Tucking my tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tucking my tank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Edit!!!! Read this before proceeding. I f-Ed up. Everything I did up until today (9-23) I did dry fitting (without the tank in place). Well tonight I tried putting the tank back in and It won't fit! The cross member in front of the tank will need some major trimming I am afraid. Will up date the solution to this problem, but till then be warned! I am truly sorry if you are following this before I made this discovery.

Update (1/21/13) All is good, cut the cross member and everything is working fine. Keep reading to see how it was done.

And on with the show.....

Got some vacation time coming up. Planning on installing my 8.8, but also want to tuck my gas tank skid while I am at it. Did a 1.25 inch body lift for the ucf belly up skid, so I know I can raise it at least 1.25 inches. Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I can go higher. Anyone know how much clearance there is between the top of the tank to the body on a stock set up. Can I get away with 1.75 or 2 inches of tuck? Will post picks when I get started. Am planning to do this cheap (ucf skid set me back) so I will be using the stock skid.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a gen right skid on the tank and raised it at least an inch and it can definitely be used as a skid now. I have no problems dropping it on a rock now.
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you gained an inch with a new skid, is that with stock body mounts? Defiantly plan to beef up the stock skid. Or, more realistic, once I tear it all down I will find I cant reuse the stock skid......then HAVE to get a new one!

F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
Unread 08-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah that was pre body lift
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks anti. Will post up some pics when complete. Might be a few weeks though.

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finally started the tucking project, I also started putting in my 8.8, so I might not have the tank back in until I get the axle in place....the extra room is nice. I have some pics, but I forgot to keep taking them, so I will describe as best I can. Really, this is any easy job.

I started by dropping the tank of course. It was mostly full, so it was a bit more of a challenge.

After I got the tank removed from the skid, I found a mess of rust and mud. There is rot through on the front passenger side of the skid. I knew about it, but didn't think it was that bad.

I was thinking of cutting out two inches from the skid. After looking the jeep over I might have had clearance issues with the fill tube. So instead I went with 1.5 inches....and I happened to have some 1.5 inch painters tape laying around.

I measured roughly 3/4 of an inch down from the lip of each side of the skid. Then carefully laid my painters tape below this line. Then lightly painted over the tape. Once dry, remove the tape. This is now the material I was to remove.

I used a careful hand and a 4 inch angle grinder to remove the lower section of each side first. Then I took each small cut off and used a metal band saw to cut off the top line and section. If you are following along and plan to just use and angle grinder, you are probably better off cutting the top line first and then the bottom line.

You will end up with two small sections of angle, and a much shorter main skid piece.

Then I just used c-clamps to hold my work and added a bunch of spot welds to join the pieces back together. After I had both sides spot welded, I ran full welds down all four sides.

I had intentions of beefing up the stock skid. I changed my mind due to the amount of rust. It was so bad, as i was welding I was getting instant burn through. So I slapped some scrap over the major holes and added a small section of angle to the outside passenger side corner instead. I just didn't see the need to put a ton of effort into something that probably will need replacing in a couple years anyhow.

I did dry test the fit and it looks great. I will get it painted and get some final shots of it before to long.

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshw301 View Post
Thanks anti. Will post up some pics when complete. Might be a few weeks though.

A few weeks, my foot!
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Grief for being done early?

Then I won't show you this picture of the dry fit after paint just dried.

Before for comparison

A little deceiving because the springs have no weight on them yet and I painted the lower body portion black. Got to get the thing back together, the wife wants her spot back before issac comes to visit. Yeah for rain!

As it sits currently

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's dang pretty. for the hard work!!
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It really wasn't to bad, maybe about 4 hours start to finish. The worst was the welding. The humidity was bad here even last evening, sweat built up in my helmet, when it drained out it looked like dip cup spit!

Thanks for your help with this, from your response I was confident I could go with an inch and a half.

Unread 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So you tucked 1.5" with a 1.25" body lift? Could you have gone more?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

With some body messaging, I think I could have done 2 inches easy, maybe 2.25. I am looking for another skid cheap to do 2 inches. My skid is not that great.

Unread 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this a mod you can do with a stock skid and no welding tools?
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotcarter View Post
Is this a mod you can do with a stock skid and no welding tools?
You might be able to just cut the mounting tabs off, and just make a new tab by folding the skid further down instead of cutting/welding. Then drill new holes and bolt it up.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Fuzzy_Wuzzy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am glad to see this works, i figured you could modify the stock skid just like that. I figure the need for extra beef on the skid is even less now that you have it up there 1.5" higher.

Now that you have it done do you think you could have removed the extra 0.5"?
Fuzzy_Wuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.