Turner: A collection of Jeep, Jeep Mods, and Wheeling. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turner: A collection of Jeep, Jeep Mods, and Wheeling.

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Turner: A collection of Jeep, Jeep Mods, and Wheeling.

Well I have loved all the writeups on this forum so I decided I would add my Jeep and mods to the list for some folks. I understand not everyone will agree with how I do things and why I do things but thats not why I'm posting... If you don't enjoy my writings then it is your own fault for looking. I will start from the beginning of my wheeling life. It will hopefully give you some insight to how I handle my experiences.

When I was 14 I was heavy into motorcycles. I raced many Harescrambles and loved the smell of exhaust. Took my bikes apart many times just because I was bored and loved working on the motors. My dad also rode and knew within a couple of years I would be driving so he had a little cash laying around and decided it was time to get me something I could know head to toe so I could be prepared for the priveledge I was given. Driving! He asked what I would like and suggested a Jeep because he always wanted one, but I needed a truck for my bikes. One day he surprised me with this shiny gem!

It had the 22re motor (Best Toyota motor ever built) and 5speed. Unlike most youngsters that can't drive a stick I was well aware of how to use a clutch. I caught on in about 10 minutes thank goodness cause pop has a short fuse. lol. He let me burn up the roads as long as he was with me at 14. I was the cool kid in school cause of that. Fast forward to 16 I am working at a Rafting Outfitter and coming down the river road one day meet a car in the corner with other car on my side! Off the road I go but the shoulder is a small cliff. 23 feet to be exact, my tire gets off the edge and instead of countersteering knowing I would roll I steered straight down. Hit the ground and "bounced" in my bosses barn. hahaha he was steamed but they caught the other driver. She was drunk so I was forgiven and the cops said I was so lucky, which I was...

Depressed my grandfather tried to cheer me up by giving me his 1970 Ford Bronco. To some that may be an amazing gift and as I will find out it was but in the condition it was in I was in store for some trouble... lol

LOL the pics do it no justice. He had wheeled it for the past 30 years on every trail in tellico, cumberland plateau, and any trail there was. He was fearless in this little beast. The next two years would completely change how I viewed the world and would change me as a person turning a boy into a man. I replaced every body panel except the windsheild frame, bed, dash, and one wheel well. It was rough as can be and I sacraficed alot for it. About a week after recieving the bronco I entered a poker run on my dirt bike. Two turns before the finish battling for 6th in the adult class I was hit in my swingarm causing me to go over the bars. I landed on the back of my head and injured my back. I was in alot of pain and had to be pulled off the course before I could finish. Thats when life started to change for me...

I wrestled in middle school so I realized I wasn't going anywhere with motorcycles anymore and wanted to still compete. I'm to small for football, hate baseball so I transfered high schools to wrestle for the state powerhouse. With a hurt back I attended physical therapy and learned to live with the pain so my stance in wrestling was a little funky. Restoring my bronco with every penny I had my dad said that was my vehicle and I need to figure out something to do to get to school, work, home. I went out and bought a Trek 1000 road bicycle, the best investment I have ever made. I rode that bike to school for 2 years every single day, rain, snow, sleet, heat it didn't matter. My brother ended up getting a little car but I was so used to riding I couldn't not ride. I started cross country as well so I rode 6 miles to school at 6 a.m. then ran 5 miles for XC practice, then lifted, went to school, then wrestling practice, then 3 miles to work, then 4 miles home. It was like that for ever and the results were paying off. My coaches called me the specimen because I had developed a full 10 pack (which was freaky looking now I got the 6 pack workin on the full keg lol) and was a machine. Working every day on the bronco little by little paying for parts on a bag boy budget had finally payed off. On Valentines day ten days before my birthday my little beast was done.

This thing is a beaut. I love it so much that I became terrified to drive it... It was a strange contradiction. So then I go to school because I've been trained to fight on the mats for so long when thats gone whats left? I decided to not wrestle in college and attended ETSU 3 and a half hours away. This was prob not a good idea because my next door neighbor and soon to be best friend was an alcoholic . This made me completely nuts but I did find me a super hottie.

After flunking out I moved back home not sure what to do with my life... So like any confused kid I went out and bought a toy. It was about 100 degrees one day and I saw this with windows up so I knew the A/C was good and asked how much he'd sell for. He priced it high but I was in love so I dropped 3k and picked up this bad boy.

Thats where my addiction began really, I learned how to pick the right lines wheeling IFS and really began to love being behind the wheel. Wheeled it a lot and was wondering what the next level was. The first pick is the first time I have ever gotten stuck. I had backed out about halfway before I was truly "stuck". I found that old tire and recycled it too!

Then right before christmas my little lady wanted me to get something newer, nicer, lower. So on a whim I went out and made one of the biggest mistakes of my life....

This would prove good for a few things, 1 it taught me to never buy a new car again, and 2 it created a trade. My brother had no heat in his 95 jeep yj and loved my 4runner, so I offered a trade. He accepted and thats where this whole jeep bug jumped up and bit me in the butt!!

1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The reason my brother wanted to trade was because he had no heat in the jeep. I found out in about 30 minutes his heater switch wasn't pulling the cable to engage the heater. lol... I wheeled the thing about as hard as I could with some god awful 31's for a long while. Realized the 31's were rubbing so I yanked off the old flares.

Then I wanted more height so I made an order and got a sweet knock on the door.

That was a happy day.

What sucked was putting it on. I had nothing but trouble, eventually finishing it up. While I was tinkering I threw on some Tj flares and made a hood mount for my lift.

It looked decent and I only had $3,429 bucks into it.

I hated the awful bumper color so I busted out the rustoleum.

Unread 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I needed a little trail communication instead of leaning out the window so I went to walmart and grabbed a cobra cb.

It works ok and like it for now...

Next I started wheeling it again, as often as I could.

Have had many adventures in this little heep and found some really cool things.

And had one heck of a time in it..... I'm a dam good lookin man! lol

Unread 12-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Then I made a big move in life and Jeep mods slowed way down!!

Got engaged and don't regret it at all but man o man the money went down the drain fast...

Paid a lady to shoot our engagement pics and wedding pics. As much money in the pics as in the heep now...

Then it was D-Day aka wedding day, bout to get ready.

Red hot smokin wife lookin pretty.

After the honeymoon things got back to normal and I started back wheeling the jeep.

Many trips to Tellico

More money in her rings than in the HEEP...........

Then I grabbed a hardtop! 200 bucks. With the uppers it came out to 250 totall!!

Unread 12-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thats pretty much it for now... Not sure what will be next on the list....
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i feel like i now know you on a much more personal basis
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Ironman23
1987 YJ Wrangler 

good stuff bro!

I feel like we need a "tell us your life" section on the forum... i think there would be some cool threads.
Ironman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
Jkanly

It took me about 45 seconds to look at all the pictures, yet I know 75% more about you than I did before
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the wedding, your a lucky man if she still lets you buy jeep parts. Have you thought about painting those rims black untill you get new ones. With the color scheme on your jeep I think it would look pretty good. You should thank your brother every day for being a weener and giving up his jeep!!
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Haha yeah I think many people don't understand each other and how I do things not only to my jeep but in general is because how I was raised. Everyone is different so it would be kinda unique... lol.

After the hardtop being put on it was much quieter and I loved that. It was a little warmer but I saw in the cheap tricks and fixes how to do an insulation. This proved to be one of my favorite mods to date. It really helps with the noise and heat.

These are some materials I used. Cat not necessary.

This glue is awsome!

Its not perfect but with some tweaking on it after these pics were taken it looks factory.

Unread 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thats a pretty sweet idea, i would of gone shag carpet though

are you gonna do the sides an everything inside the top ?
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

HAHA i can honestly say thats the first jeep ive ever seen with a carpet head liner.

and before someone beats me to it

More pics of the wife please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
KillerBBBs
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That was really neat...BUT WHAT WAS BEHIND THE DOOR ON THAT CEMENT WALL?

Khaki Jeep Club Member # 121
Sahara Owners Club Member # 44
KillerBBBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Haha I wish I had used shag carpet, that would be the glory hole... I am thinking of painting the inside of the top. It would be alot of work for me to do the insulation all over and I'm to lazy.

In time I will post more pics of the wifey. Maybe wheeling to keep it on topic too...

The big cement wall I found one day back in the mountains and wanted to go in so bad but it had a big lock on it. The door looked like a midgets door it was only about 3 feet tall. I think its a flume but I tell people its a military bunker.
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

"MAN", I know you better than my own wife now. This is better than watching soap opra's. Talk about reality show ha ha. The bronco, what happened with the bronco? More, more, keep it comming!!!!!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.