Tuffy console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tuffy console

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tuffy console

Wanted to put a tuffy stereo console in my 95 yj. Why does all the catalogs show only a 6.5 wide will fit? The tub, seats, and seat risers all show 76-06. What's the deal?

Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Measure the space between bolsters and go from there I guess
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

At some point in YJ production, they moved the seats away from the doors - I think in 1992 or 1993. This decreased the space between the seats, so only a 6.5" wide console will comfortably fit. I went to Ammo can instead of paying $300 for the Tuffy - see my sig for details. All the less expensive security consoles seem to be wider...
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
At some point in YJ production, they moved the seats away from the doors - I think in 1992 or 1993. This decreased the space between the seats, so only a 6.5" wide console will comfortably fit. I went to Ammo can instead of paying $300 for the Tuffy - see my sig for details. All the less expensive security consoles seem to be wider...
x2!!! I've messed with this...! I made a Craigslist 10in wide tuffy fit in my jeep by turning my seats, putting the cup holder behind, and stuffing it as far forward as possible... that said, I wouldn't do it again.

my understanding of it is, when they moved the seats in 92, they did so to allow for reclining seats (??) as mine recline - I was going to move them out, but I saw that they would hit the roll bar when reclining if I moved them too far, so I turned them, only about 1 inch, hard to notice when you're sitting in it if I didn't tell ya

edit: also, it's still a bit rough to fold the seat forward without the seatbelt getting caught on it, but it works alot better than when I first mounted it, it would have torn the seats over time.

more edit:
thread from when I did it the first time...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...nsole-1370582/
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

20mm Ammo can
consol4.jpg   consol7radio.jpg   consol6.jpg  
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
20mm Ammo can
#theneverendingaxe
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used to have a VDP 8" wide console and then picked up this 6.5 Tuffy. I do miss the extra room in the other console but this make finding things between the seats a lot easier and you can always fit larger seats

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good Gawd... Love the ammo can console... that is beautiful!

I have a smittybilt console in my 94 yj. http://www.quadratec.com/products/14013_00XX_PG.htm

It is a tight squeeze between the seats, but the console opens and closes no problem, even with my bestop seat covers. The passenger seat still functions properly. (the hinge mount i mean). Overall, I am very happy with it, and a deck fits no problem. (I have my cb mounted there though)
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 8" wide tuffy. It fit great with the stock seats and the junkyard seats I have now.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
I used to have a VDP 8" wide console and then picked up this 6.5 Tuffy. I do miss the extra room in the other console but this make finding things between the seats a lot easier and you can always fit larger seats

I like that change holder. where did you come by that?
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
Noclrnce
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a tuffy for the 88 yj I had and I bought the 10 inch. It fit perfect. I will measure tomorrow. It just seems odd to me.
Noclrnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I like that change holder. where did you come by that?
HAHA I put that in the same time as the center console and was more excited about that. I used to have a VDP center console with the change holder and used it a lot. So I just ripped it out and made little brackets to mount it under the dash
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a Tuffy 6.5" with the 8" stereo head for 10+ years. The photos above make it look like it's all a perfect fit, but as some have said, in your 95, the 8" part will rub the seats pretty badly, and over time transfer paint and wear out the seat. Unlike the photos above with a CB in there, I used a DIN stereo, and got to like it there a lot. Because of the seat issue though, I sold my Tuffy last summer for $80 and bought $40 worth of steel to make a 16 gauge box of my design and to make the bending brake needed. Now I have a custom console and a new tool on the shelf, and change left.

If you can weld and have some design imagination, figure out what will be best for you and go for it.

Here is mine. The partly visible piano hinge hides a flip over cover for the stereo if I want to lock everything, but I usually just lock it as shown. I had some brown leather left from another project. I got the lock and keys from Tuffy for $12 or so. The angled front part is a removable panel to easily add options. The red stereo part is held in with slots and one wing nut to make for stereo wiring easy (hated the Tuffy for that).

Unread 05-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I actually have a newer style YJ seat on the drivers side. You can tell the difference in space between the seats and center console in the pictures. The driver side is definitely closer, but does not rub.

I customized my Tuffy as well and kept it under $100(used). But I do like your console a lot though since its completely custom
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I had a Tuffy 6.5" with the 8" stereo head for 10+ years. The photos above make it look like it's all a perfect fit, but as some have said, in your 95, the 8" part will rub the seats pretty badly, and over time transfer paint and wear out the seat. Unlike the photos above with a CB in there, I used a DIN stereo, and got to like it there a lot. Because of the seat issue though, I sold my Tuffy last summer for $80 and bought $40 worth of steel to make a 16 gauge box of my design and to make the bending brake needed. Now I have a custom console and a new tool on the shelf, and change left.

If you can weld and have some design imagination, figure out what will be best for you and go for it.

Here is mine. The partly visible piano hinge hides a flip over cover for the stereo if I want to lock everything, but I usually just lock it as shown. I had some brown leather left from another project. I got the lock and keys from Tuffy for $12 or so. The angled front part is a removable panel to easily add options. The red stereo part is held in with slots and one wing nut to make for stereo wiring easy (hated the Tuffy for that).
How wide is yours Don?
#theneverendingaxe

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.