Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tummy Tuck on a YJ?

23K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Anticanman 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals. I have been searching for a bit and i can only find threads for TJ tummy tucks. I was curious if its been done, can it be done, should it be done, and how to do it if its possible for a YJ. I am in the process of swapping frames for my 95yj and i just thought since im replacing the motor mounts, the body mounts if it just requires and little body lift and a MML and getting a new skid plate i might as well do a tummy tuck. I do plan on getting a suspension lift in the future but my wallet and my schedual are telling me get her on the road before snow flies lol. Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
My over all goal is to have a low COG build. I have seen acouple homemade highline jobs that i really like. Im just trying to set myself up for the build now and not have to replace new body mounts with a BL and new MM with a new MML in several months. I would rather ,if possible without going through the SYE and new CV Shaft, just do the little things now and when comes time to do my highline and lift have the tummy tuck done.

#7 ·
I have a few friends who took a gamble and installed Tera belly-ups & all of them have removed them because they were sorely dissatisfied with how they did not hold up. Some of these were on YJ's while others were on TJ's. Most of them were so deformed & bent, that they tossed 'em in the nearest dumpster & then built their own.

One friend got so sick & tired of removing it after every offroad run so he could bend it back (even after reinforcing it) that he wouldn't even sell it to an enemy, or give it away for free. For light duty use, they *might* be okay, but if you like to play in the rocks, I'd pass on the Tera BU.

These installs I'm talking about above, were all done some years ago, so maybe things have changed with the Tera BU. :dunno:

Maybe you can try PMing a couple of my friends Joel (zman) or Matt Pascoe (Matt Pascoe) & ask 'em how they did their homebrew BU's on their YJ's.

Joel:

Matt:

Here's some interesting reading concerning a review I saw on another website:

TeraFlex Belly DON'T
Date: Mar 21, 2005
Reviewer: A JeepReviews.com User from (Sacramento, CA)

I installed this product on a '94 YJ. It created a major domino effect on things I had to change or modify behind the installation.

Use caution when considering this product.

TeraFlex writes a nice CYA, however, it does not include any mention of welding required. The sales ads say all of the buzz words of modifications that "may" be needed, but DO NOT state that welding is required. They also include some engine spacers, NO GOOD. So, consider these things when purchasing, above and beyond what TeraFlex advertises; 1" motor mounts, welding the provided spring perches to your axle (for correct drive line angle), and motor fan shroud clearence. Definately make some considerations before purchasing this product. I spoke with multiple 4x4 parts stores and installers and found only one person that has installed this product. Try and talk with someone that has installed this product, because TeraFlex's instruction sheet is USELESS!

#14 ·
the teraflex belly up is definetly not worth the money.:thumbdown: high priced junk.when i got it the paint was already chiping off.you need 2" body lift for a standard trans jeep or the trans hits the tub. i wish i had bought the nth-degree. from what i've seen so far it's worth the little extra money.

#9 ·
Thanks Joe Dillard for the heads up on the Teraflex BU skid. After researching them i wish i had the fab skills to make my own. It seems like a pretty easy concept that can cost anywhere from $450-1000+. I will have to look into seeing if i can find someone to take a piece of 1/4" steel, cut it and drill acouple holes lol. My main question for this thread is If i do a BU/TT will i need to do a SYE and change driveshafts or will my stock YJ with saggy leafs be able to hold out until i get my lift when i plan on doing the SYE and everything? I know a BU/TT is something im going to want to do but my wallet isnt going to let me throw a lift with everything that goes with that. I am swapping frames now so the MML and the BL would be easy to throw on. Thanks Guys i appreciate the help.

#10 ·
My guess is that raising the tcase up ~3" has a good chance of upsetting rear driveline angles & a SYE & CV is likely, but I can not tell you for certain. Yea, a MML would help, but I don't know if that alone would be enough on a stock suspension.

I view it as if a 3" suspension were to be added since the "cause & effect" would be similar.

Maybe a simple shim of the rear axle pinion angle would do the trick if the resulting TT caused vibes.

#11 ·
Thats what i was looking for. After seeing the price of the premade skids and their quality plus the cost i would incure doing the sye im going to roll with a 1" daystar body lift for the time being and when i go to put my suspension lift on ,probably in the spring, i'll fab my own skid get the MML and do all of that at once. My main concern right now is getting her back on the road so ill just hold off. Thanks for your help guys :cheers2:

#19 ·
You dont have to worry about me leaveing anytime soon lol. I have belonged to several different forums for different types of vehicles and in the 6 months i have been a member here i learned more then years of school could have taught me about jeeps. Plus there are so many helpful top notch craftsmen willing to throw you ideas for any type of project. Also its great to post a question and have several answers within a few minutes lol. :cheers2: Keep on jeepin. -Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.