Tub swap title questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tub swap title questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
lost in mud

Tub swap title questions

I want to see if anyone that lives in Ohio or Indiana has ever done a tub swap with a tub that did not come with a title.

I've been looking around on Ohio and Indiana BMV sites and can't really find a good answer.

I have a clear title for my jeep, but rust has gotten the best of it so I am looking to do a tub swap. There is a jeep salvage yard about hour from me that has plenty of tubs but he wont sell the titles with them. Should I look at these or continue to look for a tub that comes with a title?

lost in mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

while maybe "technically" illegal, I would just make sure you get at least a receipt/bill of sale from the yard showing the VIN # of the tub you're buying, then swap the VIN plate from your current to the replacement.

I mean, look at all the aftermarket replacement tubs available (Aluminum, steel and fiberglass)... I don't think those come with VIN/Title, do they?
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
lost in mud

i havent seen an aftermarket one that comes with a vin.

I want to do this by the books so everything is legal and I dont run into problems down the road (I move around the country for work every couple years)
lost in mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
MukYJ
Pronounced "Mucky J"

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd check with whoever is in charge of that kind of thing in your state. Here in Washington, the State Patrol can inspect home built, kit, and other vehicles without a VIN and issue a new VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
He's right, as soon as you remove the trackbar the fuel rail will arc on the battery, killing you and all the kittens in a ten mile radius.
MukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The VIN plate on the Yj is a separate plate that bolts onto the body. A receipt should be all you need, although I would talk to your local police to verify.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me

What the above poster said. Vin plate is attached to the wiper motor and it just bolts on.
Tub does not make a vehicle. Like changing hood or fender do you freak out about not having the correct vin on those? All the TJs have Vin stickers on every body panel. No one looks.. Vehicles are painted and things like that get taken off and not worried with.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.