Turn signal to fast, brake/turn fuses blowing and a gas gauge with an identity chrisi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn signal to fast, brake/turn fuses blowing and a gas gauge with an identity chrisi

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
pyro9862

Turn signal to fast, brake/turn fuses blowing and a gas gauge with an identity chrisi

My jeep keeps blowing fuses for the turn signals and brake lights. Before the fuse the turn signals blink faster than they should. The gas gauge also likes to go between full and empty with the blinking of the signals. I can see a wire grounding out blowing the fuses and adding resistance causing the signals to blink faster but what is up with the gas gauge?

pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
nutterbetter

bad ground?

six cylinder 4.2 engines have a ground strap at the back of the cylinder head that will break off . dont know your engine but probably same place for others . had similar problem and had trouble tracking the problem down. i revvd the engine and the gauge would go up and down all sort of electrical probs.
nutterbetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Fast Kawasaki

gas gauge is probly touching one of the light wires and or grounding out...check all connections. Fast blinking is also cause by a bad/burned out bulb ...
Red Jeep Club Member #340
White Jeep Club Member #187
Fast Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
pyro9862

Well I put in a new flasher and the blinking is now at normal speed. The ones that came out (non-original) read 53ohms and the new one read 43ohms so I guess that's part of the problem. I also found one stripped wire under the dash that I fixed, not for a turn signal but I'm sure it saved me some future headache.

My fuel gauge still flies around though both when the turn signal is on and when I hit bumps so I still have another problem. I tried my flashers and get nothing which is probably a big contributer here. I'm going to go clean up my grounds and see if that gets me anywhere. Is it possible the flasher switch is bad and grounding out?

The bulbs are all good and it's both sides, a burnt bulb would only affect one side woudn't it? I've never had one go on a jeep before (only thing that hasn't broken so far) but most cars only the bad side blinks.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.