Turn Signal/Brake Light Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Turn Signal/Brake Light Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Turn Signal/Brake Light Issues

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum (first post actually), and hoping that this is posted in the right spot. Anyhoo, so I have a 93 YJ that started having some blinker and left brake light problems. To be specific: driver side tail light does not blink when signaling left or illuminate when braking. It does however light up as a running light. The driver side marker stays solid when turning left (goes completely off if the headlights are turned on and I go to signal left). Finally, the front driver side stays solid when turning left regardless of headlights being on or off. All lights work perfectly fine on the passenger side. From what I've seen, solid signals seem to indicate a bad bulb but all seem to be in working order so I can't really imagine it being that. I've read a few similar threads regarding some of these issues but wanted to get some more specific advice on what could be causing this. I really appreciate any help! Thanks!

-Devin

dhunt09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your rear tail light/ blinker bulb is the same bulb. It is a dual fillamint bulb. One fillamint can burn out and the other will keep working. One fillamint is for the running lights and the other is for the brake/ blinker. That's what it sounds like to me. I would replace the rear bulb and that should fix it.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I kinda got confused when reading your post, but there are three things I check with any light issue.
First the bulbs the above comment is correct some times dual filament bulbs can burn up one filament and not the other. Try a new bulb first.
Second check the flasher at the fuse panel. There is one for the turn signals and one for the hazard lights (yes I know they are the same lights but for some reason they are on separate flashers). When they go bad the light will remain on and refuse to blink.
Third, there is a connector at the steering column that all of those lights run through. Check to make sure it is connected properly. You can find it by tracing the wires from the turn signal switch.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The "light going off when the headlights are on" is the key. You have a bad ground, probably the left rear. Remove the lens, then the housing. The ground is provided by the mounting screws. Clean the screws and mounting holes to shiny bright. I would change the bulbs, while you're at it.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You guys rock! Took the housing off the rear driver side cleaned the screws and holes and replaced the bulbs while I was in there and everything is working perfectly. Did the same to the passenger side since the bulbs were in 2-packs.

One thing I did notice however (and it makes absolutely zero difference to me) is that the front signals flash in unison with the side markers when the headlights are off but flash at different times when they're on. Again, I really don't care as long as they're flashing to begin with but I was kinda curious if anyone knew why?

Thanks again for the help!!!

-Devin
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Devin, welcome to the forum. Be careful this place is addicting(excuse my spelling). Any question you have we will try to answer and you can search the forum to find any problem you can think of. You will probably find your solution or a cool upgrade you can do(there's a million). This is the best place on the web for jeepers.

Bernie
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
dhunt09
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Haha dude I can tell, I haven't stopped looking through all the mod threads. This is my first Jeep and I've only had it for a little over a year but **** its all I think about now

On top of that I'm stoked to connect up with some other local Jeepers. Haven't met anyone or even seen another jeep that looks like it gets any action. Been the only one I've ever seen out hitting the trails and mud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.