before finally cutting out. I.e. keep turning over after I've turned off the ignition.

Lastly, two days ago I noticed a decent amount of anti-freeze on my front bumper after driving the Jeep to work. My overflow cap was open and it hasn't happened since I closed it, but I don't see how coolant could get to to the front bumper from it so I don't know if that was really the cause.

Things I've checked:

Engine Thermostat reads normal. It will go slightly above the center mark, then go back down, then repeat. I assume this is just the thermostat actuating on/off so it appears to be working.

Second: Theres plenty of antifreeze.

Third: I'm going to try running either 91 or 93 octane instead of 87 to see if it helps with the dieseling. Thats more of a band aid than a fix though.

Its recently gone from an average high of 60 to almost 85 where I live if thats relevant.

Thanks for reading

kadgarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

dieseling is usually the result of a timing issue. How long have you had the weber carb and is it nuttered?
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
kadgarth
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I only bought the Jeep in February and the PO didn't have any records on it so I don't know how long the carb has been in there.

I honestly havn't check if its nuttered or not... is there a foolproof easy way to quickly check?

Last edited by kadgarth; 04-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: edit
kadgarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.