Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tub undercoating and such

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Turbomarty 
#1 ·
Just wanted some advice from people who have done it or whoever wants to chime in. Got the tub off the frame and am in the process of cleaning it up and painting it. I wanna make the underside pretty durable, was thinking of coating the underside with por and then top coating it with a rubberized undercoating such as the 3m schutz stuff. Should I even bother with the rubberized stuff or what?

#2 ·
You need to have something over the POR 15. If I remember right its not UV protected. There are some post here about flaking with the POR too. I havent got there yet so I cant say what would be best, but I would do a search and see what the experiences have been. I know there was something else that was recommended. Take pics, I would really like to see what I am going to be dealing with!

#4 ·
the thing with rubberized undercoating is its actually designed to be re-applied every few years. I agree with using chassis saver as the base, then a good rubberized undercoating under it. Just know you will need to recoat the undercoating every few years. Actually re-doing my undercoating now. Burned thru 4 cans already and have 2 left.

#10 ·
How did you get it inside the frame? What did you do to prep the inside of the frame. I'm in Michigan and I swear we have more salt on the roads than all the water in Pacific Ocean during the winter. It's rediculous. I need to do the frame before the winter.

#11 ·
I actually cut out square sections on the rear crossmember and put a pressure washer at the front end and let loose till i was satisfied and then sprayed with the Eastwood product it actually converts the rust and works quite well I'm impressed with it. Took me 1 1/2 cans per side its pretty messy stuff so taping of all holes is a must, unless you don't care I guess.

#12 ·
How did you actually get it to spray inside the frame? Plastic tubing. I though about it and I couldnt figure out how to get it from front to back inside the frame and get everything coated.

#14 ·
I would suggest Lizard Skin it is a sealer and a insulator to help keep the heat from coming thru the floor. I am in the process of do the underside and the inside of my jeep. It claims to lower the the radiated heat about 25 -30 degrees. That is my problem the floorboard gets to hot and the wife does not like riding in it when it is that hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.