Tub Removal - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tub Removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #31
craniumboy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My OCD wants me to do this and make sure the frame is good and paint with pot 15 or chassis saver

Unread 11-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
mbates96
1989 YJ Wrangler 

your OCD needs you to get your lift done first!
mbates96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #33
craniumboy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully by the end of the year!
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #34
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Probably going to have to do this soon. I didn't see anything about unhooking the heater core hoses... I would assume that has to be done, right? Leftlanetruckin, by unhooking the clutch and brake master cylinders at the pedal and pulling them did you completely avoid bleeding when you put them back together?

Thanks
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #35
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Turtle View Post
Probably going to have to do this soon. I didn't see anything about unhooking the heater core hoses... I would assume that has to be done, right? Leftlanetruckin, by unhooking the clutch and brake master cylinders at the pedal and pulling them did you completely avoid bleeding when you put them back together?

Thanks
Thats what I did for the clutch. I'm in the middel of a frame swap. Would have done the same for the brakes but had to pull all my lines anyhow.

I pulled the heater core hoses at the tub as well.

Leftlanes wriet up made it smooth sailing!
tub-removal-2-.jpg  
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #36
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, looks like I missed a few replies here.
Looks like all queries have been answered though
Yeah the heater hoses get unhooked from the tub in the engine bay.
The clutch, to be honest, I cant remember too well though, The past few I did got a 4.3/700r4 swap at the same time, so all clutch stuff just got ripped out pretty much.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
punchie71

i had to take out the rear seat belts as they are botled to the crossmember for the fuel tank.. size 50 torx bit does the trick!
punchie71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #38
whitwt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the post. This is my mission this weekend, but with my TJ. I assume they are similar enough. You put a 4.3 in you YJ right? Are you happy with it?
whitwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
MadMike03159
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Steering shaft

I know this thread has been idle for a while, however it is the best write-up I've found for tub removal. I'm in the process of revamping my 93 YJ with lift, tires, trans, monstaliner paint job and I am going to give the frame a one over while I wait for parts...

Anyways, I'm stuck trying to get the steering column off.

"unbolt the steering joint at the top joint to free the wheel"

I've taken the out the bolt just above the U-joint, I assume thats what the guide is speaking of, and yet the steering wheel will not budge . Any advice?
MadMike03159 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #40
MadMike03159
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ended up enlisting the help of my neighbor, a last resort as something always ends up broken. We removed the whole steering assembly from the dash only breaking a wiper connecter... But the steering wheel is free lol.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #41
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it.
You also could have removed the bolts on both ends of the shaft, and removed the steering box from the frame to pull the shaft. I don't know how hard the steering assembly is to remove, but sounds harder than this.

The thing is that these steering shafts are supposed to collapse in the center (like the front driveshaft) but are often rusted solid. And the only way to remove them without cutting, as you found out, is pull one end's mounting.

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #42
MadMike03159
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wasn't too bad, I'm sure fixing the wire connection will be though. Right now I'm trying to figure out seperating the wiring, everyone mentions remove the large plug from the fire wall beneath the washer tank, but no one mentions the giant wire harness going through the middle upper area of the fire wall. Havn't had much luck with search engines on this, what does everyone usually do with the wire harness? (Can't post picture using my tablet)
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #43
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I thought that connector was only on the 94, 95. Are you talking about a 12 pin connector?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #44
MadMike03159
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up disconnecting all the sensors from the motor and draping the whole wire harness over the windshield. Not sure if this is the best method but it's the only option I could see short of disecting the dash. Just trying to get the parking brake cable separated from the frame and the body and I should be homeward bound.
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For everyone that did this how long did it take you to remove the tub? I need to take my fenders off already and my hood needs some attention so I should do the tub as well when it's all apart. How long did it take to put it back on as well? Thanks
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.