tuff country? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tuff country?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 12-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
Cjd99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

tuff country?

well, im at school and bored so was looking for lift kits, yes i kno, very productive;D i found a tuff country 3.5 inch lift, whats everybody think of them? any help is nice, thanks

Cjd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

In school and posting on JF. You should be trying to get you a seat cover to go ride around in the Jeep instead of daydreaming about a Tuff Country lift. Back to your question. You don't hear much about Tuff Country on here. There kits appear to be complete and have everything you will need.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Get something better.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with the better part. Dont do a lift kit only to have to replace it later and if your having to ask if its a good company its not a good company because we all know the usual good companies...rubicon express, BDS, EMU and the list goes on.
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
metalry101

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the Tuff Country 3.5" lift on my YJ. It sure wouldn't have been my choice, but the previous owner did choose it so I've been wheeling it for almost a year now.

I haven't spent much time in other YJ's recently, but it seems to be pretty stiff and bouncy. It didn't have any flex when I bought it, but that could have more to do with the tires running out of room and the bolts on the stock shackles being torqued way too tight. I have since installed some Rough Country 1.25" boomerang shackles at what seems to be a very reasonable torque level, and my flex has improved considerably. I didn't notice the ride getting any better, though it probably did.

I will say that I have beat on the springs a bit with no issues. I even snapped a stock shackle in half while down in Moab and couldn't find a replacement, so I drove home (about 240 miles) with only one end of the front right spring mounted to the frame. Honestly...other than a little bit of a lean, I really didn't notice it. I'm guessing that has something to do with the stiffness of the springs, but I am very pleased with the abuse my springs have shrugged off.

If I were buying a new kit today, I'd go for the RE 4.5" Extreme Duty, and I may still upgrade to those springs or something comparable in the future, but for now my Tuff Country springs (and shocks) are doing pretty well.

Utah Jeepcrew #26
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Cjd99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, muchly appreciated
Cjd99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.