Turn Signals stop flashing when Headlights turned on...Please Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signals stop flashing when Headlights turned on...Please Help!!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #1
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Turn Signals stop flashing when Headlights turned on...Please Help!!

Hey ALL,

I'm new to this forum, looking for some help ASAP.
I've got to send my Jeep for an out of province inspection in two days and i'm having issues with the front turn signals. They stop working (stay on solid) when I turn the headlights on. I've replaced the flasher, bulbs, and tested a couple connections by the signal light that was first giving me issues (front right). Now both front lights don't flash. Both tail lights and front left marker light flash no problem. Front right marker light doesn't come on at all even with new bulb in place. I'm in a serious time crunch and spent a solid 4 hours pulling apart switches and connectors, wires, etc today with still no results. Any ideas? or perhaps a better method to troubleshoot the issue? I'm new to vehicle wiring as well. I bought a test light and pulled out my Voltmeter to give this a solid effort.

TmcT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm leaning towards it being a ground fault issue maybe, but I'm not sure the best method for troubleshooting that? Especially since there seems to be several ground wires sharing the same location to the body.
I can say the front right turn signal was giving me problems first (not turning on at all, then going on if I tap on the cover but staying on solid and bright), then when I replaced the bulbs in both front signal lights they both stay on now steady without flashing once I turn the headlights on, but they both flash normal with the head lights out..... that's why I think ground issues... I heard that the ground for the lights change when the headlights are on/off.
Also the front right marker light has not worked in years but never looked into why (probably related) i changed the bulb and still nothing, i think the connector is faulty so I cut it off to replace hopefully I can find one at a local parts store *(any way to by-pass this if i run out of time?)...

Thanks to anyone who can help me sooooooon.
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My out of province inspection is Tuesday AM so I'm on a serious mission to get this solved.
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The front fixtures need to be grounded with the special shoulder screws used. These screws clamp the fixtures to the grill.

The side markers wire in using the running light wire for power and the signal light wire for ground. This makes them flash with the signals when the headlights are off and alternate flash when the lights are on. The socket is a common one that Canadian tire or Napa has. GM vehicles Aldo use these sockets.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The front fixtures need to be grounded with the special shoulder screws used. These screws clamp the fixtures to the grill.
Thanks Mike! I'll try remounting the ground wire to the body. Just to clarify, are the "special shoulder screws" just the ones with a washer that has jagged sides? Can I buy these at Can tire perhaps? If so, what would they call them?

Also to clarify, this is the ground location to the right of the headlight close to the radiator mount... is there any other ground locations I should be remounting?

Secondly:
If my voltmeter with the red terminal on the battery positive and the black on this ground point, should there be any reading? No right? Would that be the best test of a good ground to this location?
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ANY IDEA WHY THIS IS WIRED TO THE DEFECTIVE RIGHT MARKER LIGHT?
*Also as a total automotive electronic newbie what is it???* looks like a fuse to me?

When checking the wiring and ground to the aforementioned right marker light I found this spliced into the power wire (blue/red) coming from the turn signal directly.
It was soldered into a split in the wiring and goes to nowhere but a loose ground by the jack mount (found the whole black square part sitting in the empty jack mount)

So there were 4 wires all crazy taped together into a bundle. Red one from the turn signal had 12v power, the black was to the ground on the body. Two red wires just taped all up going nowhere, one with a dirty 30A fuse (was in the white part by my thumb) as part of it's run.

-Should I put this back in place when I reinstall the marker light connector?? That's my real concern..

-Could this be someone's wiring solution to adding fog lights at some point in time? Just left sitting around?
img_2568.jpg   img_2563.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think my haynes diagram shows this as being a part of the wiring, I don't know for sure... NEWBIE!
img_2569.jpg  
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I must admit this is the first time i've ever tried to read one of these things....
so I could be blind or just ignorant. But i'm learning
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

one more stupid question:

-when it says left headlight, right headlight etc. in the diagram... is that looking at the vehicle from the front using my left and right? or from the back looking forward? I couldn't find any solid landmarks in the wiring diagram to give me those bearings...

I'm literally brand new to wiring as of yesterday
Unread 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If I am not mistaken all you stuff will be from sitting in the drivers seats. Including tie rod ends and ball joints too for future reference.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/littleredjeep-build-669382/

_____
/| ,[___],
|--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
littleredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm at the Canadian Tire (automotive) right now and they treated me like I was a moron for asking for "special shoulder screws"
Any idea what else they could be called? Or a description?
I explained to their techs what I'm using them for and they had no clue..
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any way I can just use a screw and washer or bolt for the ground to body?
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks littleredjeep!
Unread 07-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
TmcT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks to me like the old screws being used for mounting are just silver self tapping screws
Unread 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It really doesn't matter that much what you use as long as it stays tight and has a good clean surface to make a solid ground. If you don't have a solid ground some crazy stuff can happen with electrical stuff.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669382

_____
/| ,[___],
|--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
littleredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.