Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Turn Signal Flasher Upgrade for LED on Jeep YJ

41K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  mark1305 
#1 ·
Based on my recent installation to a '95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-

If you install rear LED tail lamps, you don't need to worry about resistors or "equalizers." Install the lamps and then replace your stock 2-prong turn signal flasher (under the dash to the left of clutch pedal) with a Novita EL12 electro-mechanical flasher.

Otherwise, your signals will not flash.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have an EL-12 flasher I got from Napa. It works fine on my LED tail lights. There's no reason why it wouldn't work with the front LED's also. Because like the OP says, it's a mechanical flasher. It doesn't care what's hooked up to it.

#10 ·
I had Tridon EL12 and changed to Novita EL12 but i have heard they are the same brand and just changed the name to Novita recently. I tried both brands in both the hazard and blinker slots to no avail. They both worked with just the LED tail lights. But I changed the front bulbs and now no flash at all. It's not hyper flash.

I'm about to try the ones listed above with the extra ground wire which I believe are called "no load flashers." I've found some from Keep It Clean That appear not to have an extra wire but I have my doubts and don't want to waste money on return shipping.

Also Poison Spyder appears to have one they claim works with a fixed flash but still skeptical.

nosduj do you have LED tail lights and all 4 front bulbs replaced with LEDs on a YJ?

#17 ·
I do, all lights on my yj are now led, I haven't changed the dash lights yet, but head lamps, turn signals, and side markers up front are all led. Im running max bilt led tails. I'll post a photo for you tomorrow.

I had Tridon EL12 and changed to Novita EL12 but i have heard they are the same brand and just changed the name to Novita recently. I tried both brands in both the hazard and blinker slots to no avail. They both worked with just the LED tail lights. But I changed the front bulbs and now no flash at all. It's not hyper flash.

I'm about to try the ones listed above with the extra ground wire which I believe are called "no load flashers." I've found some from Keep It Clean That appear not to have an extra wire but I have my doubts and don't want to waste money on return shipping.

Also Poison Spyder appears to have one they claim works with a fixed flash but still skeptical.

nosduj do you have LED tail lights and all 4 front bulbs replaced with LEDs on a YJ?

#11 ·
I have the same problem with the front blinkers. They don't flash when LED bulbs are installed. I've used several different electronic flashers but none worked. I've heard that the flasher with ground wire is an option, but I haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
My front turn signals are LEDs as well as the rear tail lights. My turn signals work but the flashers don't. My turn signals have an electronic flasher with a ground and the hazard e-flasher does not. It appears I need one with a ground for both.

#16 ·
This is all very informative and good to know.... as i will be changing out my original sidemarkers (which are now relocated to the front of my tubes) with LED (cutting the wires). Also adding and additional 4 LED dime sized markers/hazards (2× on each side) spliced into the factory wiring as soon as they arrive from china.

#26 · (Edited)
I got that ef32rl off ebay that is pictured in this thread. I had to extend the ground wire about 4 inches to find a decent ground. It works good enough but it clicks an extra time or two once its off. The fender lights only flash when the headlights are on and the grill flashers work on/off when the head lights are off which i think is normal.

When the headlights are on the grill flashers don't really show a major difference when flashing but it is noticeable. That's probably just the leds that i got off ebay for those bulbs (54 led amber because I've also got the smoke housings for all the flashers which are pretty dark). The leds in the fenders are Sylvania but the grill ones appear to be of some Chinese generic bulbs that came in an anti static plastic pouch.

I'll be getting another one of these flashers for the hazards which I imagine will work.

Btw my tail lights are ORO LiteDOT LEDs which I love even though I've had to do a warranty replacement which they asked no questions and i only sumitted one picture showing the 3 of the leds were out.

#29 ·
Just installed 3 turn markers (dime sizes LEDs). The one in the front of my tubes as well as the side plate of my tubes (front end) are both spliced into the original circuit. They work flawlessly, that is until i turn on my day lights or headlights. Then i get nada at all... with the rear end... i get nada..at any time. Went on amazon and ordered the el12 with ground wire. I imagine this will get the issue rectified. Simply posting this to keep everything in one thread for future YJers.

Attachments

#30 ·
Ordered one 32rl elec flasher.

Hoping this solves the issue. I saw here swapping my standard flasher from the hazard location for the 32rl and the standard flasher for the turn signals worked?

My issue is the rears do not work at all... and the fronts only blink when my headlights are off. (This is also the vase with the hazards).

#31 ·
HELP!!!

I had the EL12 flasher, and that works with the LED replacement 2057 bulb in the tail light, but when I replace the front turn signal bulb with an LED2057 I get no flash (and the dash turn signal indicator stays on solid, like if I have a bad bulb)

I replaced the flasher with a grounded EF32RL, same thing, no flash when I use both front and rear LED bulbs.

I really dig the brighter LED bulbs, how can I get both front and rear to work together

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.