turbo in a jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > turbo in a jeep?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #1
chino

turbo in a jeep?

what do you guys think about puttin a turbo in a 4cyl? what will I need to put the turbo in?

chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
Huntersbo

I like it!

You need
forged pistons,
rods,
mabe forged crank.
low static compression (mabe 6:1 for 87 octane)
larger injectors based on the hp
possibly remap the computer for proper fuel inrichment
how will you bleed off boost?
are you going to rework the heads?

Best bang for the buck this is! Turbo Diesels are the most effiecint theing we have got going right now with the limit to boose bieng breaking stuff adn diesel is almost raw kerosene form the oil field but because it has more btus it now cost more than gasoline so they have really grabbed a hold of us and it sucks becuse if I did not run old relaible 6 I would want to run a heavy 1200 lb diesel and get 17 mpg.

I would read books on it first-books on engine management systems too because it won't be easy. It is a great idea because I like turbos however suprechargers are nice too. If you can control the pulse width to shorten the pulse width while the supercharger is not blowing and save some gas because you do not need the torque cruising and it is alot more fun when you do not always have it and can double your torque on a buton!
Huntersbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Huntersbo

You could run stock compresson or evne higher with a big cam and have the midrange 5000+ rpm and with the turbo can boost the low end and have a huge flat torque curve! A guy did this on his 1970s ford F-250 390 he built a TPI for it and turboed it and he loved it and got decent gas mileage too!
Huntersbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
chino

how much do you think this will run me?
thanks for the help
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You need to make sure it will be legal in your state. I was going to do it on mine but learned that it will not pass smog inspection in California.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Huntersbo]I would read books on it first-books on engine management systems too because it won't be easy. It is a great idea because I like turbos however suprechargers are nice too. If you can control the pulse width to shorten the pulse width while the supercharger is not blowing and save some gas because you do not need the torque cruising and it is alot more fun when you do not always have it and can double your torque on a buton![/QUOT

torque on a button? what?
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
slater03
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A turbo would be extremely easy in a jeep.
Get a small turbo like a Mitsubishi 14b (I have one Ill sell if ya need one )
Flanges can be bought from here www.jgstools.com
Run an adjustable fmu for the fuel
Get a water injection system so you dont have to run intercooler piping
Atleast get a narrowband Air/Fuel gauge but a wideband would work better
Running about 5-6 psi should be safe for everyday on stock internals. everything can be had for under $1000.
slater03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
chino

I was thinking of buying a stock srt-4 turbo and intercooler on ebay.
Do you guy think thats a good idea or should i look for anothere turbo?
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
chino

I would like it boosting between 10 and 14 pound. Could you imagine holw cool a jeep would sound with a bov
Unread 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino
I would like it boosting between 10 and 14 pound. Could you imagine holw cool a jeep would sound with a bov
if your deciding to boost that much, you better be counting on replacing ALL internal engine components and doing some serious beefing up of the ignition and fuel systems!!!!!
it's not just a bolt on system, you need to modify other things to make RELIABLE horsepower. if you boost that much on a stock motor, you blowing it up.....hands down.
the stock motor can handle maybe 6lbs MAX, before you start serious overheating and damage to internals. a turbo is not an easy thing, or cheap horsepower....
it's a big thing to plan out, and know what your doing. if you don't know about turbo's, or engine performance. have someone else who knows how to, do it.

i've had a subaru wrx turbo for about 4 years now, and i STILL wouldn't know how do mess w/ fuel trim, spark curves, boost, and timing all together to produce good reliable horsepower. and i'm a mechanic, and know a good deal about engine performance and turbo operation.

do your research, it's the BIGGEST money saver for you.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
yarosig

Don't invest that much money into a 2.5 4banger. You would be better getting a 170hp ish toyota or nissan motor. Which would already have decent power. Good luck getting it to mate with the ax5 or 15 transmission though.
yarosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
speedracer2536

why not in the 2.5 i had one and drove the living **** out of it and it never let me down once and a turbo would be bad *** on one
www.krawltex.com
if your in austin look them up best guys to deal with hands down
speedracer2536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you guys are throwing minsinformation out like crazy. did i really read 6:1 static cr???!!! lol and 6 psi max on the stock cast iron block? guys, seriously, don't spread misinformation. it's totally misleading to the people reading this thread who have no idea about this tuff and are trying to learn.

do some research... i wouldn't do it in a hundred years... it will never be as reliable as a stock engine, the power band will not be linear which will SUCK off road, and you will end up with a hack job manifold, piping, etc unless you happen to have the big bucks or skills to actually fabricate quality parts. your jeep already has enough crap to break, why would you want to add more to that list??

if you want more power than swap in a 4.0 or a small block. you could do a small block swap for less than $500 if you looked hard enough for a deal on a used motor and you have the tools and fabrication skills necessary for little stuff like mounts and such.

-Erik <--- laughing about how much everyone here "knows" about turbo's
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
brundz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you cold never swap a small block for 500 bucks...thats just not possible. yes you could get a motor and trans for under 500 bucks if your lucky. but dont forget that for it to drive you'll need new driveshafts, cooling, at least a rear axle and have to do something with the transfer case whether get an adapter or get a different one. and those little things like mounts and wire add up alot more than you would think.

jeeps r sweet
brundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
brundz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

a turbo on the 4 cyl is feasible if you have some mechanical skill. i'm no expert on turbos but the 4 cyl has a 9.1:1 compression ratio. optimal compression for a turbo is 8.5:1 so its not that far off. i would say 7psi on stock internals isn't gonna hurt anything. in the late 80's dodge made a turbo caravan with the same 2.5 motor that the jeeps have. if you could find one (hard to find i'm sure) you could take the turbo, exhaust manifold, you could run larger injectors or a 5th injector for more fuel for the extra air being pushed in the motor. and with all the space that the 4cyl leaves in the engine compartment an intercooler would be very easy to pipe. go to an exhaust shop and get some custom pipes bent so you can mate the stock exhaust to the turbo. its not unreasonable to consider for more power in the 4 banger. a full drivetrain swap is more intimidating than tryin to work a turbo into the motor and all i would want it for is a lil extra omfff on the highway. the 4 has plenty of power offroad

jeeps r sweet
brundz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.