Turn Signal/Wiper Multi-Function Lever - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signal/Wiper Multi-Function Lever

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Turn Signal/Wiper Multi-Function Lever

How does one repair the Actuator Arm that connects the lever to the turn signal switch? The Actuator Arm in my YJ broke and I am able to get to the part that is on the switch (still connected by a screw) but can't see how to get to the part that is attached to the lever.

JeepForum.com - Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The stalk should just be a pressed fit into the column. If your stalk(lever arm) broke, you can try drilling into the remainder and then thread in a screw in an attempt to pull out the remaining piece. If all attempts fail, the the only remaining option is to remove the steering wheel and then the multi switch.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

@Idaholtby - not the lever, the actuator arm. My pic shows the little black arm that is mounted to the (white) plastic of the turn signal switch. If you follow from the mounting screw to the left, you will see that it is broken. I tried to line up the piece that is attached to the lever and take a pic. I don't know whether or not the lever has to be replaced or just the actuator arm.
Anybody have a pic of the part of the lever (stalk) that is inside the column/housing and how it attaches to the actuator arm?

Quote:
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
@Idaholtby - not the lever, the actuator arm. My pic shows the little black arm that is mounted to the (white) plastic of the turn signal switch. If you follow from the mounting screw to the left, you will see that it is broken. I tried to line up the piece that is attached to the lever and take a pic. I don't know whether or not the lever has to be replaced or just the actuator arm.
Anybody have a pic of the part of the lever (stalk) that is inside the column/housing and how it attaches to the actuator arm?
Looking at your pic, it appears that this broken bracket is part of the turn signal switch it'self. If this is the case, your only resloution is to replace the entire switch within the column.
Unread 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

idaholtby, I wish that it were. I picked up a switch from Autozone and it didn't have the Actuator Arm attached to it. Images from Quadratec and 4WD also do not display the arm. Haynes manual and FSM state that it is separate but neither manual describes how to get to the multifunction lever, or at least I haven't found it.

Quote:
Unread 05-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
idaholtby, I wish that it were. I picked up a switch from Autozone and it didn't have the Actuator Arm attached to it. Images from Quadratec and 4WD also do not display the arm. Haynes manual and FSM state that it is separate but neither manual describes how to get to the multifunction lever, or at least I haven't found it.
Sorry to here that. I have replaced both the stalk and multi switch in the past and I do not recall having the issue you are describing. If I was you, I would scour the bone yards or visit the dealership and see what they can do. Even from a dealership, this part should not be expensive if it is still available. Beyond that, you can make it one again if you have Fab skills. It is all just metal and can be made good again with the proper means and needs.
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK, found a way to disassemble: Tilt Column Fix - Dale's Jeep Junk
and the part is about $20 through dealerships; gonna look for a JY.

Quote:
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, that is the link that Patrick has supplied in the past. Best of luck, and report back when you have it fixed or have questions
Unread 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll order the actuator arm today and pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it tomorrow evening; otherwise, it'll wait until the weekend. Just watch out for my handsignals!

Quote:
Unread 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

We sell the switches too in anyone's in a bind and needs one.

Wrangler Turn Signal Switch

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So...I haven't gotten around to this yet and, after reading through Dale's site, was wondering how (idaholtby) if I can remove the stalk/lever and then the housing without taking down the steering column. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you can do this in place. No need to remove the column from the Jeep.
Unread 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
The stalk should just be a pressed fit into the column. If your stalk(lever arm) broke, you can try drilling into the remainder and then thread in a screw in an attempt to pull out the remaining piece. If all attempts fail, the the only remaining option is to remove the steering wheel and then the multi switch.
I know that you previously stated that the stalk is just 'pressed in' - does that mean I can just pull it out? Otherwise, how do I remove the stalk and the multiswitch? or am I incorrect in assuming that the other end of the actuator arm is attached to the multiswitch/stalk?
Thanks!

Quote:
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The stalk simply pulls out. The multi-switch however is kind of a PITA. You need to dissasemble the column to get to it.
Unread 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dang you're fast!
OK, I'll try it Wednesday. Also, not the multi-switch because the wiper/washer functions work and the turn signal switch works too, just need to connect the actuator arm to the switch and stalk. If the stalk pulls out of the column, then I should be able to slip off that housing, right? That should give me access to the connection point of the actuator arm to the stalk.
Thanks!

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.